Cornwall Football Forum

CornishTeddyBoy (CTB) and I have been wondering when a goal should be given as an own goal and when it should be credited to the player striking the ball. In our game today our midfielder hit a fairly tame shot at goal and it would have possibly have been saved by the goalkeeper but we will never know.

A defender intervened and the ball ended in the back of the net. Own goal or credit it to our player?

There are the genuine own goals like Lee Dixon's lob and poor old Chris Brass breaking his own nose :( . When should a goal be credited to the attacking player striking the ball?

I'd agree with that and I think Grant fully deserves his goal. Try telling Malouda that he his hat-trick was in fact only two and he has to give the match ball back!

Now if I had been on the end of it I would have claimed the goal, so is this just a case of giving the benefit of the doubt to the striker rather than focus on the poor old defender?!

What about when the ball is going wide of the goal when it is struck? Would you credit the striker?

...how about a tame goalbound shot that the keeper has covered?

I think this is where you'll find it starts to get fuzzy - particularly in local football!

Personally, I think that if the deflection alters the course of the ball sufficiently to affect how the 'keeper would deal with the goal attempt, it should go down as an own goal, but I know that when it comes to the goal being put on a team sheet, nine times out of ten it will go down to the attacking player.

In the game yesturday St Austell V Buckfastleigh the St Austell striker hit a shot which hit the post then came back and hit the keeper on the head and went in but i see it has been credited to the striker.

This surley is classed as an own goal (not that i would take it away from the striker whom hit the shot) he needs all the goals he can get !!!!! :D :D

Guest Cornishdave1980

If the orginal shot was on target, irrespective of how hard the shot was hit, and it took a deflection which changed the path of the ball the goal would be awarded to the player who took the shot.

If like previously stated in other posts the ball rebounded off the post(not on target) and strikes the keeper and goes in its is surely awarded as a own goal.

Who awarded this goal to the St Austall Striker?

Guest Cornishdave1980

In my opinion: It should be the last person who the ball touches, striker or defender. If a player is shooting for goal and the ball hits his own player, he always claims the goal, therefore it should be the last player to touch the ball before it crosses the goal line.

Who gets it if it hits the ref last?

Dubious Goals panel would have a field day!

Does anyone know who credits dubious goals in non league? or is it loudest gets it like the St A striker recieving the goal off the keeper yesterday?

I think you are right - most players will claim the goal regardless of the circumstances unless a defender hits the ball into his own net or the ball rebounds in after hitting the woodwork (well, in most cases outside of St Austell!).

It seems that most clubs are happier to credit the striker rather than prolong the embarrassment of the unfortunate own goal scorer. From what I recall Dom Pullen passed fifty last year by claiming anything that went within a three mile radius of him before hitting the back of the net! :P

PS. Who is going to ask Malouda for the match ball back?! :mellow:

So most of us agree.

a) It is not an own goal when the ball is travelling towards goal and is only slightly deflected into the net as it would have gone in anyway.

B) It is an own goal if it is heading towards goal and is deflected, but the deflection is so large the keeper is totally wrong footed.

c) It is an own goal if the ball is not heading directly towards goal but is deflected in from say a corner, crossed ball from the goaline, etc.

d) It is an own goal when a corner comes over and the goalie leaps, gets a slight touch and the ball goes in.

Do you agree. Yes or No

Guest Cornishdave1980

) Correct

B) I'd agree it would be an own goal, however there is no official statement regarding answer to that question(i remember Peter Crouches first Liverpool goal!!! massive deflection)

c) Correct

d) Correct

I would like to know though who determines who receives dubious goals, I’m sure strikers vying for the golden boot wouldn't be to impressed if they lost out to another striker who receives every goal that is scored in their near vicinity!

It's probably an own goal if a defender volleys a cross into the top corner of his own goal. And, it's probably worth claiming.

Any defender who doesn't put one in every so often is probably not getting there where it hurts.

I once donated a fine trophy to the now defunct Barripper club for the best own goal in the season. Criteria - under no pressure, gave the keeper no chance, spectacular, crucial to the result etc.

The buggers awarded it me for the next 4 seasons.

What gets me about it is if deflects off the opponent, the striker of the ball claims it as a goal, yet if striker hits the ball, and again it deflects of the defender etc, it's claimed as a corner/throw in, so it seems it's one rule for a goal, and another for a set-piece.