Cornwall Football Forum

why are some referees scared of taking control

Guest kamali

in a recent game i watch before going away i was appalled at the behavior of a particular player. He moaned at every thing and threw his weight around with elbows and studs and the ref only booked him. In reality he probably could and should have been sent off at least 3-4 times. inlcuding 1 elbow and a waist high tackle. My grandson was there and he was horrified. Do some, not all, refs need to toughen up asnd be consistant with there decisions. the game was tavi res v bere alston and the player was called westy

in a recent game i watch before going away i was appalled at the behavior of a particular player. He moaned at every thing and threw his weight around with elbows and studs and the ref only booked him. In reality he probably could and should have been sent off at least 3-4 times. inlcuding 1 elbow and a waist high tackle. My grandson was there and he was horrified. Do some, not all, refs need to toughen up asnd be consistant with there decisions. the game was tavi res v bere alston and the player was called westy

sounds like a certain portreath striker yeterday!!!

I was not having a go at refs but sometimes when watching i see refs give out yellow card or red cards to to players for minor offences where as te likes of this player westlake could get away with anything cause some refs are scared of him. Mind you sounds like that ef you spoke about had the right attitude. I konw that the majority are the same as him it is only the minority who think by bookin certain players there will be trouble.

as a linesman in the swl, i have spoken to several refs who have said there is a new leniancy thing regarding when to give out bookings. some refs have said they have to take some stick from players because players dont mean to retaliate when decisions go against them. i think westy is a good solid midfielder who loves the game too much. you say refs are afraid, i think its because of his passion to want the ball, be the man to watch and he does that to teams which is great to see, there should be more players like him.

don't get me wrong callymike i think westlake is very good player. a very intelligent player in fact. but he could be a lot better if he could tackle fairly. when he has the ball he is dangerous, it just what he does to get the ball. challenges that i saw were verging on assault! he needs to work har on the tackling.

What on earth is this new leniency thing as to when you give out bookings a bigger load of rubbish i have yet to hear, I do not know who you were speaking to but he must have been pulling your leg. With regard to myself I am certainly not afraid to take control and if I think a yellow or red card is warranted then that is what happens. Thinking back into the recent past my earliest yellow was in under 2 mins, it`s not something I take pleasure in doing but if it`s needed then thats my course of action.

Its amazing the ammount of stick the officials are getting evan tho if it wasnt for us there wouldntbe a game to play, i kno w one referee who suffered shocking abuse during a game, the CFA try to premote things like the respect campaigne and no players take no notice.

1 Day theres going to be a ref that will have a Zero tolerance to any kinds of back-chatting or abuse and i'd love to see the look on the players faces when they get sent off

Its amazing the ammount of stick the officials are getting evan tho if it wasnt for us there wouldntbe a game to play, i kno w one referee who suffered shocking abuse during a game, the CFA try to premote things like the respect campaigne and no players take no notice.

1 Day theres going to be a ref that will have a Zero tolerance to any kinds of back-chatting or abuse and i'd love to see the look on the players faces when they get sent off

Respect its a two way street & Managers should be promoting this to their players its not just down to the REF!!! :D

But a little consistancey from the Ref would go along way also!!! :D

you should have a read of Gavin Strachan's blog on the BBC football site. He talks about referees getting respect but also referees showing respect as well.

One phrase that does my head in, is the "if it wasn't for us you wouldn't have a game", put it on the other foot, if it wasn't for players, referee's wouldn't have a game to referee. I would have thought that 99% of referee's out there do it cos they want to and for their love of the game. If that is the case, then why can't they enjoy it as well??

This year playing combo, we've had some really good referee's but some poor ones as well, thats the way it goes, we as players have good games and bad games as well.

But please remember that the game of football is not about the referee that is standing out in the middle

yes you are quite right some mangers do need to take control of there players. I would like to add that i think that the majority of refs at this level are very good. it is just the minority who just turn up for the money. i hope today to see good game. Not sure where i am going yet. does anyone know where torpoint are playing today? On another note i believe that westlake could be a good player if he could tackle and concentrate on the ball rather than the player! until then he will never be a good player.

Kamali, read back through your posts on this topic and see that you are starting to contradict yourself :blink:

As for which match you went to see yesterday.....let me quess.....Tavistock v St Stephens by any chance.

You claim to be an impartial observer, yet all your postings have been about Tavy or had some connection to them.

Anyone with any footballing knowledge will know that matches between Tavistock and Bere Alston will always have that extra bit of an edge to them, such is the local rivalry between the two clubs, especially as Bere Alston are deemed to be the poor relations and Tavy the big fish.

You have made some damning remarks about one of my players, but failed to mention that one of the Tavy players (who shall remain nameless...as I don't wish to slander any player after the event) stamped on my RB and should have been sent off, were it not for the referee who claimed he didn't see it (from 10 yards away).....But hey, that is the nature of football and during the course of a season decisions right and wrong will go both ways and even themselves out.

My only criticism of the ref on that particular afternoon was that he played SIX minute of injury time, which allowed Tavy's Mark Conday to smash home their winner with the last kick of the game... :(:(:( ....Sorry Gats.

As for Will Westlake, He is a an honest hard working midfielder doing his utmost for the club and bleeds 'Bere Alston' blood, who at times tries a little too hard for his own good to try and stamp (apologies for the pun) his authority on the game.

