Cornwall Football Forum

Which team has surprised you so far?

we're nearlly into the first quarter of the season and whichever league you support or follow who has been your surprise package so far.

i am a fan of callington town. would like your views on them so far this season. they have been my surprise package from the western division as they only managed 4 wins last season, now they're in with a chance of promotion although penzance could take some beating.

in the premier i think clyst have been a surprise package. i remember callington playing them pre-season and winning 6-2 against a full side and to be honest they have done really well considering.

i dont really follow the eastern league but callington and clyst for me what about everyone else.

I saw Callington early on in the season at Marshfield and my thoughts then were that they had a pretty well-balanced and reasonable looking squad (who were well “up for it” on that day), and that they would most certainly fair a lot better than last season. Judging by recent form it appears that they have carried on this good early start and I would say that Callington are up there with Penzance, Porthleven and Hayle (another vastly improved outfit) as being the main protagonists for the Div 1 West title this year. I think we all knew Penzance would be up there this year for obvious reasons and Porthleven’s team is probably stronger this season than last (despite 5 players going to Penzance). Having watched all four of these sides now, I believe we are in for a much tighter battle for the title than last season’s two-horse race, as all four are easily capable of beating one or other at some stage, and probably will.

Ooh heck.. shame on me…I have forgotten a fifth side who will surely be in the mix as well… St Austell. I haven’t seen them yet this season, but knowing some of the players and bearing in mind recent results, they have to be in there as well. Looks like a good contest this year in Div 1 West.

Yes i agree with the fact that its going to be a tough league this year....

I played for Wadebridge last year and winning the league was amazing, we had a great season but i think the league is harder this year than last and playing in it again this year is more exciting than last.....

Guest bigdawg1

Yes i agree with the fact that its going to be a tough league this year....

I played for Wadebridge last year and winning the league was amazing, we had a great season but i think the league is harder this year than last and playing in it again this year is more exciting than last.....

is that because you got bombed from wadebridge last year ?, i mean dont get me wrong i think from what i have heard n by who is there that callington have a good squad this year, havent u only played on a couple of occasion's ?

bigdawg1... Im guessing by that stupid remark that i either know you or you have absolutly no idea about anything to do with me or football as a general sport.................

I didnt get "bombed" at all and if your thinkning that then that is your own opinion, that you are entitled to have, but i suggest you get your facts straight before you decide to run your mouth on a forum that is full of people that would like to discuss matters rather than try and put people down!!!!!!!!

I left Wadebrdige because of work commitment and the traveling would have been impossible during the pre season, which would have meant me not being able to train or play freindlies... And 2 yes i have only recently joined Callington as a new signing but that has no relevents to what i was saying, it is a well known fact that last year it was a two horse race from start to finish. No one was ever going to catch Wadebridge or Porthleven because they were playing the better football and had the better squads, but this year there are more teams with just as good if not beter squads than the teams from last year .... Porthleven (again) penzance, hayle, callington, st austel, truro 2nds need i go on??

Any one of those teams would be a worry for any premier side, and to Dobwalls credit they took the league Champions all the way the other eve so i guess Bigdawg1 if you had any knowledge of the game you would try not to put others down on a subject you know nothing about!!!!!!

Harris, this is the second thread in which our over opinionated friend "Bigdawg1" has spurted his foul mouth off in the space of a week. Not knowing who he is as he hides behind what I suspect is a self nominated title, I can only assume he is either bitter and twisted, uneducated or just likes dishing insults from behind his "Bigmouth1" disguise.....sorry "Bigdawg1"!!! :SM_carton:

Anyway, back to the topic and would anyone agree with me that the SWPL West has become more competitive due to some stronger players dropping down a level or even 2 levels in some cases to play for their local clubs and in particular in the further west area, to avoid the travelling that the Premier league presents?

Anyway, back to the topic and would anyone agree with me that the SWPL West has become more competitive due to some stronger players dropping down a level or even 2 levels in some cases to play for their local clubs and in particular in the further west area, to avoid the travelling that the Premier league presents?

Hi Phil, prompts the question,what next if these players get promotion, drop down again?

Speaking as a follower of Penzance since 1972, the surprise team this year have been Penzance! I still can't quite believe it! :D

Oh yeah ,im absolutely stunned that Penzance are doing well this year.

I mean who would have thought it with £1000+ plus PER WEEK at their disposal. And the West Division can hardly be compared to the old SWL.

Morning all :rolleyes:

Thats an interesting question Chairman. I guess it also depends on whether their clubs actually seek the ambition for promotion. It would be interesting to know which of the clubs currently challenging at the top end of the West league do or dont intend to take promotion if they finish high enough this season. Its clearly evident that PZ intend to, but what about Port this season as they didnt last season?? And theres Hayle, Truro, St Austell and Callington all competing at the top- would any of these fancy taking the plunge and therefore planning to develop their grounds and facillities in order to do so???

Only then will we know what their players will do.

Interesting point also made on the comparing of the SWPL West to the old SWL too. Not sure where it actually came from mind, but would like to hear Seeker of Truth and Justice reasons for why it cant be?

Jonsey's probably right, but Callington have been a bit of a surprise after all their struggling years. Penzance and St Austell haven't surprised me seeing who they can field. Truro Coty Reserves are doing better than I thought they'd do, though they're up there partly through having played more games than most. I thought they'd struggle, though, and they aren't exactly.

I agree with Lafs and Andy Harris, we did well to win the league and get out at the first attempt. Porthlevan and ourselves were more than 20 points ahead of Mousehole in third place. We knew the league would be a lot more difficult to win this year and so it is proving; with Penzance, Porthlevan, & St.Austell playing really well and Truro, Callington, Hayle, Newquay etc not far behind.

Myself and my big mate Dave Ferrett who was a fantastic player; really rated Andy Harris and thought he was a top player for us and he will make a difference to Callington without doubt; unfortunately Andy's job is such that training was out of the question and so Stuart, who wants everyone to train every week couldn't make one rule for Andy and another for the rest of the squad so we were sad to see Andy leave.

I think the league title will go to the wire with Penzance probably slight favouites; great to see St.Austell doing so well and all the St.Austell boys playing for their home club; well done Glyn and his squad.

Hello Mr Black...

Thanks very much for those kind words... I really enjoyed every minute with Wadebridge and am routing for them everytime i pick the paper up to see how you boys got on every Saterday....

Great team with a great manager who brought the best out of me and others last season who paved the way to winning the league title.

However it is true and i stand by what i have said earlier it is a harder league this year and teams are pulling out all the stops to win the league.

Im looking forward to the rest of the season and WISH WADEBRIDGE ALL THE BEST OF LUCK IN WINNING TROPHIES THIS YEAR....

Thanks again Blackie and am wishing you the best of luck also in pushing the Bridgers in the right direction..

Speak soon buddy

Blackie and Harris, pack it up having a love-in!!!!!

I do agree the West is more competitive this season, but I still reckon our squad from last season could win it this season if we needed to....we had so much spirit and never knew when we were out of any game.

The good news is...we don't have to cos we were the first ever winners of it!!

All the best Trigger, get that window open will you!