Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Combination League

18th October 2008

Penzance Reserves 3-3 Hayle Reserves

Penzance must have had a rocket in the changing room at half-time as they went in 2-0 down to Hayle but within twelve minutes of the restart were leading 3-2. They couldn’t hold onto to the lead though and had to share the spoils.

Penzance dominated the first twenty minutes of the match but when the strikers were free on goal they decided to shoot on sight instead of getting in closer. In fact they had several good chances to go in front but wasted them.

James Street had an early chance for Penzance when a Penzance corner is flicked in, headed on by Liam Devine and Street headed just wide at the back post. A few moments later he is called into action at the other end heading out a cross goal ball.

Penzance then try to claim a penalty as former Mousehole player Gary Matthews, who has rejoined Penzance went down under pressure in the box. In fact Matthews was a thorn in Hayle’s side all match.

On the half-hour Penzance break down their right, cross into the box, lay the ball off to Bradley Wills who fires just wide of the post.

Then against the run of play Hayle take the lead when they get a free kick near the halfway line. They put in a cross pitch ball to the left and Wayne Ruffenack slips behind the defenders to fire in a volley from 6yds. 0-1, 38mins.

Four minutes later they double their lead when a through ball finds Chris Bullock who then weaves into the box beating three players, lays off to Simon Bevis who shoots cross goal into the next from 6yds out. 0-2, 42mins.

The second half starts with Penzance trying to get the referee, who had a very good game, to blow for a penalty as Ross Badcock goes down under a challenge from the keeper. The ref waves away the protests.

Penzance pull a goal back when Gary Matthews runs the ball down the right, sidesteps into the box, puts over a low cross which hits Chris Thomas on the leg and the ball rolls past the diving keeper at the near post. 1-2, 51mins.

Hayle break and the Penzance keeper has to fingertip a rising shot over the bar for a corner.

Penzance press forward looking for the equaliser and they get it when they break down the right, fire over a cross pitch ball for Ross Badcock to run onto. The keeper comes out but a low shot from 10yds out beats him. 2-2, 56mins.

Hayle kick-off but immediately lose the ball. Penzance pump it forward to Badcock, who fires low at the keeper who saves, the rebound coming out to Badcock again to shoot, which is once again saved, but this time the ball squirts out to Bradley Wills who fires low into an empty net to put the Magpies in front. 3-2, 57mins.

For the next few minutes Hayle batten down the hatches as Penzance come at them. A free kick flicks off the outside of the upright, another free kick goes just over. Ian Phillips gets into the box but the ball is flicked off his toe as he was lining one up.

Then against the run of play Hayle break forward, fire a cross pitch ball from the right and Chris Goodall fires a rising volley past the keeper from 10yds out to put the visitors on equal terms.

Both teams go forward looking for the winner with Penzance having a couple of chances from corners and Hayle a speculative long range shot. The ref calls a halt to proceedings after 90+3mins.

Penzance Man of the Match – Gary Matthews, tormented the Hayle defence all day with his runs and crossing.

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Mark Grenfell, James Street, Bradley Wills, Danny Magee, Tom Widdecombe, Gary Matthews, Tom Hosking, Liam Devine, Ross Badcock, Ian Phillips

Subs – Sam Long (Phillips 67), Darren Holsey (Grenfell 83), Wayne Edwards (Wills 83), Charlie Penny

Corner Count Penzance 8-5 Hayle (3-3 1st half)

Crowd 58 with a few from Hayle

A little bit bias towards pz ctb,15 paragraphs writen of which pz are highlighted 10 times v hayles 4 and those 4 include 2 " against the run of play" :wacko: in my unbiased opinion i thought hayle deserved their share of the points and after leading by 2 goals at ht felt more aggreived than pz at the final whistle.

Good performances from hayle youngsters shorthouse,burlingham,scorer chris goodall(not gendall} and bullock who looked impressive every time hayle went forward(or broke...against the run of play] :rolleyes: :

Keep up the good work ctb we still luv you.....and great from a neutral point of view to see so many potentially good youngsters coming thru for both teams. :c:

big thanx handsome dan think i have figured out who u are. ( head down ). I agree though the pz youngsters had a great game and i hope pz keephold of them cos they will be a quality in years to come. However back to Hayle we also had 6 players under the age of 21 and we hope to keep hold of all of them as well. Agree that the lanky Gary Matthews had a good game poss man of the match but also thought there were also alot of others that played well i.e. chris bullock, chris goodall. adam northall for hayle. For pz danny maggee, bradley wills and i think his nickname was peanut a credit to pz. Hopefully a good future for both clubs. Good luck to pz for the season until they play hayle again. As for the game personally i thought it was a good advert for combo football 2 teams lookin for the win and tryin to play football a lot of chances for both sides and a draw was the best out come on balance. Giving praze to both sides for lookin for the win.

Hayle had 8 chances or half-chances

Penzance had 14 chances or half-chances.

Corner count 8-5 to Pz but mind you that's better than Falmouth at Pz last Tuesday night, they couldn't manage any.

No bias just stating facts. Can't write about all of them as they aren't novels!

Why don't you Hayle supporters write and post your own reports for us to read each week? All you need is a pen and notebook.

CTB

Why the aggro Teddy boy if u read think u will find that there is praze for both sides as it was a good game of football and ur stats seem to show it was a close and pretty fair result. What pen and notebook do u use to put ur report on the net clever that. :clapper::clapper: :clapper:

Guest Nature Boy

haha, easy fellas, to be honest it was a good game all though hayle were 2-0 up at half time and PZ didnt play well, PZ had a lot more chgances on goal, hayle did play well though, in the 2nd half PZ deserved all 3 points because of their performance.

ctb and nature boy,pz may have had more chances 14-8(better than 10-4)apology accepted ctb. but i,m sure young patch8 will agree with me that except for the first 15 mins of 2nd half hayle were comfortable for the rest of the game and the first 2 pz goals would never have gone in if they had,nt made contact with hayle players where as all hayles goals flew in so perhaps 5-1 would have been a fairer result???

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: :angry2: