Cornwall Football Forum

biggest local derby

Guest bhcm

well only 2 weeks to the biggest local derby in the newquay area ever the mighty newquay south western league winners senior cup winners charity cup winners south western league cup winners prob had upwards of sixty county players playing for us, players gone on th play international football we have floodlights and a grandstand clubhouse against the pub side down the road (godolphin atlantic) what a game boxing day midday big game big score sorry boys, derek martin your boys will take one hell of a beating

Guest Peppermint

I agree with Gareth - it will be a close game between two sides that play some attractive football.

I certainly distance myself from the term 'Pub Side' because Godolphin Atlantic have come a long way in a short time under Derek Martin and they throughly deserve to be in the Peninsula League having earned the right.

I am sure we will have a good gate and hopefully people who turn up at Mount Wise will like the football served up and return to the ground for more matches in the New Year.

As for the reference to ex Cup winners in competitions and County players that is long in the past and before my time and most other people in the Club. Although it is fine to have great traditions and a glorious past that is no longer relevant to the present.

We are lucky at Mount Wise to have an almost exclusively local side consisting of some very promising footballers and I am sure the 'G' have a number of good footballers as well.

Let's hope it is a great game of football that enhances the reputation of both clubs and we are treated to a feast of soccer.

I agree with Peppermint, Godolphin has earnt the right to be in the SWPL and I have seen them myself on a number of occasions and the team plays attractive attacking football. Derek Martyn has built a team of local players and those players have brought success to the club over a number of years. The team spirit at the club is fantastic. The players are happy to play because they are loyal to Derek and that is a testament to his ability as a coach and manager. It is disrespectful to call them a pub team, they have already beaten Penzance and Porthleven this season and are as good as any other team in the Division on their day. I believe that the Boxing Day game will be a spectacular game of fast attacking football and the whole Town is looking forward to this fixture.

Guest Man on the Post

Looking at the SWPL website I was amazed to see that Godolphin's average attendace is more than Newquay's, albeit ever so slight. Not sure why, but well done Godolphin. :Santa:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The reason for G having the same crowd average is, that Newquay do not appear to count everyone as they should. I have done head counts at all our home matches and the club consistantly declare 25 less. Perhaps this is down to the amount of folk (kids, committee members, youth and other players) who do not pay to enter the ground, maybe they don't count them. Perhaps there is some other reason which I am unaware of.

Another reason, is that for the G v PZ match, over half the crowd of 106 were in fact Newquay fans/players who watched as the Combo match was called off.

As for Pub Team, this is an affectionate term used by the Newquay fans for the little club down the road, they deserve to be in this league by vertue of results over the years, BUT they operate from a pub and are therefore the pub team !!! We have no history with G and therefore no real rivalry YET. However, local pride will be at stake and that in itself will generate a cracking atmosphere on Boxing Day.

COME ON YOU REDS !

the reds cannot afford to lose this our history and records this year tells this we are the team going for promotion no disrespect to the pub team but can you honestly see them in the next league i think not ! i can see this being no different to playing goonhavern or any one else on boxing day look at the facts and league results we went to penzance and won easily, im sure class on the day will tell come on u reds i think four nil , no prob

i have seen godolphin a couple of times over the past few seasons and i think they are a good side and only a fool would underestimate them. Newquay heve e a great history but they have stood still and achieved very little if anything for so long, you could even say they have gone backwards because they are no longer in the top division of cornish football.

Newquay are having a good season (by their standards) but godolphin are up and coming in cornish football ,

godolphin to win 2-1.

Guest Peppermint

The manager and myself are certainly not underestimating Godolphin Atlantic - it is fairly obvious from our postings earlier. We are not going into the realms of predicting scores etc, but it will I am sure be a good game of football.

