Illogan RBL 1 St Ives Town 0

Morwenstow 2 Perranporth 3 (aet)

Perranwell 5 Holmans SC 0

Probus 5 Ludgvan 0

Roche 0 Helston Athletic 1

St Agnes 2 St Dominick 3

St Stephens Borough 3 Portreath 2

Sticker 4 St Stephen 1

Dave, Not a surprise as Sticker played St Stephen off the park with some very inventive football and also competed well with the robust opposition and didn't allow themselves to be intimidated. They are a young side with some experienced players too and it is a learning curve. There is a full report on the Sticker AFC website.

"A thoroughly well deserved victory against an uncompromising side with the team gaining confidence with each game. The defence is looking very strong with Paul Crocker the boss, ably assisted by Neal Trudgeon, Phil Dingle, Kieren Connibear and Jack Walker, Jack also links up well with young Ollie Gibson who is starting to cause opposition defences all sorts of problems with his pace and trickery. Some of the interplay and passing at times were top drawer and it was nice to see some of the hard work on the training ground come to fruition.

Managers Phil and Kelvin were very pleased with the teams attitude and performance."

It's good to see Mr Hunkin back involved in the game. :D

Parkway 2-1 Callington

We gave Parkway a game today, having been reduced to 10 men and played 60mins with 10 men, we came away disappointed without picking up a well deserved point.

Having put us back in the game with 10 mins left we had we had 3 great efforts saved to stop us getting a point.

Good game though, and a nice pitch.

Its good to be back Dave,particularly working with phil who has assembled a squad of youngsters with a few older heads who are all keen to learn and take on board what you work on at training.The season actually hasnt been too bad with only one defeat(avenged yesterday) and the two draws in the league both down to us conceding in time added on. We are trying to improve and bring a liittle success to Stickers small but loyal following.Undoubtedly we will have several ups and downs,there always are as youngsters learn about Senior football Hopefully you may find a spare saturday and come and watch us,we do try and play entertaining stuff and the welcome from the committee is always worth the journey.

Best wishes, the coverage on the Radio is really missed when travelling home after a match.

I think even Wadebridge would have to admit 'daylight robbery' yesterday :(

In a game that was so one sided....We hit the bar twice, had three cleared off the line and saw their GK make a string of saves, plus we were guilty of wasting five or six other golden chances....We again learnt a major lesson at this level, which is if you don't take your chances you are always liable to a sucker punch at the other end. :angry2:

We played some great stuff yesterday and created enough chances to have won 10 matches comfortably, yet come away with no goals and no points....Again!!

To be fair Wadebridge were lively on the break and defended doggedly when they had to, they also had a french lad up front who was a handful for my CD's and their No. 7 was very useful in CM, but on more than one occasion their goal line clearances were a case of more luck than judgement, but hey, that's football and it's on to Launceston (who did the same thing to us at our place), in the knowledge that when the chances start going in, we're gonna hammer someone....(when do we play padstow??? :D )

One thing I will say though ( and probably get myself in trouble because of it), was the quality of refereeing yesterday.

I won't use it as an excuse for getting beat, cause after all, the man in black didn't miss all those chances or switch of defensively for the wadebridge goal, but unfortunately the poor guy was totally inept and in my opinion, completely out of his depth at this level.

In a game that had 'one' bad foul in it, I had SEVEN players booked!!! :angry2::angry2:

One for saying 'I won the ball ref' and another for asking 'How is that a foul ref'

I'm all for the FA's new 'Respect' initiative and realise that with a shortage of officials nationally we are lucky to get a ref each week, but win, lose or draw, it is so frustratig when you manage a team that plays in a decent standard of football and yet the man in black is no where near the standard required to referee senior football at the same level.

I would have been embarassed to have had him refereeing at youth level, let alone one league below SWPL.

He refereed the game like a primary school headmaster and had no concept of robust nature of senior men's football.

If my players were blatently showing disrespect or dissent then I would have no complaints and they would be read the riout act in no uncertain terms, but when they make a strong challenge for the ball or use their strengthto out muscle an opponent , get penalised and then yellow carded for appealing against the decision (without 'cursing' the referee), it just adds to the frustration for all concerned.

Like I say, apart from one justified yellow for the only bad foul in the game, I reckon, 75% of referee's in this league wouldn't even have blown up for the free kicks and 95% wouldn't have subsequntly shown yellow cards.

Every player, manager, etc in senior football, I'm sure plays to win, but for whatever reason, losing games is all part and parcel of football life and during the course of the season you learn to accept and take the rough with the smooth, winning games you should have lost and vice versa.

I don't like losing but can still enjoy my teams performance, accept things gracefully when we have been outplayed and lost or have teams come and do a job on us like St Stephens did at our place last season.

I can even accept things when we outplay a team and lose like we did yesterday, cause We've nicked games we should have lost in the past.

But I find it difficult to just stand by and accept such ineptitiude from officials as was shown yesterday, for if I am to just let it spoil my enjoyment and accept it, or run the risk of being penalised for my views on such a peformance, then I may just as well pack it all in now.

