Cornwall Football Forum

STATEMENT BY PADSTOW UNITED

It was reluctantly agreed, following a special committee meeting held on the 22nd October 2008, to withdraw Padstow United AFC from the East Cornwall Premier League with immediate effect. This very difficult decision was not taken lightly. The Club gives its apologies to the League and its many supporters.

It is our intention to immediately apply to the Duchy League for the enrolment of Padstow United AFC in the 2009/2010 season. The Club will continue to function as normal with monthly committee meetings, fully supporting our youth structure which we believe is the way forward.

Kind regards

Richard Ellis

Hon. Secretary Padstow United AFC

I am sorry to say this should have happened last season. This club obviously had no intention whatsoever to complete the season in the ECPL. After all the hassle from last season this club should not be allowed to enter any league in Devon and Cornwall for a period of time i.e a season or two. This would make clubs stop and think of their actions.

If they are unable to compete in the ECPL how are they expected to compete in the Duchy League. They could always form there own league. They could call it 'The Micky Mouse Saturday League' because that is the sort of setup they have.

Yes, clubs are struggling through one reason or another, but this club has had problems since last season. If they knew they were going to have problems with raising a team etc, they should of withdrawn from the league before the start of the season.

Goonhaver, Tamarside, Newton Abbot and other teams will join them before the end of the season. Clubs now need to try and cut costs etc so that they are able to continue playing higher grade football

Once again some silly comments. Perhaps if people contacted the club they would find out.

I'm afraid this comment beggars belief 'This club obviously had no intention whatsoever to complete the season in the ECPL'.

There are always reasons why clubs get into trouble but comments like that should be treated with disdain.

I for one thought they should have been kicked out the League for not finishing the season, although Bodmin and Lifton struggled last season but seem to have changed it around so good on the league in giving them a chance.

As for entering the Duchy league i think they will have to be voted in at the agm. Unlike other leagues this will be decided by the Members themselves.

Guest HICKERS

Good luck to Padstow, it seems like too many people want to bury teams when they hit a low.

I beleive in Cornwall players shift arond the county so much that it brings high and lows to all teams at some point so lets back them through hard times.