Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Senior Cup

Cornwall Senior Cup Round 2

Saturday 6th December 2008. Kick-Off 2 pm or 2.30pm if floodlights are available.

Bodmin Town v Truro City

Callington Town v Mousehole

Falmouth Town v Wendron United

Hayle v Perranporth

Helston Athletic v Saltash United

Illogan RBL v Foxhole Stars

Launceston v Perranwell

Millbrook v Liskeard Athletic

Penryn Athletic v Godolphin Atlantic

Porthleven v Penzance

Probus v Dobwalls

St Dominick v Newquay

St Stephens Borough v St Blazey

Sticker v Bude Town

Torpoint Athletic v Camelford

Wadebridge Town v St Austell

Guest crosser

Cornwall Senior Cup Round 2

Saturday 6th December 2008. Kick-Off 2 pm or 2.30pm if floodlights are available.

St Stephens Borough v St Blazey

:o its true! so chairman you going for a change of venue :D

Will it be Bodmin Town v Truro City Reserves?

Also first ever meeting between Falmouth Town and Wendron United at first team level.

St Blazey playing at St.Stephen Borough on the artificial pitch-will Paul and the Blazey following have to view through the fencing or have I completely visualised it wrongly ?

I personally, having played on that actual pitch and other 3D pitches, think other teams should not be made to play on them. Particularly at senior level. My opinion on this is not only based on the fact that there maybe an advantage to the home side, but quite simply the game cannot be played on one of these pitches in the way it is on natural surfaces.

Maybe someone may like to put a Vote facility on this subject for those who have experiened this particular or similar pitches and for those who have an opinion on them?

I certainly dont think the Chairman will be alone on this one. :SM_carton:

Paul, St Stephens Borough in Saltash and newly promoted to senior football, play on a "caged" 3D pitch! It is a small and confined surface area in which the ball can run out of play often if not played to its strengths. Very frustrating! Plus it does not lend itself to an over physicallly sided game due to effect the surface can also have.

That said, St Stephens Borough have some steady players, Dave Wilkinson and Andy Wright to name two, but dont be fooled, this pitch is a definate advantage to a home side that train and play on it regulary.

Sounds like a bit of a kick around place with your mates!! Theres not a basket ball ring at each end to incase the footy becomes boring is there?? Im open minded to many things but plastic football pitches!! Oh well.....well soon find out all about it. Thanks for the info Laffs. And theres me thinking we had a short journey for a minute. :lol:

Some people will say it's a better surface than most when some less quality pitches begin to suffer during the winter months, but there can be no substitute for grass for me, certainly not at Senior level anyway.

It will be a short trip Paul.....for the players!! ;)

It might be better in extreme weather but at the end of the day, grass and mud is grass and mud. Put it this way....i wouldnt want to see it at St Blazey or anywhere to be honest. But well see how it goes first. Nice little wink about the local players thing Laffs but those days are few and far between. Look at the Premiership.....a local player there could be from anywhere in Europe!!!! :lol:

This is actually not a bad draw, as we seriously need to get a cup run going after going out of every other cup competition at the first possible stage.

We can't have too many complaints about the artificial pitch, as the FA do allow them. Last season, on the road with Bradford (Park Avenue), I visited Woodley Sports (Stockport) who also play on an artificial pitch. They play in the Unibond League, two levels about St Blazey and five above St Stephens Borough. However, I would have more of an issue if the pitch is indeed "caged off". In the senior cup, teams can reasonably expect crowds of 200-300 if they progress to the latter stages, and it would not seem appropriate to be watching through a fence.

On the plus side, I heard St Stephens Borough are issuing programmes for this season.

A programme, a new ground, and lower league opposition to kick off our senior cup campaign. I'm happy with that.

