Cornwall Football Forum

The other side of Godolphin Football Club

Godolphin Atlantic have certainly been making the headlines recently:and,in my humble opinion,deservedly so.There have been many comments on this forum highlighting the fact they are a"pub team" .But is there really that much difference in patronising a pub from drinking in a "more fashionable" Club,s own club house?

That said,may I be permitted to relate something concerning Godolphin that-as long as I remain interested in Cornish football- will forever remain in my memory.It was at Liskeard when,in their last season as a junior club,they won the Cornwall Junior Cup(replay I believe).At the presentation ceremony,their captain rather than receive the trophy(probably the pinnacle of his football life) allowed an elderly lady-possibly the Club,s president- to step up and receive the Cup.It was a remarkable sight to see this charming little lady being applauded by both players and spectators.

That must have said an awful lot about that charming lady: but didn't that say a hell of a lot more for the Godolphin Atlantic footballers ?

That would be Margaret, affectionately known as `Muff` who is the Landlady of The Godolphin Arms and along with her Daughter Tanya and Grandaughter Stevie are 3 of The Gs many stalwart supporters.

Lovely Lady and never have I seen such passion from someone towards a football club, albeit a `PubTeam` :D :clapper:

i totally agree with all those comments about Godolphin AFC; i played one season at Godolphin, my last season because john eccles and millsy bothered to come and see me and it turned out to be one of my most enjoyable. The hospitality was second to none and i was treated brilliantly by muff and tania. They were in Duchy Premier then and to see them playing in the same league as great clubs like Penzance and Newquay is terrific and well deserved.

Happy New Year

All right Blackie we all know you had a good season there,how can i forget we had just beaten Biscovey 6 1 away who where duchy champs we where a division 1 side and you got the winner in the quarter final.Goldolphin along with Dobwalls should show clubs like St Teath the way forward.Trouble is to many clubs in our area keen to get hold of the better players,how is Paul by the way!!.