Cornwall Football Forum

England Squad

Peck1961

Peck1961, as a hardened Chelsea supporter of 4 decades now, I subscribe to Chelsea TV and have seen Mancienne play for the reserves regulary and at that level I can tell you he is a class act. Scholari included him in his first team squad, he has cured Wolves' defensive problems since his arrival and now Capello is giving him his chance.

So id say there is definately something there to take a look at, although I personally think Capello is very shrewd in including young and debutant players who have earned their chance to be selected even if not used. I like to see that and like Capello's way of not filling up the squad with has been's or never will be's that we have been so used to!!

Peck1961, as a hardened Chelsea supporter of 4 decades now, I subscribe to Chelsea TV and have seen Mancienne play for the reserves regulary and at that level I can tell you he is a class act. Scholari included him in his first team squad, he has cured Wolves' defensive problems since his arrival and now Capello is giving him his chance.

So id say there is definately something there to take a look at, although I personally think Capello is very shrewd in including young and debutant players who have earned their chance to be selected even if not used. I like to see that and like Capello's way of not filling up the squad with has been's or never will be's that we have been so used to!!

good call Lafs. I'm an Everton fan, but even i agree that there's no point picking Phil Neville over a rising star like Mancienne. I've not the seen the lad play yet but he's done wonders for me in the past on Football Manager... ;)

Guest Bushranger

he has played most of his senior games at QPR , he is class and im delighted for him but doesnt it show again that there is too many foreigners in our game?

he has played most of his senior games at QPR , he is class and im delighted for him but doesnt it show again that there is too many foreigners in our game?

not sure what you mean by that?

i think it shows if Capello thinks you're good enough you'll get in the national squad. it's easier to get in the England squad than the Chelsea squad by the looks of things. Chelsea obviously think enough of the lad to let him go on loan to QPR and Wolves to gain the valuable experience needed, when they know he won't play much for top-of-the-league Chelsea.

I doubt he'll play on Weds, and if Rio was available he wouldn't have made the squad anyway.

Bushranger, unfortunately money rules the world and all the Chairmen and shareholders of clubs in the Premiership that are funded by big bucks want instant success and progression and therefore their managers are under too much pressure to be patient long enough with bringing on their young starlets. And then just like most things in this Country and its economy, these young starlets are then over priced by their clubs/agents in the current market compared to foreign imports!!

Its a catch 22 im afraid, as we sacrifice our Country's youth and their development for having the most exciting and arguably best league in the world.

The only way around this it would seem would be for the FA to implement a rule that every English club in the top flight must have a certain number of English players outweighing foreigners in their squad or line-up per game. I dont think we will ever see this though as the money generated by the Prem being the the top league benefits the FA, Sky and other TV rights, Clubs, Agents, Players, Coaches, the economy and so on......but not the many young English players coming through!!

But maybe Capello's ethics will help to turn this around a little by giving opportunities to the likes of Mancienne. Lets hope so.

Guest Bushranger

if its not obvious by what i meant then i'll explain!He has played very few if any prem games,while im delighted that capello has picked him, surely there should be other english players playing regularly in the premiership therefore playing at the highest standard possible to prove themselves good enough to play international football!My personal opinion is that in some cases other english players are being prevented from showing there talents by players from overseas!

Some good points laffs!