Guest st george9

Dan blazey we at borough look foward to the game ,and it may not be the easy walkover to the next round you think it will..as for the pitch i thought this subject had beeen discussed at length already ,would blazey be happy if we told them to play at st austell as we didnt like their ground???

anyway Dan there is plenty of room for all your flags at are place :D

Guest Man on the Post

What a draw after the criticism levelled at the 3G pitch and the CCFA by the Chairman. Couldn't have worked out better for the CCFA if they'd planned it! :D :D

Guest Alex Haste

Many thanks for all your concerns over the Artificial Pitch. We certainly are a hot subject

These new 3G Atsro Grass ( Not the stuff you find at places like Manadon or Brickfields) are being played on all around the country. They have been affiliated by both CountyFa's and leagues. Uefa have also now made 3G pitches eligble for Professional events.

The Pilgrim pitch site was developed by Barlcays Space for Sports / Sport England. And all test were carried out before the grand opening making sure that it would be eligble which it is. Please keep in mind that 30 of these sites have been opened linking each one with a Barlclays Premiership Club. Unfortunately the south west did not have one of these and PAFC were then brought in.

With reference to St Blazey not being FOr the site, why is it that they travel all the way to Saltash to train on the pitch each week.

The surface here is immaculate ( Flat, short and fast Isnt this the way football is played in the Premiership) So i would think brilliant football could be played here at a very high standard, Im one to know that before each game in the premiership the home team waters their pitch to create this kind of kind . Plymouth Parkway proved it this season when they came to Saltmill and played St Stephens and unfortunately won. I cant see it as a advantage to our team ( St Stephens Borough ) Any good footballer will surely relish playing on this pitch as it brings the best out in them and heightens their football skill of close control and quick passing. Have you seen how goals have been scored this season at Saltmill!!!

With a view to spectating. Crowds can enter the pitch by paying an admission fee of £1 and stand in the designated crowd area. A bargain if you ask me, £1 for a great game of football.

We look forward to hosting St Blazey in the next tie and also welcome all other teams to be played against in the upcoming fixtures

I understand that it will be Truro City first team, and their league fixture will be rescheduled. It is probably time to consider when they should enter the cup to avoid one of the two best sides knocked out so early. Perhaps clubs above step 5 should enter the third round in future years.

Devon St Lukes Cup draw is such that the clubs above step 5 (Tiverton, Torquay etc) enter in the last 16, therefore having a maximum of 4 games.

Have a look on the CCFA web site.

I've had a quick butchers and it looks like 11.

First win in 1935/36 beat Newquay Rovers 5-1 then

1945/50

53/54

55/56

57/58

59/60

62/63

86/87

99/00

2000/01

01/02

Hope that helps.

I understand that it will be Truro City first team, and their league fixture will be rescheduled. It is probably time to consider when they should enter the cup to avoid one of the two best sides knocked out so early. Perhaps clubs above step 5 should enter the third round in future years.

Devon St Lukes Cup draw is such that the clubs above step 5 (Tiverton, Torquay etc) enter in the last 16, therefore having a maximum of 4 games.

Will they put off a league game at Bracknell in Berkshire on Saturday 6th Dec. knowing it would be rearranged for midweek.

Perhaps Bodmin will be generous and rearrange the CSC tie for an evening game at Priory Park

I would imagine between 30 and 50 will travel to watch St Blazey at St Stephens Borough. So whats the view like? Is there a barrier to lean on inside the enclosed fence? Should be an intresting afternoon.

You're so lazy Paul. Can't believe the only thing you're interested in is whether or not you'll have a barrier to lean on!

:c:

Well im just trying to build up a picture of this place. I have a vision of a bird cage with a football pitch inside!! :lol: Is it anything like the pitch at the Dragon Centre at Bodmin?

Before all that we have a trip to Holsworthy tomorrow for starters!! :thumbsup:

Hi Paul, this is the place that was the subject of many postings when the FA dictated to the East Cornwall League and imposed these facilities on so-called senior football in the County.

If this is accepted as the norm it will signal the end of proper competitive football with no spectator enjoyment.

