Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Footballer of the Century

Apart from the one's already mentioned, here's a few more. Graham Allen. Mullion & Truro City, as good a midfielder as you'll see down here. Graham Nicholls. Newquay, great touch, very clever player. Neil Phillips. Penzance & Falmouth Town, amazing player. Chris Slateford. Bugle, like Neil a slippery customer with silky skills. Terry Williams. Penzance. The unsung hero of a very good Magpies side. There are lot's more if we all rattle our brains. :smiley20:

• 3 weeks later...

Took the words right out of my mouth!! Lobby, what a player.

Can anyone recall how good a player the late Bobby Blight was during his playing days as I was unfortunately too young to remember.

Or even Viv Folley?? I remember seeing his name included in an all time Cornwall 11 team somewhere quite recently.

Although I have to own up to not yet having been to St Blazey this season, I remember towards the start of last season when I spent 15 minutes or so talking to Viv Folley before one evening game.

He had so many stories to recall from when he was playing at St Blazey and Torpoint, 15 minutes wasn't anywhere near enough, 15 days wouldn't be either!

As a very young boy I remember watching him when we use to go down to some of the St Blazey midweek games, under the old floodlights which they switched off before the crowd had left the ground, leaving everyone to stumble out in complete darkness! Health & safety - didn't have to worry about those things back then!

But Viv Folley made an impression on me as a powerhouse in midfield, left-half in those days, strong as an ox and could create as well.

He was some player!

Thanks for that Dave. My family have been close to Viv's for some time and so I get to hear what an incredible player he was but I dont come across too many folk who had the pleasure of watching him in his day.

Unfortunately for him, he has battled against hip problems, incuding 2 replacements and a bone disease and has had to use crutches for over 2 years, which has taken its toll to such an extent that he has now decided to have the deseased leg amputated this year. Awful to have seen him suffer the way he has, but as you quite rightly said, strong as an ox and a real fighter.

Lafs - great shame to hear that about Viv. Should you ever get the chance to hear him talk about the old days when he was playing, I certainly recommend it. He's invited me around a couple of times to have a chat and look back though some newspaper cuttings, but I've never taken him up.

Trouble is I could spend all day doing that sort of thing! Perhaps I might get in touch with Viv before long and take up his invitation.

Bobby Blight, by the way, totally different type of player. Highly talented and I believe he was a kid at Argyle, but for various reasons never fulfilled his real true potential. But many will say that knew him better - real class.

hi lafs and good to see you on sunday , i was lucky enough to watch and train very early on with viv volley he was a very very good player and had some great characters around him at st blazey at that time , i can remember the club presenting viv with a silver salver for his services, but it was great for a kid like me to train in the company of the likes of viv chris bailey, dave pearce, les jack grainger, tony gilbert, tubby and lots more, great memories , i had the great teacher derek lobb (davids dad) in the second team but it was great on tues and thurs to all train together, but being a bugle boy born and bred the call to go back was to strong and then watching and training with garath lobb ,peter trevivian, graham nics steve washborn ( any one remember washie) graham /les trudgian and even a very young chris morris came out for a while , garath lobb was one of the finest footballers in my time simply fantastic, and along with graham nicholls ( the best five a side player iv ever seen and played with ) breathtaking both of them on their day, i had a all time squad in my mind once of players iv watched played with and supported , playing 442 nigel martin, dave ball, dave ferret, keith manley, malcome mullis, midfield norman ash garath lobb dave street , andrew street, up front graham nicholls tony kellow , subs robbie black , mike yelland ,ronnie barr ,rappo chris hawk, kevin miller and glyn hooper , manager ray nicholls , coaches gorge torrence and mark rowe ground wadebridge town new surface, ( robbie dont travel much now lol ) , before i end there has to be a bit about the great foxhole and nanpean teams under trevor and terry, what battles those derbys were , foxhole with graham bilky pete deller , terry metters ,stuart lenton , brian philps ,budgie, huddy in goal great players, nicked one against him in the 3-3 senior cup replay draw in st austell when they played their fixtures in there, and i was down st blazey playing with the mighty tony hogan up front NOW THATS A CHARATER lol any one remember hogan , only bloke i ever new played with cotton wool up his bum because if his pants got dirty his misses would not wash them , ha ha , can any one remember the left back for nanpean phill someone? moxim? great player happy memories , and enough for me to think about metts,