Obviously Dave the Rave is having is little knock about the Club but I am sure the Club is going in the right direction and all that is gone before about Newquay in the past is well and truly in the past. History and achievements in the past mean nothing to our present players and some of them were not even born when Newquay won trophies.

ill have a little wager with anyone that the newquay v the pub team have the biggest gate on boxing day in the whole of cornwall what ever the league , and if that is correct then it would stand proudly as the biggest derby on the day, i would expect ( a guess) somewere from 500 to a 1000 will be comming through our turnstiles, every one and every where you go in and around town is talking about the game and iv been told the rugby have put off their boxing day game to the following day to come along and support the game , and im sure a few of us will support the rugby the next day , thats if we have gotten over our four nil spanking of the G,

"The top Division of Cornish Football"

Sorry,

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me which 'Division' that is...???

South West Peninusula League, or whatever its called, West Division!! or is it Combination or East Cornwall league!!! as they're the highest divisions with only Cornish Sides in I beleive!

reading this with interest id like to make a few points first yes we are all looking forward to the boxing day fixture but first this sat we have penryn which is a massive game for us, second the guys at newquay have done a triffic job up there and credit where credits due well done to them i know the whole town has been waiting and talking about the game on boxingday, we have a lot of respect for the guys up their and we bond very well in fact i run the vets team at the godolphin and jim hilton and john hodge both play for me which shows the bonding and they play alongside derek martin and myself so were all mates together, and to the third point we at godolphin have a very strong LOCAL group of players aaron dilly phil lowey chris may shawn semmings scott flannagon aaron hawkey mark rose kyle brown along with dan ocallahan dave moore tony mac sam eglington matt hallet all who have lived in newquay for most of their lives if im correct shane hickling and tim peacock mickey thompson and lee paxton and scott wheeldon with mark kershaw have all lived in newquay over ten years and started playing in local football for that length of time,

i personally have only been involved with the godolphin for about 10 years myself and when i was asked to help out 10 of the guys were playing in duchy football with the G and 15 have come up through the second team and now play in the south west pensiluar (west), so being a cornish team yes we are and bringing on youth yes we do and respecting newq and other clubs yes we do and our players live more local then most teams in cornwall, and remember we dont pay our players i can not praise them enough sometimes, the guys put up with a lot of crap about them sometimes but pomotions junior cups east cornwall cups duchy league finals these guys have done the lot and still every week turn out good performances , so as i said credit where credit is due and stop the crap about being not cornish, alan metters coach at godolphin

Just been told that the car park at Mt Wise opposite the ground will be free to use on boxing day,not sure about the Tregunnel car park,please check meters.

Do not park in Reeds way estate as they will clamp you.

TheFootball ground car park is for Players Officials & Sponsors of Newquay & Godolphin + disabled badge holders

Sadly I will not be attending this match but if the crowd is 250+ I will be gobsmacked. Where have they been all season?

Another point worth noting is the KO time. The Nqy website says 12:00 is PROVISIONAL. With only 7 days to go it ought to have been confirmed by now!

Haven't seen the G myself yet this season but expect a comfy home win.

Looking at the SWPL website I was amazed to see that Godolphin's average attendace is more than Newquay's, albeit ever so slight. Not sure why, but well done Godolphin. :Santa:

im going for a 3-2 win for godolphin and yes their attendances have been quite astonishing to say the least given the facilities that they have.

i did the line down there when callington won 4-2 and i also did the line when i was with saltash united in the ecpl and the facilities to be fair to godolphin have improved greatly well done to them, just improve the refs cabin a little so that we do actually get hot water rather than cold.

Baldy & Trish will be at Chelsea v West Brom as they are season ticket holders, why couldn't the Prem League do that game on that Saturday ? G don't have any real support aand as I have mentioned previously, Newquay underdeclare the crowd at Mount Wise for whatever reason. Ask anyone in the South West, Newquay may have average home crowds, but no one travels like The Newquay Loyal, best away supporters anywhere !

