Cornwall Football Forum

mullion v portreath match report

25/10/2008

Cornwall Combination League Cup

1st Round

mullion 5-2 portreath

mullion arrived with a squad of 14 players expecting to play new signing,goalkeeper jason kitchen,unfortunately he did not turn up due to reasons unknown!

left back daniel higgins (shockingly) stepped up to don the jersey and stand in!!

the game started off scrappy for the first ten minutes on a small pitch,which was cutting up and windy conditions,mullion began to take control of the game when portreath conceded a freekick just in-side their half,a good delivery by ben stidwell found ben tremayne making a late run to head the ball over the keeper but hit the crossbar, minutes later a will duke pass that found dan stidwell allowed him to hold it up whilst midfeilder chris ensink advanced in to the box with acres of space only for stidwell to go for goal and not test the keeper with a dismall effort,mullion finaly opened the scoring on 25minutes with rob carey in a similar situation,dan stidwell chose the right pass this time and it payed off,portreath were finding it hard to cope with mullions pace and conceded a further 2 goals the first from a good build up an when chris ensink chipped the ball over the defence for dan stidwell to challenge the keeper and pull it back for nick slade to fire home from 6yards,the third came from a well worked corner with a perfect delivery from will duke,centre back ben stidwell got on the end of it to flick it on into the net, mullion took their foot of the pedal and alowed portreath to get back in to the game and string some passes together,with the portreaths strikers holding the ball up well but not bieng able to find that final ball,minutes before haltime confusion and lack of comunication between will duke and charlie cheetham led to a portreath goal when there strike nicked the ball and cooly slotted past stand in keeper dan higgins,

in the second half portreath came out with a bit more bite and mullion took some time to re-find their 1st half stride!! when the ball was played over the mullion defence it looked all to simple for higgins to pick the ball up off the bounce and clumsily put it out for a corner which led to a big scrable in the box and mullion lucky to get away without conceding!!in form nick slade then scored his second of the day from a long goalkick which he got on the end of and finish off with a superb lob from 18yrds!! straight back down the other end and portreath got their 2nd goal with debatable linesman decision who flagged the player onside for him to finish,as the game came to a close mullion tightened up and kept the ball,the final goal was scored after many passes to eventually reached dan stidwell to claim his 7th goal of the season,

well done to both the teams as the both battled well and neither seemed to give up,mullion created and took more of their chances on the day!!

cant disagree with anything you said really mullion were easily the best side on the day . just one point i would like to bring up though not one person from mullion came back to our club and the club laid on food for both teams . i find that very poor i know some people have to shoot off but surely not everyone . :SM_carton:

Guest blue203

Sammo we would of come back if someone had told us where it was that you went back to, we always stay behind for a drink win or loose. I did ask the referee who thought you went to the rugby club. I will apologise for our team but I can only suggest that someone informs the away team in future where you drink.. Oh by the way our goalkeeper turned up in Portreath for the game..

I can see your point about not being told were portreath drink after a game and the ref was almost right they did drink at the rugby club but are now back at the british legion in Redruth not sure why but i did hear that the rugby club would only put on food for the home team (There loss i guess)

Talking of being informed though did no one from Mullion tell your goalkeeper that portreath play at clijah which is in Redruth :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: classic

Guest blue203

No cockerkneeboy he wasn't at training Last week and and yes your right what was he thinking off turning up at Portreath to play Portreath, he must of had a bad upbrining....

was told by are chairman that he went into mullions changing room after the game and told them where we drink but anyhow its happened now . as for kitchy not knowing where are ground is thats hard to believe as we played against him twice last season. best of luck to mullion for the rest of the season

Have to agree with Sammo 66 there,having refereed Kitchy last season playing against Portreath at Clijah Croft (he probably wanted to forget one of those games though!)

yes i remember that soccer follower but thats the way it is for keepers he had a great game and one silly mistake at the end and game over. have to say though mullion have signed a very good keeper with kitchy and he will improve a good young side

I fully agree with the match report. We were in my opinion poor today. I can confirm that I did go into the Mullion changing room to let them all know where we drink. On final note if Mullion keeps these young lads together with their new manager they will do well in the years to come.

more importantly... diana off x factor would get it!! hahah na i did a job in goal and was surprised as anyone that i could catch a ball.. as u'll know if you've ever attended one of our kickabouts!! good game played in good spirit think both teams if honest care more about cementing a solid league finish! next time were up i'll make sure we all stick around for food dependi on what it is hahah best of luck portreath!! dan aka grobbalar :D