Cornwall Football Forum

Youth Football

As part of my normal sunday routine i spent this morning watching my brother play football! I coach at youth level but have avoided taking an active role on a sunday as wanting to support my brother and other things during the week.

Rightly so today there was a sending off of a young player for mouthing off to the ref! There was no need for the player to express his opinion cause it was his foul throw (only his fifth of the game) which led to the refs intervention.

After the game the ref said to the parents "i willl not send it in!" The ref did a great job in a good contest but i am a bit concerned that this offence will not be punished!

I am wondering if any one else has experienced a situation like this? Youth football is the place to learn not get away with being abusive to a ref!

Guest Cornishdave1980

What age group was the game?

Most kids these days can tell right from wrong almost the minute they can play football. As a Youth Football Coord I am always fully supportive of the officials following through any caution or sending off.

If, during any of my training sessions and offence oocurs where a child seriously breaches one of the FA rules he will be removed from the session until the following week.

Unfortunately, I feel the referee in question has probably done more harm than good to the child in question as he will no doubt commit the same offence in the future.

Maybe the ref needs the jump off the nanny state train and deliver the correct message to young children.

I think Under 15s and 16s should have definate yellow & red card guidelines as this is something they will have to be ruled by in Junior football when they progess through to that level. Unfortunately the Kernow League only insist on appointed refs for U16s at the moment due to the shortage of officials due to ladies & sunday league games.

The game you are talking is the demolition of Newquay by Wendron and knowing the lad like I do and having spoken to him about it the lad did not and would not swear at an adult be it a referee or anyone else.

And with being only about 10-12 yards away from the throw when it was taken I can state whole heartedly that it wasn't a foul throw.

What the lad actually said was and this was about a minute later for the record was to a team mate "make sure you do it right from behind your head and don't throw it towards the ground or he will have you for it"

Everybody out there can make there own minds as to whether they think that this is worthy of a red card

All the parents at Wendron agree with me when I say that the refs must be respected and I personally would march onto the pitch and drag my 14 year old lad off the pitch by his earhole if I heard him swearing at anybody let alone an official.

And no it wasn't my lad Kegan who was sent off (before anybody starts tarring him with the same brush as me)

MAC

By my maths thats 2 red cards in U15 games this weekend, whats going on? Looks like Rabinowitz_The_Red has been booking and sending off a few kids as well then !! Did you/are you sending in your cards then? Its no wonder you get so much stick when refereeing school games these days if they get away with it at the weekend for their clubs!!

I was also at the game on sunday and did witness the behaviour of one of the wendron coaches towards the ref . he was not content with that outburst he then carried it on before he left the match with other supporters one who happens to be with the ccfa . i hope he reads your points and passes his on to the league . the boy in question came out from the changing room and laughed about how the ref is not even sending it in , not that he did not do anything or that he was sorry . yes he really has learnt his lesson !!!!!!

Yes it was 6-0 to Wendron well done, but i dont see how the result has anything to do with my point!

I never said the player swore! What he did do was act like a little boy when he got told about the foul throw again! All the foul throws given where spot on and some where missed! The whole incident went on for about a minute before the card was shown, the player continued to display his disappointment at the ref!

Decision made off you go!

Like it or lump it the card should be sent in! If the player wants to appeal do what the rest of the footballing world has to do and appeal it or in future just keep it shut! The place to start getting respect for a referee is at a young age. Getting away with it now will only lead to it happening again!

Rightly or wrongly the card has been issued it should now be followed up!

Guest Greeter

After reading the reports of the game wendron vs newquay i feel i should respond to the comment made by someone who said about the outburst of a wendron coach. As it was me, i would just like to ask anyone reading, do they feel its right that a ref can tell a manager or a coach that he can not tell one of his players to go down when he was injured? because thats what i was told. Plus as i was leaving the ground to go watch my 11 year old play football, i got told to shut up and get in the dug out by a member of the ccfa because i was encoraging my sons team? Where do you give this man respect ?

Well greeter, you should not tell a player to go down as this could be taken as unsporting conduct ( attempting to stop the game) if the player was still on his feet and mobile he should just ask to leave the field of play for treatment , also you could have shouted to the ref and ask OK for the player to leave the field of play for treatment, quite simple and straightforward. As to encouraging or coaching, if there is a technical area thats where it should be done from ( the dugout is in the technical area) so quite correct to send you to the dugout.

I think that discipline in youth football is good untill you get to under 16's/under 18's level. As i'm only 16 i've got a good insight in to it, i've had a few cards especially in under 16's. I've started playing senior football and i've calmed down alot, most managers don't help either. Perhaps to stop the problem the parents should set an example to the kids

I think that discipline in youth football is good untill you get to under 16's/under 18's level. As i'm only 16 i've got a good insight in to it, i've had a few cards especially in under 16's. I've started playing senior football and i've calmed down alot, most managers don't help either. Perhaps to stop the problem the parents should set an example to the kids

Most of our behaviour problems in Society reflect the bad example set by parents.