Cornwall Football Forum

Are the Plymouth Clubs wanted in Cornwall?

Guest fromacrossthewater

Guest fromacrossthewater

Watched a game on saturday (Plymstock v St Blazey) and heard from the St Blazey manager and another member of their bench to the Plymstock bench... I quote "we should never have to come across the bridge to play our football" and "you lot should have never have been allowed in our league".

These comments were made when the Blazey bench had just had an arguement with their own players so they were probably annoyed about that, BUT are these the views of most clubs/players from cornwall?

Have heard a fair few people joking about it on my travels throughout cornwall. What are your thoughts?

Watched a game on saturday (Plymstock v St Blazey) and heard from the St Blazey manager and another member of their bench to the Plymstock bench... I quote "we should never have to come across the bridge to play our football" and "you lot should have never have been allowed in our league".

These comments were made when the Blazey bench had just had an arguement with their own players so they were probably annoyed about that, BUT are these the views of most clubs/players from cornwall?

Have heard a fair few people joking about it on my travels throughout cornwall. What are your thoughts?

Heard very similar comments by supporters at a recent senior cup match in Probus. The clubs that are in Devon in that league are no more than 2 or 3 miles in, but they still hate crossing that border!

What rubbish. I have yet to hear from any Cornish club saying they don't like going to Plymouth and every club I have spoken to from Plymouth is delighted to play in the ECPL Indeed the Cornish clubs are just pleased to play on decent pitches.

Why not let an official of each Cornish club come on here and say why they dont like playing in Plymouth and on decent pitches. Surely if the Cornish clubs don't like it then they should drop down to the Duchy League if they want to stay Cornish.

I can remind you again this league has always been for clubs in Cornwall and Devon.

Well said Paul.

am i reading this wrong...cornish clubs just pleased to play on decent pitches?are you saying plymouth pitches are good?cos they are far from it with the exception of tavistock...its good to have them in the league because there are some very good teams and i was dissapointed to see tamarside drop out. also 35 minutes to get to plymouth you must be having a giraffe san!!!

am i reading this wrong...cornish clubs just pleased to play on decent pitches?are you saying plymouth pitches are good?cos they are far from it with the exception of tavistock...its good to have them in the league because there are some very good teams and i was dissapointed to see tamarside drop out. also 35 minutes to get to plymouth you must be having a giraffe san!!!

Millbay Park is a quality pitch, as is Elburtons!!And Plymstocks is okay....its not as if teams like St Blazey, etc have to come and play at Tothill Enclosure or Victoria Park!!

Guest fromacrossthewater

ECPL - The quotes came directly from the St Blazey managers mouth (assuming that he is the tall grey haired guy that was shouting orders from the dug out, and the second comment from the slightly older guy also barking orders) so to say it is rubbish???

As for your comment about clubs from Plymouth being delighted to play in the ECPL, that is not what the topic is about, but to respond, I am sure they are delighted about playing in a better standard and on better pitches. After all they did choose to apply and enter the ECPL.

Guest alex bradley

beaves, depends where you travel from! i presume the mentioned 35mins is from blazey, which i guess isnt far off.

playing teams from Plymouth etc is good apart from the travelling, but then you expect that as apart of a saturday afternoon, no big deal!

It's only my opinion, but I believe our pitch at Bere Alston is one of the best playing surfaces in the ECPL.

We've never had a problem with any 'Anti' Devon felling on our travels into Cornwall and every club is assured of a warm welcome when they come to us (if not always on the pitch) and the food is pretty good too :P

(Cornish Referees?????????.....Now there's a whole different topic :angry2::D<_< )

Whats wrong with Cornish referee`s then coach KT?. You have given me a good slagging off in the past and for your information I am not from Cornwall, I have referee`d Middx, Surrey, Herts Berks, Beds, Bucks, Oxford, Gloucester, Wilts, Devon and Cornwall and I can assure there is no difference in the referee`s at all. I can recall in the recent past at a CSWL game in Devon where the 3 officials were slagged off because they were from Cornwall but such was their set opinion no one thought to look at the county badges that were worn 2 Herts 1 Berks & Bucks, so if I were you I would take you head out of the Devon mud and because the official was appointed by the CCFA it does not mean thats his origin and again I will reiterate I have found no difference in referee`s no matter where in the country I was.

I am not sure what you mean 'fromacrossthewater'. But I am sure you are correct in your quote. The St Blazey management as far as I know were having a ding-dong with their own players so its only obvious they will be having a go about anything. In any case weren't St Blazey relegated from the ECPl a few seasons ago because they were not good enough.

Coach KT, you were lacking as a player now you spend more time slaging referees than running your team, just try to do 1 thing at a time. (There are good and bad referees everywhere)

What rubbish. I have yet to hear from any Cornish club saying they don't like going to Plymouth and every club I have spoken to from Plymouth is delighted to play in the ECPL Indeed the Cornish clubs are just pleased to play on decent pitches.

Why not let an official of each Cornish club come on here and say why they dont like playing in Plymouth and on decent pitches. Surely if the Cornish clubs don't like it then they should drop down to the Duchy League if they want to stay Cornish.

I can remind you again this league has always been for clubs in Cornwall and Devon.

Well said Paul.

ECPL you must not be the person i thought you were on here, my mistake.

Some people need to lighten up, my comment about Cornish referees was very much tongue in cheek and not meant to be offensive.

I have been on here twice in the past 12 months to comment on two particular bad refereeing peformances (in my opinion), whereas the general gist of my last post was to praise the hospitality shown towards Bere Alston on their travels in Cornwall.