Guest st george9

i dont know how many more times i can explain...the fence sits around the pitch as you can see and there is plenty of room to watch from inside the fence area...chairman you may hate everything about the place but im sure you get a very warm welcome at the borough :D :D

As previously posted on another thread, CCFA Rules for the Senior Cup state that teams competing at Step 4 and above are exempt from entering the competition. However it also states that the first teams of all Senior Clubs affiliated to the CCFA must enter the competition! If both parts of the Rules are followed, neither Truro 1sts or Reserves would be eligible, but as the bit relating to Step 4 and above is a new addition to the Rules, I would assume it's Truro Reserves that are in the Senior Cup.

dont know how many more times i can explain...the fence sits around the pitch as you can see and there is plenty of room to watch from inside the fence area...chairman you may hate everything about the place but im sure you get a very warm welcome at the borough

As previously stated, I have nothing but admiration for the ambition of St Stephen Borough or any other Club attempting to improve themeselves. I do have a serious problem with this facility and believe it should not have been accepted by the CCFA who I am told instructed the League Management to allow it.

It is NOT the way forward in my belief.

Can I just point out that the photo so lovingly placed on this site by chairman shows the exterior fencing.

If you took a similar picture of Kimberley Stadium for example what you would see is the external walls.

What the photo doesnt show is the internal temporary pitch fencing we put up on matchday to allow spectators to watch from INSIDE the external fencing.

Trust that makes it clear.

Borough Sec, please understand I have absolutely nothing personally against yourself, your club, your supporters or your ambitions as a club and fully aknowledge and respect the success and rise of St Stephens Borough.

BUT, I simply cannot agree with any person who claims that ANY 3G pitch is suitable for competitive football to be played on at a senior level. By competitive football, I mean 2 teams of players being able to play the game at its full potential in all the technical aspects of the game as it is played on a natural grass surface in an official competitive match in which the result affects a league standing or advancement to the next round of a cup.

In my opinion it is a fantastic facility for training, coaching or 5aside tournaments but you wouldnt find a professional club , or for example, a club such as Truro City with their hopes and intentions training on a 3G pitch 2,3,4 or 5 times a week as it would not benefit them when they return to grass on a Saturday afternoon!

Thats why I think a team who play 40 competitive games a season on a natural grass surface simply MUST be at a disadvantage when they arrive to play on a 3G pitch for that one and only competitive away match of the season- and visa versa!!

For these reasons I have to agree with the Chairman that these pitches are not the way forward for competitive football to be played on.

To quote a previous post by a St Blazey supporter

"We can't have too many complaints about the artificial pitch, as the FA do allow them. Last season, on the road with Bradford (Park Avenue), I visited Woodley Sports (Stockport) who also play on an artificial pitch. They play in the Unibond League, two levels about St Blazey and five above St Stephens Borough."

This type of pitch is therefore used at a higher level that either of the two clubs involved play at.

Surely this ends the arguements over the validity of the pitch?

Excellent points put by lafs. When I was in manchester I went along to watch Hyde and that was shocking and very dangerous. Thankfully they dug it up. I think that clubs may follow the example of the Russians after they drew with England. THEY DUG IT UP

It is a sad reflection when the numpties at CCFA HQ couldn't make up their own minds. Every player in my opinion shoud dress up like an ice hockey player (WITHOUT THE PADS) so that they do not pick up any serious burn injuries which could affect their careers both on and off the pitch. I also feel it is very dangerous for goalkeepers who sometimes come crashing down to earth, sorry synthetic covered concrete after making a save at full stretch.

Get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest st george9

ecpl what a typical ignorant comment ."shocking and dangerous"?? i have not seen one injury due to the pitch this season, but seen plenty on grass...