All clubs like Bere Alston, have or would die for a Will Westlake in their ranks and whilst he can sometimes be a little bit overzealous in his attempts to win the ball, I would rather have him playing for us than against us and so would most teams.

As for your comments about referees, they are at the end of the day human beings like you and me and are bound to make mistakes or errors in judgement or miss incidents that have been clear to everyone else except them, but they can only referee the match as they see fit and each referee will of course put their own tack on things such is their personality.

I have and will probably continue to have the occasional outburst at the man in black, but have learnt and so have my players, that a little respect goes a long way to a better performance from them on a Saturday afternoon, for after all is said and done and however much we may have lambasted the officials in the past...what would we do without them....have to go shopping with the missus instead.... :SM_carton:

Kamali, read back through your posts on this topic and see that you are starting to contradict yourself :blink:

As for which match you went to see yesterday.....let me quess.....Tavistock v St Stephens by any chance.

You claim to be an impartial observer, yet all your postings have been about Tavy or had some connection to them.

Anyone with any footballing knowledge will know that matches between Tavistock and Bere Alston will always have that extra bit of an edge to them, such is the local rivalry between the two clubs, especially as Bere Alston are deemed to be the poor relations and Tavy the big fish.

You have made some damning remarks about one of my players, but failed to mention that one of the Tavy players (who shall remain nameless...as I don't wish to slander any player after the event) stamped on my RB and should have been sent off, were it not for the referee who claimed he didn't see it (from 10 yards away).....But hey, that is the nature of football and during the course of a season decisions right and wrong will go both ways and even themselves out.

My only criticism of the ref on that particular afternoon was that he played SIX minute of injury time, which allowed Tavy's Mark Conday to smash home their winner with the last kick of the game... :(:(:( ....Sorry Gats.

As for Will Westlake, He is a an honest hard working midfielder doing his utmost for the club and bleeds 'Bere Alston' blood, who at times tries a little too hard for his own good to try and stamp (apologies for the pun) his authority on the game.

All clubs like Bere Alston, have or would die for a Will Westlake in their ranks and whilst he can sometimes be a little bit overzealous in his attempts to win the ball, I would rather have him playing for us than against us and so would most teams.

As for your comments about referees, they are at the end of the day human beings like you and me and are bound to make mistakes or errors in judgement or miss incidents that have been clear to everyone else except them, but they can only referee the match as they see fit and each referee will of course put their own tack on things such is their personality.

I have and will probably continue to have the occasional outburst at the man in black, but have learnt and so have my players, that a little respect goes a long way to a better performance from them on a Saturday afternoon, for after all is said and done and however much we may have lambasted the officials in the past...what would we do without them....have to go shopping with the missus instead.... :SM_carton:

I totally agree with you comments about Will i would love to have him at Tavy for his passion alone!!!

But where the on earth did the SIX minutes comment come from ??? ;)

Gats,

The six minutes comment was a bit tongue in cheek, especially in view of the result and when you got your winner, but all the comments from the grandstand after the game was the ref played way over the usual stoppage time and even your lino said he didn't know where the ref was getting the extra minutes from.

I hadn't realised at the time, cause I thought Tommy hatwell was gonna nick us a winner until up stepped Mr Conday... :(

What happened yesterday mate, 1-0 up at half time weren't you?

I wish our game had been called off cause after the first 20 minutes we were awful and we've got Saltash next week.... :(:( :(

Hi Kev,

We were looking good going against the wind & playing really well,but the secound half with the wind at our backs we lost the plot mate it was like someone had erased there memories and they needed to be taught how to do the basics mate i was not impressed !!

I think they went into our changing room and walked out of st stephens changing room because they played the secound half like we played the first half and they took there chances mate and reacted faster than us, took there goals well :unsure::unsure:

Lets move on to the next game now and hopefully improve :( :(

Coach kt, seems that i hit a nerve. Firstly i am nothing to with tavistock. I am actually a ECPL fan. i do follow torpoint, but this season have taken an interest in tavistock. They have some good players and a good mix of youth and experience. They have a good managment team aswell who seem to have agood football head. Also they have a nice ground.

With regsrds to the tavi - bere game yes you are quite right that the tavi lad should have gone no question. The ref missed that one. My point is merely that westlake was attacking tree or four players. A blatent elbow and a waist high tackle plus two or more horrific challenges. i don't dought his passion or that he has a lot of talent. Its just a shame he cant tackle fairly. He is good player.

I presume that you, having played a few times, would know the difference between a hard challenge and an attack on a player. i Remember you from a few years ago you having the odd bad challenge on you. Westlake is a good player but would be better if he could tackle fairly!

And no i did not watchthem on sat.

Kamali, I was fortunate to be able to watch the player you refer to this weekend and i have to say that he gave his all for the 90mins and if memory serves me correctly he only committed about 3 fouls all game. He certainly never committed any late or dangerous challenges during the game.

As i have said before i think that westlake is good player. He just needs to try and attack the ball not the player. If i was a manager i would love to have him in my team, in fact he would probably be the first on the team sheet! But as a manager i would not condone some of his challenges and try to get that side out of him without removing his passion for the game. I am not trying to upset anyone just making a judgement. i think that if coachkt is happy with some of his tackles then he needs to take a look at some of the things he used to moan about during his playing days. Once again westlake is a very good player but could be even better if he concentrated more on the ball rather than the player.