Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Footballer of the Century

its clear that the guys who wenty on to have pro-careers in the game will win this , why not vote on the best player to play in cornwall who never played pro football !!!!!

I agree Keano. 2 polls would be more suitable, the first for the best footballer to originate from Cornwall which undoubtedly has to be Nigel Martyn and the second poll for the best player in Cornwall has to be for me, Rappo.

Although as an opponent, Andrew Street was the best I have ever come up against personally.

Guest The Old Man

Can't argue with Nigel Martyn as the best to go on to the pro ranks. But having played against both Bradley Swiggs and Andrew Street, they have to be up there with the best players to play in South West?

Cornish Legand- Rappo!!

Cornish who made it Pro-Mike Trebilcock was an English professional footballer. He played primarily as a winger and is most famous for scoring twice in an FA Cup final for Everton, and being the first black player to score in an FA Cup Final.

Mike Trebilcock played for non-league Tavistock before joining Plymouth Argyle in December 1962. he scored 27 times in 71 league games for the Pilgrims, leading to a £23,000 move to Everton on December 31, 1965. He made his debut a few days later against Aston Villa, but was injured and spent much of the rest of the season on the sidelines. In the meantime, Everton had been progressing through to the FA Cup final, where they would meet Sheffield Wednesday. Despite having only played 4 reserve games since his injury, Trebilcock was included in the squad and surprisingly picked ahead of England international centre-forward Fred Pickering to play in the final. Wednesday took a 2-0 lead with goals from Jim McCalliog and David Ford, but within 5 minutes of Ford's goal, Trebilcock had scored twice to level the scores. A goal from Derek Temple sealed the win for Everton.

Even after the cup final, he struggled to establish himself in the Everton side and in January 1968, after 3 goals in only 11 league games for Everton, he moved to Portsmouth for a fee of £40,000. He was a regular goalscorer at Portsmouth, netting 33 times in 109 league games, before a free transfer took him to Torquay United in July 1972. He spent just one season at Plainmoor, hitting 10 goals in 24 league games, leaving in June 1973 to join Weymouth on a free transfer. In March 1974 he emigrated to Sydney, Australia where he played for Western Suburbs and won the NSW Rothmans Medal in 1974

Guest Postie Pidge

Tony Kellow (born May 1, 1952 in Falmouth, United Kingdom) was a professional footballer, most notably with Exeter City.

A centre-forward, he signed for Exeter City from Falmouth Town in 1976, and was sold to Blackpool, in November 1978, for £105,000. He returned to Exeter in March 1980 for a second spell, and joined Plymouth Argyle in 1983. Brief spells with Swansea City and Newport County followed before a return for a third spell with Exeter which ended in 1988.

He is regarded by fans as one of Exeter's all-time greats, associated with the club's most successful spell in the old Third Division and a famous run to the FA Cup quarter-finals in 1981. He scored a hat-trick in the 3-1 win over Leicester City. That year he was top scorer in all 4 divisions with 25 goals.

In recent years he has worked as commercial manager at Exeter City.

Tony is passionate Cornishman and is Vice Chairman of the Cornwall Commonwealth Games Association which is campaigning to have a team from Cornwall at future Commonwealth Games, as opposed to competing in the England team.

Guest Peppermint

I am surprised that Chris Morris has not got a mention - he started with Newquay and played for Celtic etc and also because of parental qualifications went on to play for a successful Republic of Ireland side.

Chris played for Newquay on his return to the Duchy for a couple of seasons.

Guest Postie Pidge

TK did play for Penzance in between spells at Bickland Park.

Mike Tiddy, ex postmaster from The Lizard had a spell at Arsenal but always refused to play on Good Friday.

Guest Magpie29

A few more not mentioned.

Anthony Tonkin - played for Mousehole before going on to Yeovil Crewe and Stockport

Jason Blunt - from Penzance - started pro career at Leeds but unsure if he played SWL or Combo

Dave Philp - started at Newquay before joining Argyle

Guest Peppermint

I think that Gerry Gazzard who played for West Ham was a former Secretary of the old South Western League. His grandson Carl Gazzard is a wicketkeeper with Somerset County Cricket Club.

Roy Carter Midfielder born Torpoint 1954

Clubs-Torpoint Athletic -Falmouth Town

Professional Clubs(Football League) Played 495 games scored 76 goals 1975-1988

Hereford United apps. 71 goals 9

Swindon Town apps.200 goals 34

Torquay United apps 27 goals 8

Bristol rovers apps 4 goals 1

Newport County apps 152 goals 22

Exeter City apps 41 goals 2

Mike Trebilcock did move on from Tavistock but played more games for Gunnislake than any other club. Now living in Australia. One of several Gunnislake players to go to professional clubs at that time.

Born Gunnislake-Cornwall

Professional clubs 1962-1973 played 215 scoring 73 goals.