RANT OVER.

p.s. Well Done to the Wadebridge players and officials (decent bunch of lads)....you may have took the money and run, but fair play to you and looking forward to coming to your place later in the season.

having seen the game at lanreath a few weeks back, it's no suprise at the amount of bookings bere pick up. A fully committed good team you are, but don't pretend your players are all angels. It's lucky the p1ssed up morons you have on the side lines can'r play.

I must agree that the Ref yesterday didn't have one of his better days and agree that some of the decisions were a bit strange. But once the first yellow card for dissent was shown, your lads should have learned! It was quite apperent that any questioning of decisions was going to end that way. And the final yellow card for the horrific challenge on French Tom should probably have been red! Even your supporters were upset by the challenge. Happily, only severe bruising seems to have been the result.

On your appraisel of the game, I would agree we were lucky to take all three points yesterday, but I don't think it was quite as one sided as you reported, especially the first half, where we made the better chances. The second half saw Bere dominate for the fist 20 minutes and put our goal under a lot of pressure, and indeed we rode our luck. Following the goal, we had a good spell for ten minutes or so, before you came storming back at us, but we always looked like we could nick one on the break and nearly did when Ben Beesley (No 7) went close. What you may also like to consider, is that we travelled with only 12 players (one of those days for player shortages) including a 16yr old a 17yr old playing his first men's game, our keeper was a midfielder and we hadn't played for three weeks! The game plan was to get men behind the ball and frustrate, and it worked to a great extent, and we were lucky enough to take the all three points!

Thanks for your hospitality yesterday, sorry we had to shoot straight back. We look forward to seeing you at Bodieve later in the Season.

Parkway 2-1 Callington

We gave Parkway a game today, having been reduced to 10 men and played 60mins with 10 men, we came away disappointed without picking up a well deserved point.

Having put us back in the game with 10 mins left we had we had 3 great efforts saved to stop us getting a point.

Good game though, and a nice pitch.

I would second those comments. i thought that callinton were a very good side and played attractive football. I would say that it as not one of our (parkway) better days but we were delighted to grind out a result. I think that you were unlucky not to pick up a point and i know i certainaly had a squeeky bum for the last 10 mins!

As for the pitch, yeah it was in good condition yesterday but we usually play our home games at millbay park which is even bigger - honestly!

well done to callinton again. looking forward to the return match hopefully i wont be kept as busy in that fixture.

:smiley20:

Hi Thommo,

I may have been a bit OTT on the one sided nature of yesterday's game as the first half was pretty even and your french lad had the best chances, although we squandered several decent chances leading up to half time.

Your No. 7 Ben Beesley, as I said, was very good and addmittedly you were a litle short on back up from the subs bench...thought your two FB's also did well...Your game plan to soak up presure and catch us on the break at the end of the day worked a treat and like I said, we'll have to take that on board and learn as we go, although we did have enough chances to have won comfortably.

The chances you had on the break after your goal, particularly the one Ben Beesley put into the side netting, came largely due to fact that I went with three at the back for the last 10 - 15 minutes and piled everyone forward for corners and free kicks and it was from one such corner that you countered on us with a 2v1 situation and Ben really should have scored.

The one bad tackle in the game happened on the far side from where I was stood and therefore I couldn't see the full extent of the challenge, suffice to say it was clearly a yellow if not worthy of a straight red, but knowing my player, know it was made more in frustraton rather than any malice toward the Wadebridge player and thankfully he was not badly injured.

However it only emphasises my point that in the one instance where the referee should have made a strong decision he failed to do so.

With regard to the issue of dissent, yesterday was the referee taking it to the extreme.

If a player or team are constantly on at the ref, arguing every decision or in any particular instance swearing or directing there abuse or vehemently questioning the ref about a decision...that is clearly dissent which warrents a yellow card and cannot be excused and players rightly have to learn a lesson and move on.

But how can I judge my players for showing their exasperation and frustration when the referee is giving free kicks, etc for what appear to everyone except him as hard, but fair challenges and I am getting just as frustrated with him from the sidelines...It is human nature for players to show their frustration or question a decsion if they feel they have been penalised unfairly and like I have already said in yesterday's case my players were not abusive towards the referee.

We can all make mistakes, but if you went to a restaurant and paid good money for a table, only for the waiter to give generally poor service, bring you the wrong order, which turned out to be raw, failed to take responsibility for their errors and you ended up with food poisoning...Would you want to pay or would you complain? you can bet your life, you wouldn't just take it on the chin and certainly wouldn't go there again.

With regard to RAWA's comments about the game at Lanreath, I would totally agree that my players are no angels and can handle themselves at this level, but let's not forget, that were it not for the intervention of two of my players in pleading to the referee the Lanreath CD would have seen red just before the final whistle and as for our so called drunken supporters, the THREE lads in questioned may have been a bit loud and annoying to the ear, but when asked to stand behind the perimeter fence they did so and in truth did not cause any trouble but were guilty of over indulgence on a sunny cornish afternoon.

At no time, did anyone from Lanreath say they could not bring alcohol into the ground or ask them to leave and the only complaint was made after the game when Lanreath had lost...Maybe a case of sour grapes??

I can sympathise with your players frustration CoachKT, but once the Ref dished the first card or maybe the second, that should have been the signal to walk away. We had some frustrating decisions go against us as well, but the Wadebridge lads (again, not all angels!) could see where the ref was coming from and kept a lid on it.

Speaking of your supporters, the folks over by us yesterday were nothing but polite and friendly and we had a great bit of banter with them!

Cheers, Thommo

also st stephens borough who came back from 2 nil down to beat Portreath 3 2

goals from dave wilkinson 2 and stuart fort

Yes we well & truly threw this one away. Borough started the game very well & had a host of chances early on but as the first half progressed we grew in confidence & started to settle down. Borough knocked the ball around well but couldn't get through a stubborn defence & started shooting from distance. Portreath took the lead when a well delivered dead ball was slipped through the left channel inside the box which found Britton who half vollied into the net via a slight deflection approx 35mins. Chances fell to both teams just before HT but we went in 0-1.

The second half started a bit like the first but again we scored a 2nd,again a left footed half volley by Britton just inside the 18yd box 55mins. Then it all turned to shit....Borough pulled one back a couple of minutes later & then scored 2 more within about 5 minutes..all 3 goals were scrambles and would take ages to describe. I couldn't beleive it, heads dropped & Borough took control & the closest we came was a great header by Blaber which beat the keeper but went inches past the post.

Good luck in the next round fellas.............. :thumbsup:

Coachkt, Having watch bere many times this season aswll as any other games in the ecpl and div1 i have to say bere are proably one of the most physical teams in the league sometimes too physical but having said that there is a massive problem that i have observed with consistancy. in the both leagues you have many great refs who will earn thier respect almost immediatly by coming into the changing rooms before kick off and speaking to the players. there are, unfortunatly, who think that just because they wear black they deserve respect. Thankfully they are few and far between. keep up the good work and good luck for the season. many thanks. :thumbsup: :c:

Kamali, since when has it been necessary for a referee to go into the players changing rooms to gain respect, I have never entered the changing rooms to speak to players and never will for several reasons which I will not go into here. Also if I am watching a new referee I will always advise against it but it obviously is a referee`s choice as to whether he does it or not.

why would you dicourage a referee from talking to the teams in the changing room before a game? :wacko:

surely this can only be a good thing as the ref has shown strength already and lays down the law the lads have no excuses then!!

on the other hand you get a ref that turns up late and goes straight to the pitch without introducing himself and the next minute shouting at a player for apealing something,where is the respect in that?

COMMON COURTESY!!!

This is my own opinion i find the refs that put there mark down in the changing room prior to a game are the most consistant and respected ref :clapper::clapper: s

Dressing rooms should be sacred to the respective team. No referee should be able to enter these rooms. What gives them the right to do so??? From my experience, the refs who try to come in and talk to the players in the dressing rooms and tell them "how they will ref the game" are usually the worst. Totally go against what they said prior to the game. Whatever next? Managers going into the refs room to tell them what they are doing at set pieces????

I completely agree with you jannerlad, the last thing a team need just before kickoff is the referee in their changing room stating things which they should already be aware of, for a start they should be focused on the game and will probably not listen anyhow. As to the other point where a referee states his intentions and then in a very short time does not carryout what he said in the changing room makes a mockery of his speech to the players, I have seen this done as a player myself and it just opens the referee up to ridicule.

I would encourage it! When i used toplay the very last thing the ref would say was have a good game and enjoy it. which is the most important part Gats is right the players give more respect to a ref who talks to the players before a game rather than those who automatically think they have respect because they wear black. There is one ref in particular although i don't know his name but he always speaks to players and allows the players to enjoy the game he stamps out any nonsense in the first ten min. Not with cards but with a stiff but far talking to. The players respond superbly. The game is then played with a mutual respect for all. Those are the best games. I appreciate your opinion Manning but disagree with it. Have you ever been a player? The best refs are ex players who know the game from both sides. :c:

Sorry to disappoint you kamali but yes I have been a player and played at senior level ( supply league) and i have to disagree with your comment that the best ref`s are ex players, I have known ex players who took up refereeing and made a complete hash of it and on the other foot ref`s who had very little if any playing experience but made good referee`s, so there is no hard and fast rule as to who would make a good referee which also applies to referee`s who visit the players changing room to give the players a talk before the game, it makes no difference at all to the referee`s ability on the field of play. So as I said in my previous post I do not go into the changing rooms before the game never have done and never will and if asked for my advice by another official I would advise against it.

Guest ECPL Supporter

How does going into the changing room make you a better ref? As B Manning said, players should know what to expect. The best refs in my opinion are the one's you don't notice