Cornwall Football Forum

Barnstaple Town

Will Barnstaple be members of the SWPL next season?

Currently bottom of the Western League Premier and with the resignation of manager Pete Buckingham probably due to the cut in budget which has seen a number of top players leave Mill Road.

A meeting has been called for Tuesday where it will be advised that if relegation arises the best way forward to safeguard the future of the club is to apply to the SWPL rather than go down to W.L. Div1.

The Western League Div.1 has only one Devon club (Elmore) and is based to a more easterly Bristol area wheras the SWPL will have a slightly easier travel in distance.

The deadline for withdrawal from the Western league must be in place by December 31st.

With the uncertainty at Newton Abbot there could be many twists and turns to the structure of the SWPL next season regarding promotion and relegation.

To be honest-YES

As I see it -Assuming no SWPL club accepts promotion to the Western League Premier.

(A)-If Newton Abbot withdraw from the league it would be One club relegated and Two clubs promoted (Div1W + Div1E) to keep the 20 club league

(B)If Newton Abbot withdraw and Barnstaple request relegation to the SWPL(P) rather than WL Div1 it would be Two up and Two down

C-If Newton Abbot remain in the league and Barnstaple get admitted it would mean a 21 club League which the rules do not cover .

There is also the possibility that a SWPL Div1 club does not take promotion.

• 2 weeks later...

Barnstaple have just appointed a new manager in 38 year old local lad Owen Pickard-previous clubs Plymouth argyle;Yeovil Town;Hereford United etc.

Barnstaple remain 3 point adrift at the foot of the W.L. Premier after a 1-5 home defeat last night v Wellington Town.

So if they get relegated -will it be to the SWPL(P) or the WL Div1?

I have to agree with that. Out of all the new teams we played, you did bring the most away fans!! But im wouldnt be far wrong to say the numbers you brought to Blaize Park would be as many as Clyst, Dartmouth, Ivybridge, Elburton brought together!! Sad I no.....but its true!!! :blink:

To be honest-YES

As I see it -Assuming no SWPL club accepts promotion to the Western League Premier.

(A)-If Newton Abbot withdraw from the league it would be One club relegated and Two clubs promoted (Div1W + Div1E) to keep the 20 club league

(B)If Newton Abbot withdraw and Barnstaple request relegation to the SWPL(P) rather than WL Div1 it would be Two up and Two down

C-If Newton Abbot remain in the league and Barnstaple get admitted it would mean a 21 club League which the rules do not cover .

There is also the possibility that a SWPL Div1 club does not take promotion.

And a possibility Elmore seek to transfer

I would be in favour of Barnstaple joining our division. I know certain people still have a phobia of crossing the Tamar, but Barnstaple is a well known town and team and would only be a good thing for the credibility of the league.

I would be open to Elmore coming across as well - I was there last season and the facilities are good.

Having said all that, I hope Falmouth get out of their current predicament and find some money for urgent ground repairs. I wish St Austell all the best as well and would be happy to see them back up at our level next season.

Teams in the SWPL Premier should be there based on merit, not location as some would wish.

• 1 month later...

Barnstaple now 10 points adrift at the foot of the Western League Premier

If it doesn't improve will they take relegation to the Western League div 1 OR take a sideways move to the South West Peninsula League Premier ??

considering the furthest in western division one is penzance and mousehole its too far i would imagine they'd go to the eastern league with most teams from north devon newton abbot area