"I also feel it is very dangerous for goalkeepers who sometimes come crashing down to earth " so you mean on a rock hard pitch in the summer keepers dont dive??

and your best "synthetic covered concrete ." have you been on it? it nothing like it

:SM_carton:

stig has post the most sensible comment ecpl should take note

Guest Man on the Post

Players often have to adapt to pitches that are rock hard, soaking wet, frosty, sloping etc. They also have to adapt to playing in searing heat, driving rain, howling gales, sleet etc. A lot of players also play 5-a-side and train on artificial surfaces. The 3G pitch should be no problem to players who have belief in their own ablility. :D

If you can control and pass the ball better than the other team, you will create more chances, if you take more chances than the opposition, you will win.

However, "if you can't keep a balloon up in a phone box, you've had it!"

(Credit for the quote to TB of the Clarets)

Just read this comment on a thread re the Parkway v Dartmouth match:

"Thought it looked quite difficult as pitch was skiddy and bumpy. both teams failed to keep hold of ball at times and many heavy touches by a lot of players. Cant be that many poor players on show. conditions played its part. "

Certainly the work bumpy is one that can never be applied to Saltmill.

Whilst everyone will have there own views on an artificial surface what surely no-one can disagree with is that it is a surface that will allow teams to play good football whatever the time of year or the weather conditions.

Guest Alex Haste

As Site Manager of the Saltmill Pitch i would like to clear up with you that this 3G All weather pitch has been laid on sand and shingle, no 3G pitch is laid onto concrete as this would not allow it to be a ALL WEATHER pitch but more of a river. Goalkeepers are trained to dive and surely know how to land safely.

With reference to Spectating, the pitch has a big enough run off to provide a barrier to be created for crowds. Surely this is a good thing as crowds are always looking to get as close as possible.

also referencing professional use, this Pitch was development in link with PAFC, who do train on this when their training facility is wet. There have been 30 of these sites developed linking them with Premiership Football clubs like Manchester Utd who i believe also train on these facilities when needed. I wouldlike to mention that i had Preston North End 1st team ringing me up last tuesday monring prior to their Match against PAFC, they needed somewhere to train and their first choice after the weather that was Monday night was here.

At the end of a day it is a truly great facility, with boasts flat playing surfaces and a all year playing surface, Football is football and lets just let our feet do the talking. As i have previously stated if your are a keen footballer this pitch will truly bring the best out of you.

Well Alex, you have a vested interest in promoting the facility I believe.Having spoken to several qualified Coaches,including one involved at CCFA and one with Argyle,I remain to be convinced that senior competitive should be allowed on such a pitch. In addition,what state would Cornish football be in if those facilities became the norm?

Senior Cup now being played on such is a travesty and those involved should be ashamed to allow it.

Guest Alex Haste

Since opening in December my only goal has been to provide a great service and facility for those needing it and this will continue to be my goal. It has never been an intention of mine to gain interest or promote this Pitch via such a stale discussion.

I think that we should all just move on and accept that a decision has been made whether for better or worse, And also understand that everyone is entitled to their view. Come on lets just play the beautiful game of Football for what it is on field and not what it is off.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to hosting you in December

Arguably the best pitch in Cornwall is Penryn, The surface on this artificial pitch is arguably going to be better. I found when players came to Penryn they had an air of excitemnt about them for playing on such a good pitch. I think you would have a similar reaction on this pitch, footballers would rise to the challenge and enjoy it. Look at some pitches in senior football like Perranwell and I think there are alot bigger disadvantages to the travelling side. I would welcome a game on here for the novelty value and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' .

Arguably the best pitch in Cornwall is Penryn, The surface on this artificial pitch is arguably going to be better. I found when players came to Penryn they had an air of excitemnt about them for playing on such a good pitch. I think you would have a similar reaction on this pitch, footballers would rise to the challenge and enjoy it. Look at some pitches in senior football like Perranwell and I think there are alot bigger disadvantages to the travelling side. I would welcome a game on here for the novelty value and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' .

plus you dont tackle james,so no burns on you mate :clapper: