Cornwall Football Forum

Tavistock AFC V Bodmin Town

Reading from the SWPL news page

Bodmin scorers Steve Ovens 2 and Nick Campbell h/t 0-1

Mark Berry went to hospital with concussion and later Steve Ovens was also in hospital with a suspected broken leg.

Will Stringer was sent off from the same incident.

Other match

Devon St.Lukes Bowl (Devon Premier Cup) Buckland Athletic 0 Elburton Villa 2 aet

Second place Buckland's 4th consecutive defeat

Elburton bottom of SWPL

Guest Peppermint

Best wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery.

It is becoming clear that it is going to take a very good team to deny Bodmin Town the title this season.

Buckland seems to have blown their chances of the league.

I did see on the League Forum that someone was predicting a Devon team to win the Premier title this season - I cannot see who that can be but our Devon correspondents will no doubt put forward their cases.

Guest st george9

not nice to hear of anyone breaking a leg wish steve all the best....

did anyone see the challenge?? must been bad one with the player also getting a striaght red

thisiscornwall.co.uk ©

BODMIN Town striker Steve Ovens is likely to be out for the rest of the season after suffering a double leg break in Tuesday night's 3-0 victory over Tavistock at Langsford Park.

Ovens, 34, was taken to Derriford Hospital after a late tackle by Will Stringer, which led to the Tavistock player being shown a straight red card by referee Graham Harris.

Ovens suffered a broken tibia and fibula in the 63rd minute and the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division game was held up for 25 minutes.

He was the second Bodmin striker in the match to be rushed to hospital. Mark Berry was taken to Plymouth for observation after being knocked out in a clash of heads after 20 minutes.

Berry was released from hospital later in the evening.

Bodmin's victory came courtesy of two Ovens goals in the third and 47th minutes, with Nick Campbell adding their third two minutes from time.

Glyn Hobbs, who started the season with Bodmin before leaving after disciplinary problems, played for Tavistock but made little impact.

The victory moved Bodmin four points clear at the top of the premier division, with three games in hand on second-placed Buckland.

If the injury was caused by a poor challenge is there a case for the police? This poor guy is gonna miss work, family time etc and will seriously effect his life, seems poor that if the other fella has "done him" he will be playing again in 3 weeks.

I know you said "if", but I don't really think it's fair to suggest what you have. Getting the police involved? By suggesting this course of action will only take more and more of the tackling side of football out of the game! There's very little allowed as it is.

Yes, it may well have been a bad tackle, but these happen in every game.

In the meantime, here's wishing a speedy recovery for Steve.

In reply to pepermint, SM already stated Devon teams are perhaps a little more street wise than last year & have ambition but not ready to claim championship material as yet, Buckland would of bit your hand off for the return of points gained at this point start of season, pretty similar budget and team to last season, top five or six would be a great improvement on last year and maintain forward momentum, on top of this last night game was opportunity to play several boys who have been on sidelines no Gaze, Hammon, Froude starting, so i think the Torpoint game next week will be better indicator and crucial game for Bucks Top six target & we will then see if the wheels have fallen off, Parkway and Tavy best bets but they have already lost 17 & 19pts against Bodmins 4pts, looks like a one horse race but then we all thought that from day one, Bodmin need to take promotion for good of league, good team, facilities etc. But as i said before paying Western league wages so be better for all if they played there, Without them Tavy, Parkway, Dartmouth, Ivybridge and maybe Buckland with 7 out of last 9 games at home would all be within a shout (All Devon Teams) and the league would be hell of a lot more exciting and the other Cornish teams i am sure would soon respond. It looks like Bodmin could win league by 20 to 24 pts and the league be over by middle of March.

As it is currently just a procession for Bodmin.

Speedy recovery to Steve Ovens.

Bucks fan.

In reply Bodmin want to go up but can't untill the new grandstand,changing rooms and floodlights are completed,

Work is due to start in Jan 09 and will probally not be complete untill 2010 as it is a very large development involving the local council.

With regard to Steve i understand he is undergoing an operation this afternoon.

I am also led to believe it was a bad takle, None of the Bodmin players are concerned about the result just what as happened to Steve.

I don't know about police actions but i do beleive the lad should think about what he as done

In reply Bodmin want to go up but can't untill the new grandstand,changing rooms and floodlights are completed,

Work is due to start in Jan 09 and will probally not be complete untill 2010 as it is a very large development involving the local council.

With regard to Steve i understand he is undergoing an operation this afternoon.

I am also led to believe it was a bad takle, None of the Bodmin players are concerned about the result just what as happened to Steve.

I don't know about police actions but i do beleive the lad should think about what he as done

well said alan,if he did that to steve in the middle of tavy main street he would now be in prison,so cant agree with you dave this time :angry2:

Guest Postie Pidge

I did see on the League Forum that someone was predicting a Devon team to win the Premier title this season - I cannot see who that can be but our Devon correspondents will no doubt put forward their cases.

Plymouth Parkway? They can go top with a win over Falmouth tonight

First of all I am absolutlely gutted for Steve, spoke with Gilby this morning and he said he was undergoing an operation this afternoon. From everyone at Tavistock we wish him a full and speedy recovery.

As for the tackle both players were sprinting for the ball (in the same direction) and Steve was first to the ball and has he nicked it away String's caught him from behind while the players leg was caught in the ground. This was not malicious and not pre-medetated and I am absolutley disgusted with what people are saying and this may well come from people that weren't at the game although there are those that were there that might think differently.

Having been on the end of a bad tackle that started my problems with bone cancer, ended my career at the age of 23 and nearly cost me life I wouldn't have any player playing for me that set out to 'DO HIM' as someone posted earlier.

For the record the referee stated that he sent Will of for tackling from behind but there was nothin malicious in it. Yes, that's not my opinion that's the referee's own words. No doubt some of you will want to twist that as well.

Will Stringer was absolutely distraught in the changing room and quite emotional and after he had left the pitch Morgs came over to me and said you had better get someone in there with him as he's in hell of a mess. Is that the reaction of someone that has set out to do someone? Will is not that type of person.

As I stated at the start of my post I am absolutley gutted with what happened to Steve and I hope everything goes as well as it can with his operation this afternoon.

Firstly if my comment was taken the wrong way I apologise, in no way was I accusing the player of deliberate foul play! I do not know either player and was not at the game therefore can and will not pass judgement on this particular incident.

I was meaning to put across that IF, thats a big IF, it was then why not involve the police? Because its on a football pitch should have no bearing on the matter so sorry Dave Ive got to disagree. If you were in a pub and got slapped senseless would you involve the police or would you think oh well these things happen in pubs sometimes I'll just get on with it? I do not see how that IF needed that involving the police would harm the game, maybe it would have the opposite effect on those silly enough to make the kind of challenge to DELIBERATLY hurt someone.

Wishing the injured player all the best in his recovery and hope the other fella is not to effected by the events!!

Guest Peppermint

In reply to Abott1 I was not wishing to have a go at Buckland because when I visited the club I found everyone very friendly and welcoming. They have probably been the surprise team of the Premier League this season.

The set up is second to none with a good pitch and a superb Clubhouse.

It would be much better for all neutrals if Bodmin Town do not run away with the league but at the moment they do seem to be getting away from the chasing pack and with Falmouth Town's win at Parkway last night it does mean that results are going Bodmin's way.

Good luck to Buckland for the rest of the season.

Peppermint. No offence taken just trying to inform everyone that the Bucks fans never thought for one minute they were Championship material and we expected a blip along the way, the team has played some good football this season a marked improvement on last term, we have all just been enjoying the moment without getting above ourselves. Top five or six and we will be in Football heaven. Had a great day at Bodmin but in the spirit of the game if they could play there reserves for next six weeks to just prolong the season for the rest of us, league doesn't need tag of quickest champions... See you all on our travels... Already looking forward to Penzance next year...... And look forward to going back to see the building work at Bodmin we might even bring our shovels to help them get it done sooner.......

If you were in a pub and got slapped senseless would you involve the police or would you think oh well these things happen in pubs sometimes I'll just get on with it?

I guess this is where society and the way people think has changed :D

I wasn't by any means a "hard man", but I would never have allowed myself to be needlessly picked on during a game! However, if I wound someone up and they sought revenge, that would be my bad luck. :glare:

I certainly never got close to being "slapped senseless" in a pub! :drink:

Guest ECPL Supporter

How would you ever prove that someone intentially set out to break someones leg? You get late/bad tackles in most games but to think that someone is setting out to break the other players leg is pretty sick

If the injury was caused by a poor challenge is there a case for the police? This poor guy is gonna miss work, family time etc and will seriously effect his life, seems poor that if the other fella has "done him" he will be playing again in 3 weeks.

What a stupid comment, is your name Paul Smith????

I WAS AT TAVY ON SATURDAY (THEIR 2ND TEAM), THEY ARE FEELING VERY UPSET AT WHAT HAPPENED TO STEVE OVENS EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE'NT ALL THERE IN MIDWEEK TO WITNESS THE TACKLE.

THE GENERAL CONCENSUS FROM THE TAVY BOYS WAS OF FEELING GUTTED AND A GENUINE SYMPATHY FOR STEVE.

HOPE THIS MESSAGE GETS FOWARDED TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDSAT BODMIN FC.

As for the tackle both players were sprinting for the ball (in the same direction) and Steve was first to the ball and has he nicked it away String's caught him from behind while the players leg was caught in the ground. This was not malicious and not pre-medetated and I am absolutley disgusted with what people are saying and this may well come from people that weren't at the game although there are those that were there that might think differently.

from were i was stood it did'nt look like a malicious tackle

i watched the game and the tackle didnt look to bad just a bit late.

Scathing summary of the game from "Dave" in the Bodmin programme last night for their game with St Blazey! :(

I read that report in the match programme and thought of what id read on here. Dosnt add up somewhere. Either that or someones still upset. They basically said that Tavis tactics was to stick in the tasty challenges in order to upset Bodmin to win the match. Bit cheeky as Bodmin are never sort of a heavy challenge at times!!