Those of us who are not away for Xmas, (and there are quite a few who are) will make sure the atmosphere is cranked up, Penzance have already had the full force of the noise we can generate, time to let the Pub Team see and hear what real support is all about. As for the actual crowd, I expect 300 in the ground and about 220 declared ! Come on Peppermints fans, get in the Main Stand and sing your hearts out for the lads.

Result wise, nothing but a home win obviously but it will either be a close 2-1 if the G rough it up or if The Peppermints continue in the form they have shown over the last 5 weeks, then it will be a complete rout, G will not be able to handle the Reds in full flow.

Guest Man on the Post

One things for certain the Godolphin manager won't have to give a team talk! He'll just have to give them a copy of the judge's postings! :thumbsup: :Santa:

Theres nothing like setting the tone for the day, postings can help create an atmosphere on and off the pitch, our clashes with St Blazey in the past have benefited from comments on this forum. Heres to a cracking day !

Judge I think you must have a short memory,we got duffed by Goonhavern a couple a years ago on boxing day when the team thought they could just turn up to win.

I,m sure that the team this year will not go out with the same attitude,a very close game is in prospect ,and may the best team win.

Guest Peppermint

I think your memory has failed you Bazzer - when Goonhavern trounced Newquay at Mount Wise it was a Good Friday.

Hansome Dan's comments regarding how many Cornishmen - what is the point of that remark! There will probably be as many has other local derby matches on Boxing Day.

Callymike - nice to see your prediction that will be good for Jim's team talk - have you conviently forgotten Newquay disposed of your team in the Charity Cup recently!

Finally I would like to think that Newquay will do their talking on the pitch instead of this constant harping on about 'The Pub Team' - Godolphin Atlantic are in the Peninsula League on merit and if you go back in history a lot of Football League teams started from humble beginnings including from pubs.

Man on the Post is correct - Derek Martin can use some of the Judge's ramblings for his team talk.

The fixture, can I remind you, is listed as NEWQUAY v GODOLPHIN ATLANTIC - simply that.

Baldy is also correct in saying 250 approximate crowd - if this is so where the hell have they been all season.

Finally - a little gripe about The Judge's report of the Camelford result today - if the crowd was 50 and half supposedly came from Newquay - surely one of them could have used a mobile phone and let the Clubhouse know the half time and full time score. I was at Wadebridge reporting and phoned the Clubhouse a few times and could only find the Reserves score out - but did not know how the Peppermints fared at Camelford until I returned to Newquay.

Guest Peppermint

Hopefully they will Big hairy dave - perhaps some of these predicted hundreds that are supposed to be at the Boxing Day game will enjoy themselves so much that will go and watch other Newquay matches!!!

I think that is wishful thinking!!!!

Boxing Day will be a proud day for all of us at Godolphin, when we finally get to make the short trip to Mount Wise to take on Newquay in a competitive match for the first time in history. It realy is a landmark occasion for us because it shows just how far we have come since our days in the Duchy League. Being able to take on Newquay has been one of our main goals for a long long time.

It is certainly going to be a very tough match for us because we are still finding our feet at this level and

Newquay have good experience and are looking stronger than i have ever seen them this season. Having said that i know the boys are realy looking forward to the challenge and they have shown many times before that they are a team who can perform on the big occasions. I know our League position doesn't look

fantastic at the moment but the boys are gathering experience and are giving an excellent account of themselves in their debut season at this level, as i'm sure anybody who has played against us will testify.

I'm sure their will be a very big crowd, and if both teams perform as they can do on the day it should be a cracking match.

Win lose or draw i will look forward to catching up with Jim Hilton after the match as Jim is somebody who i have a lot of respect for. Jim, along with the support of Graham behind the scenes seem to be steering the club in the right direction but we will be doing everything in our powers to knock them off course come Boxing Day.

Guest Peppermint

What a great posting Derek - I thank you for your kind words and I totally endorse what Jim has said.

I am sure the match will be a great occasion and produce some excellent football and hopefully if we have the expected large crowd they will be encouraged to come and watch both Godolphin Atlantic and Newquay during the rest of the season.