Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Post your results, goal scorers and attendances here please.

Cornwall Combination League

22nd November 2008 (2:30pm kick-off)

HAYLE RESERVES (Jodie Hampton) 1-1 ST AGNES (Tom Benney)

Att - 30

ILLOGAN RBL (Ryan Treloar) 1-0 HELSTON ATHLETIC

Att - ???

MULLION (Dan Stidwell 2, Rob Carey, Matt Fox) 4-2 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES (Steve Kellow, Paul Wolstencroft)

Att - 25

NEWQUAY RESERVES 0-1 PORTHLEVEN RESERVES (Aaron Collick)

Att - 35

PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES (Steve Owen 2, Stefan Churcher 2) 4-0 LUDGVAN

Att - 35

PENZANCE RESERVES (Tom Patrick) 1-3 ST DAY (Garath Jones 2, Lee Duffield)

Att - 39

PERRANWELL (Steve Brewer 2, Jon Blundell, Scott Kinge, Jake Harvey) 5-1 WENDRON CC UNITED RESERVES (Luke Murray)

Att - 25

PORTREATH (Alan Buckley, Duane Britton, Jason Bulckley) 3-4 HOLMAN SC (Tony Eddy 2, Tom Hogarth, Adam Freethy)

Att - 20

RNAS CULDROSE 0-6 PERRANPORTH (Alex Arquati 2, Bryan Hawke, Ian Gosling, Dean Harris, Kayne Trevaskis)

Att - 20

ST JUST (Chris Curnow 2) 2-1 ST IVES TOWN (Darren Steadman)

Att - 39

Perranwell 5 - 1 Wendron

5-0 HT

Wendron scorer Luke Murray.

Very muddy game of football and Perranwell started the brighter to asy the least by scoring 5 in about 35minds :( but second half we came out and got a early goal and both teams tried to play best they could on a now a muddy field not a football pitch but we held on and won the second half, shame we dont get any points for that tho :glare:

Perranwell v Wendron Utd(5-1)

Perranwell well in control first playing some scintillating football to which Wendron had no answer.Second half Wendron's defence tightened up and the introduction of player/manager Paul Murray gave some solidity as he helsd the ball up well and laid it off when needed.Perranwell still had a large share of possession but missed a penalty,good save from keeper,and other efforts found the keeper in the right place or missed the target.

Pitch cut up especially in the second half drizzle so some work for the home groundsman.

Man of the match:John Blundell - Wendron simply couldn't get the ball off him.

Crowd about 30(Kempy may be more specific)

Well done to both teams for trying to play football in the right manner.

Newquay 0 - 1 Porthleven

Newquay hosted Porthleven on a windy and grey afternoon at Mount Wise and this game proved to be one of little clear-cut chances, although there were a few talking points from events this afternoon.

Newquay absorbed some early Porthleven attacks and were seemingly handling things fairly well, although James Merrikin was called upon to make two good saves in the opening half an hour. Porthleven opened the scoring when Arron Collick stepped up and slotted home a penalty after Josh Harris had been adjudged to have committed a foul in the corner of the area. The ball was going away from goal and Harris attempted to clear, only for the ball to cannon between players. A shirt pull was noticed by the referee and the Port player hit the deck and the penalty was rightly given, although a few Port players seems a bit surprised by the decision. Newquay were thwarted by the referee's assistant on a number of occasions in the first half, making it difficult for them to sustain their momentum going forward.

Newquay worked hard to get back into the game and didn't really create many clear cut chances, although Orrin Crowle was able to expose the lack of pace in the Porthleven full back positions. The second half started well for Newquay, who used the elements to their advantage and delivered a sustained period of pressure in the opening stages. Confusion in the Port backline allowed Orrin Crowle to lob the goalkeeper, it seemed his strike was heading well over until the ball plummeted downwards and hit the crossbar and Michael Rabone failed to convert the rebound.

Both teams had half chances and Port will feel that they should have added to the scoreline but James Merrikin smothered a shot from six yards out with the goal beckoning. The game petered out with a few clumsy tackles, all in all Newquay picked up five bookings in what wasn't a particularly dirty game. That said, the referee had a relatively good game and kept a control on most aspects of the game, including miscoloured underarmour!

Pasty's man of the match - James Merrikin.

Attendance - 35

Tinners 2 St Ives 1......attendance 39.

Good opening goal by Darren Steadman, who seems to have chilled out, taken at pace after about eight minuites, kept St Ives ahead for 73 minutes, whereupon Chris Curnow shot St Just level through a crowded area following a Darren Ball free-kick and John Bird "assist". The same player was on hand to divert John Bird's through ball with a skilful flick for the winner just before time. During injury time St Ives sub lofted chance just over an empty net. On balance, St Just deserved it...the visitors lacked conviction in the second half in the absence of Andy Trathen and John Simpson and following the sad loss of the legendary and heroic Lee Norman. As St Just-St Ives games go, this season's have both been extremely gentlemanly...not a single card, not even a dead body or two today. Tinners home record....won 5, drawn 2, lost 2...and the draws were down to last minute visiting equalisers.

Another entertaining day for the record crowd of the season. Cue hysteria and flares on Fore Street again tonight. :yahoo::thumbsup::drink::c::yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

Guest bundithegreat

i believe it was portreath 2- 3 holmans dont quote me though and dont ask the goal scorers as i was playing on pitch beside them for reserves and i saw them go 2-0 up in ten minutes but dont know what happened after that.

Pz 1 st day 3 this game was a bit topsy turvy as Pz started the better but as St Day got on top they where awarded a penalty which Gareth jones slotted away, pz then came back at St day but where no match for the st Day midfield who where excellent all game. This was the first time this season that St Day had a fully fit squad to choose from and within a few more minutes we where awarded another penalty and Gareth slotted away again. Half time 2-0. The second half started with Pz starting to put pressure on the back four but they quashed every attack and Pz couldn't break us down, then a silly squabble between holsey and perran saw them both awarded yellow cards and within minutes Darren Holsey was sent off for a tackle in the pen box and we where awarded another pen which this time Garty hit the bar. After that it was all st day chance after chance went begging hitting the cross bar twice post once and goaline clearences from pz. Around the 70th minute the game was all over when Duffers headed in from 1 yard and the gane petered out with pz getting a consolation goal at the death, on the whole great vteam performance from St Day and now fully back to full strength will give anyoe a game. Wittsy also sent off for St Day.

This is my version of events

Cornwall Combination League

22nd November 2008

Penzance Reserves 1-3 St Day

Penzance gave away three penalties as St Day exposed their lack of depth in defence. Playing with a weakened line-up due to injuries and first team call-ups Penzance fielded one of their youngest sides ever against a team that should never have left Penlee Park with the three points if the match had gone to form.

The game starts quietly until St Day break into the penalty area on their left. Penzance’s Darren Holsey barges St Day’s Ricky Smith. The ref points to the spot and Garath Jones steps up and fires the ball into the net low to the left. 0-1 after only 4 mins.

Both teams are finding the going hard with attacks breaking down in mid-field and Penzance playing the off-side trap. For 20 mins long balls go astray and neither team seems to put more than a couple of passes together. Penzance have a break down the right, cross but the ball evades everyone running in.

Then midway through the half St Day double their lead, once again from the penalty spot. They break down the left into the box where Penzance keeper Craig Nicholls brings down Perran Cooke. Jones steps up this time finding the net high to the keeper’s right. 0-2 after 24 mins.

By now St Day are playing the more controlled football. Penzance’s Charlie Penny is booked for a silly tackle.

Then a few minutes before half-time St Day beat the off-side trap with some of the Penzance defenders standing still with their hands in the air calling for the whistle. Three St Day attackers get clear but the resulting shot is well saved with his feet by Nicholls.

The last chance of the half falls to Penzance but a shot from Tom Patrick is grabbed by Paul Hoskins in the St Day goal.

H-T

Penzance substitute Ryan Holland for Bradley Wills who is suffering from a bad knock. Darren Holsey is booked for reacting to a tackle from behind.

Penzance pick up the pace a bit and St Day are putting in a few clumsy tackles. Ross Badcock is booked for reacting to a tackle.

Then St Day are awarded their third penalty. Holsey shoulder charges Cooke when he’s clean through. The ref gives him his 2nd yellow so he has to walk. Jones once again steps up to try to get a rare penalty hat-trick but shoots high and the ball flicks off the top of the cross bar for a goal kick.

Each team make a substitution to try and bring some life into the game.

Then St Day nearly get another but are deigned twice by the woodwork. They break down the right into the box, cross where Penzance’s Tom Hosking tries to clear but heads against the upright. The ball bounces into play but then St Day head it against the bar.

A rare Penzance chance sees the keeper grab a shot from the left. But Penzance’s day goes from bad to worse as they go further behind. St Day break down their right put over a cross pitch ball to the edge of the box. Matt Witts runs onto it, turns, crosses and a Lee Duffield glancing header sees the ball sail into the net at the back post. 0-3 after 70mins.

A few seconds later Duffield is in the book for persistently kicking the ball away every time the ref whistles for an infringement. St Day make a double substitution.

Then with 10 minutes left numbers are evened up when St Day’s Matt Witts is sent off as he’s given a double booking. One for a bad challenge and another for reacting with a tirade of verbals.

This seems to spur Penzance and they push forward but they are caught cold as Simon Horner beats their off-side trap. With an open goal, he snatches his shot and puts the ball wide from 15yds out.

With three minutes of normal time left Penzance get on the score sheet with a consolation goal. A corner in the left is fired into the box and in the resultant scramble Tom Patrick’s knee knocks the ball over the line. 1-3 after 87 mins.

The last chance of the game falls to the Magpies who are now playing their best football of the match when a cross goal shot is cleared off the line.

Penzance Man of the Match was Gary Matthews. Made the fewest mistakes and the best passer of the ball on the day!

Penzance - Craig Nicholls, Tom Hosking, Darren Holsey, Bradley Wills, Ross Badcock, Tom Withecombe, Tom Patrick, Dan Magee, Wade Brown, Charlie Penny, Gary Matthews

Subs – Ryan Holland (Wills 45), Ian Philips (Withecombe 60), Ashley Gray (Penny 67)

Corner count – Penzance 3-4 St Day (1-2 1st half)

Crowd - 39

Portreath 3 - 4 Holmans

Holmans 2-0 down in the first 10min but a new found self belief and determination saw Holmans take all 3 points away from Portreath.

Homans Goalscorers

Adam Freethy

Tom Hogarth

Tony Eddy (2)

I'm sure your scorers are wrong Neil???

As for our 2nd goal CTB it was Matty Drake not Duaine.

The 2 penalties by Darren were both shoulder charges to force players away from the goal and Craig went in with one of our players and theirs who went down.

The ref at times was really whistle happy and wouldn't let the game flow. Both linesmen were good with none of the "flag waving" you see at some grounds.

If Pz lose Silky and Peanut to the 1st team we need to strengthen the back 4 fairly quickly. Our mid-field yesterday couldn't string any passes together and for some reason when they did pass, the passes fell short. Weird but they were all doing it.

CTB

CTB great report as always.

only picked up on a couple of things, thought the ref gave darren holsey a straight red for the third pen not a second yellow. and also he gave wittsy a straight red for foul and abusive language, although calling someone a 'ginger *****' is prejudice not abusive.

all in all quite an entertaining game for a neutral i would have thought

see you at ours soon CTB

Newquay v Porthleven

Good report Mitch,can,t agree with your comments on the ref,he is normally very consistent but I felt he had a nightmare,he gave Newquays youngsters nothing ,had he pulled up a porthleven players 2 footed tackle on one of our youngsters the ensuing frustration of the newquay players would have resulted in 2 less booking.A very poor performance from a ref who is normally good

Arquati turned up then, didnt half throw his toys out when subbed last week! Dont the management of Perran know who this man is!!?

Gillo how dare you complain that i critisise clubs.POT KETTLE. :ninja:

Try reading again, at no point do I critisize a club. Got a lot of time for Perran and what they want to achieve. Just no time for the player I mentioned.

Guest arquati

Nice one Gillo10, you obviously do have time for me otherwise you wouldn't waste your time posting unrelevant comments about me on this thread thats called "Combo Results", just so i or someone else snaps back at you.

I dont have a clue who you are, and you dont know me at all, maybe you've seen me be a **** on the football pitch... once or twice :rolleyes: (most weeks) but id rather you kept your thoughts about me to yourself than being such a big man and putting it an open forum. Ive played against many players that i thought were dicks, and had many hard battles on the football pitch with defenders but when you talk to them after the match with a beer there completed different people. Its the players who bitch about other people they dont know on this forum that probly, im only guessing though that have a bad personality or like to judge people even though they dont know them.

Well have fun trying to reply and put me down again cause im sure everybody who writes relevant posts really care to know about how much you dislike me.

Good report Mitch,can,t agree with your comments on the ref,he is normally very consistent but I felt he had a nightmare

Bit of a tough one, Bazzer. Firstly I try not to make a habit of saying too much about referees, as I try to stick to match reports rather than 'ref reports'! To be honest there are times when you could write a lot more about the referee than the game itself, but I'm not sure how conducive that would be for respecting the referee?

I agree that there were a few moments that if dealt with earlier would have resulted in a greater degree of control, however, all of the Newquay lads (including myself) need to take responsibility for their actions, whether frustrated by the referee's decision making or not.

Whilst I agree that those moments were frustrating, they were by no means game changing and in my opinion the referee handled most other things well, he didn't put up with any grief from any of us and he asserted himself fairly. I actually though he was a good laugh and quite relaxed about things (until he started shouting at the Port defender for swearing!). So allowing a bit of margin for error (he wasn't the only one making mistakes on the pitch), I didn't really feel the need to make too much fuss about it, but I guess I only see a limited amount from where I am on the pitch and I respect your opinion.

Whatever the circumstances were, we needed to convert a chance in order to get something out of the game and unfortunately we didn't. So whether the ref had a good game or a bad game, we gave away a soft penalty and go away a little disappointed that we didn't give Porthleven the kind of challenge they expect at Mount Wise.

The 2 penalties by Darren were both shoulder charges to force players away from the goal and Craig went in with one of our players and theirs who went down.

The ref at times was really whistle happy and wouldn't let the game flow. Both linesmen were good with none of the "flag waving" you see at some grounds.

If Pz lose Silky and Peanut to the 1st team we need to strengthen the back 4 fairly quickly. Our mid-field yesterday couldn't string any passes together and for some reason when they did pass, the passes fell short. Weird but they were all doing it.

CTB

Hi Ctb i think we where reading your midfield like a book and where intercepting there passes our midfield dominated the game saying that the youngster in midfield on your side with blond hair had a good game, well done to pz got some good youngsters there all the best for the rest of the season and it was nice seeing Rob again up the reds Rob.

St Days No 1

Darren got booked just after half-time reacting to a tackle then the 2nd for the penalty.

Your manager said it was a double booking for Matt Witts. I was scribbling away at the time but I thought I saw the ref get out his yellow card first.

Yep we'll enjoy our visit to your ground. Like always we'll have 80% of the play but you always come back with breakaway goals or we miss a penalty.

"Alex Arquati" I wish he had stayed injured all season. :P He's scored in every game he's played for Perranporth against Penzance. Can't stop him, good player (dammit!)

Treasure Parks No 1

The lad in the middle with blonde hair is Danny Magee. The only Penzance players over 20 at the start of the match were Darren Holsey and keeper Craig Nicholls. Our forward line is 17-18 years od, our midfield 17-19. If we can keep hold of them a great assest to Penzance in the next couple of years and I can see several getting into the 1st team squad.

Still need the attendance for the Illogan v Helston game

Portreath 3 - 4 Holmans

Holmans 2-0 down in the first 10min but a new found self belief and determination saw Holmans take all 3 points away from Portreath.

Homans Goalscorers

Adam Freethy

Tom Hogarth

Tony Eddy (2)

I spoke to one of your players at the weekend & he's surprised not to be named as one of the scorers?? I'm sure he scored??