Plymouth Argyle;Everton;Portsmouth;Torquay United

Mike Tiddy - Winger - From The Lizard, born Helston 1929,

Started his career at Torquay, but had to wait 2 years before he could play due to national service,

Signed for Cardiff City in 1950, became an ever-present and one of the clubs most popular players. Played 145 games scoring 19 goals

Transfered to Arsenal in '55 along another player - Gordon Nutt. for Brian Welsh part exchange. Played 52 games and scored 8 goals, spent most of his time at arsenal injured.

moved to Brighton and Hove Albion in '58 played 133 games scoring 11 goals and came back to cornwall after to play for Falmouth Town

noa lobb was the one guy every one talked about when i was younger the first guy to play out side the county he used to catch a train up to ilfacombe from bugle which was never heard of back then, and yes it was garath lobbs dad , he has to be one of the finest footballers the county has produced, and up to date we have a guy at chesterfield jamie lowery phills brother at godolphin. only in his early twentys but already put forward for young midlands player of the year, a really nice guy and a credit to his family, just watch the space because i think he will go a lot higher ,, alan metters

THANKS FOR THE SHOUTS PORKER,DEANO,JONESY,TONY AND LAFS!!! CHUFFED WITH THAT! ONLY SAW MYSELF AS A GOAL HANGER TO BE HONEST!! AGREE WITH YOU LAFS,GOTTA SAY ANDY STREET(sledge to his friends!!)HAD IT ALL,HEAD,TACKLE,RUN ALL DAY,SHOT,BOTH FEET,COULD GLIDE PAST PEOPLE,MAGIC PLAYER TO PLAY ALONGSIDE.AND DAVE STREAT,103 COUNTY GAMES!!! WE USED TO HAVE 20 A SIDE GAMES IN MALABAR WHEN I WAS A KID AND DAVE WOULD STILL HAVE TIME ON THE BALL!!!!! WHAT A LEGEND! DAVE'S DAD CHARLIE WAS AT WEST HAM FOR A WHILE AS WELL,USED TO LOVE HEARING HIS

FOOTBALL STORIES AS A WEE NIPPER.

PS) NO ONES MENTIONED ME OLD MATE MARTIN GRITTON.GRITTS HAS HAD OVER 250 LEAGUE APPEARANCES NOW AND SCORED 68 GOALS IN LEAGUE FOOTBALL.ALL THIS AFTER BEING TOLD HE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR TRURO 3RD'S!!! KNEW YOU COULD DO IT BUD!!!!! :clapper:

Got to agree with 'Rappo' regarding ANDY STREET the complete all round player and its all the more convincing to read those attributes, especially coming from a fellow team mate.

Andy has got to be one the finest players to grace the history of Cornish Football.

From memory when I was Falmouth prog.editor Andy's profile shows he came from Ripley in Derbyshire.

My all time favourite and so similar to Andy,with the same qualities was NORMAN ASHE (a human dynamo)who arrived at Bickland from I think Rotherham in the late 60's.

At the time he was the youngest ever player to play for Aston Villa-is that still the case?

I have a copy of a Schoolboy International April 25th.1959 when England faced West Germany -No.7 outside right Norman Ashe(Brierley Hill school) and others Chris Lawler Liverpool Capt. and left half No.6 Martin Peters(Dagenham)

In the W.Germany side was another World Cup 66 star in Wolfgang Overath.

Can Pidgeon dig out his playing record at Falmouth (when you get back from Bolitho park)

I know he became a civil servant in Falmouth and at one time was club chairman.

Has anyone seen him around?

THANKS FOR THE SHOUTS PORKER,DEANO,JONESY,TONY AND LAFS!!! CHUFFED WITH THAT! ONLY SAW MYSELF AS A GOAL HANGER TO BE HONEST!! AGREE WITH YOU LAFS,GOTTA SAY ANDY STREET(sledge to his friends!!)HAD IT ALL,HEAD,TACKLE,RUN ALL DAY,SHOT,BOTH FEET,COULD GLIDE PAST PEOPLE,MAGIC PLAYER TO PLAY ALONGSIDE.AND DAVE STREAT,103 COUNTY GAMES!!! WE USED TO HAVE 20 A SIDE GAMES IN MALABAR WHEN I WAS A KID AND DAVE WOULD STILL HAVE TIME ON THE BALL!!!!! WHAT A LEGEND! DAVE'S DAD CHARLIE WAS AT WEST HAM FOR A WHILE AS WELL,USED TO LOVE HEARING HIS

FOOTBALL STORIES AS A WEE NIPPER.

PS) NO ONES MENTIONED ME OLD MATE MARTIN GRITTON.GRITTS HAS HAD OVER 250 LEAGUE APPEARANCES NOW AND SCORED 68 GOALS IN LEAGUE FOOTBALL.ALL THIS AFTER BEING TOLD HE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR TRURO 3RD'S!!! KNEW YOU COULD DO IT BUD!!!!! :clapper:

Last time i spoke to Gritz he had a Scottish accent, i know it was in L2!!! Sorry Rappo

Haydn-I do remember and have traced your previous comments on Norman

On the first Cornish Forum page there is a search box top right and all material referring to Norman Ashe is available.

I have therefore answered my own question Norman played at Falmouth 1969-1979 making 250 appearances scoring 110 goals. Returning 1983 as Chairman

In season 1983-84 he appeared for Falmouth Town first team when they were demoted to the Cornwall Combination League-would that be the time you played against him?

Guest geachy1

my favourite is rappo when i was a kid i used to go watch falmouth town with my dad and uncle and rappo was a "star"

then bot 10years later i played against him felt like i playing ahainst alan shearer!!!!

also another great kevin miller my dads couson when he was alive.

:c:

Gerry Gazzard !

As a boy my Grandad a Pz fan and fundraiser filled my head with tales of his brilliance and when I ran various errands at the East Terrace Post Office he ran in Pz I was more than a little in awe of what I understood to be a star.

His son then taught me as a seven year old and late in my career I was able to play against his grandson Carl.

Gerry Gazzard !