Cornwall Football Forum

Wadebridge Town 0-0 St Blazey

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I understand Newquay's very own Peppermint was reporting for commercial radio on this match, perhaps he should have stayed at Mount Wise where 141 (7 from Penryn) saw Newquay edge closer to the top 5.

I look forward to reading Grahams report, having read 3 differing reports from last weeks Port v Nqy match, Peppermints is possibly the only way to get a balanced view.

I was at the match and on way back heard a very balanced report on Radio Cornwall from Blazey manager Bobby Oaten. Both teams equally matched first half trying to come to terms with the difficult surface - greasy and cutting up on top but still 'firm' underneath.

St Blazey looked better in second-half going forward repeatedly. However, I only counted St Blazey hitting the woodwork once with a thumping shot coming back off the bar but, despite this, and for all their efforts, somehow they still didn't really look like scoring. Wadebridge could have taken all three points near the end but for an excellent save by St B keeper from a free kick which took a deflection.

All-in-all it was actually a pretty good game and I think a point a piece was about right.

Ok Dan - eyesight must be playing up - perhaps I only heard it hit the woodwork once! Anyway I was quite impressed by the way your team tried to play football. Just seemed to lack a cutting edge.

Bridgers struggled to keep the ball at your end of the pitch for about 20 to 30 minutes of the second half which is when you looked most dangerous but got better again last 15 mins or so.

Guest Peppermint

Sorry Andy but Dan was correct - according to my notes St Blazey hit the upright in the first half when Jimmy Vernon fumbled a shot onto the post and was grateful that the ball rebounded into his arms.

In the second half the visitors hit the outside of the upright and then hammered the ball against the crossbar.

It was a throughly entertaining match despite the 0-0 scoreline and both side are to be congratulated for trying to play good football on a pitch that did, as Andy stated, cut up as the game progressed.

Jimmy Vernon made two brilliant saves in the second half when St Blazey got on top and Tom Blackler prevented Martin Cook from snatching a winner in the dying moments with a free kick that the flying keeper did well to turn away. It was fot the most part end to end football with first one side on top and then the other.

I am sure that both managers will point to chances that came and went and make a case for their side winning but taking the whole ninety minutes I think a draw was a fair result. Having a chance to grab a word with Stuart Dudley he was happy with a point and I am sure Bobby Oaten his opposite manager was reasonably happy with a point.

Some good performances on both sides Yeatman [ hopefully I have his name right] was a tower of strength in the Bridgers defence and I liked the neat touches of Joe Carey for Blazey. Danny Zallick looked a good player and Beesley played well until he went off and both sides can look forward to more success with performances like this - all they need is to hit the back of the net!

Finally thanks to Wadebridge Town - a great well run club that always make you feel welcome and it is always a good place to visit.

A very good crowd that was swelled with the postponments of other games in the area. St Blazey brought a good number of supporters and rivalled the Judge with their flags!!!!!!!

Agree with that - Wadebridge have a feel of a very well run club.

Food is excellent too, if a little pricey - £3.25 for a cheeseburger!!! (More than I paid at Staines Town!)

Just one more comment - how the Wadebridge keeper pulled off those saves after looking as dodgy as anything throughout the game, I'll never know! But credit to him, he kept them in the game.

Guest Peppermint

Enjoyed the conversation yesterday Andy - I know I make a lot of mistakes!!

Hopefully the match will be on Tuesday evening and it should be a cracker - looking forward to watching it.Best Wishes Graham.