Cornwall Football Forum

Wadebridge Town v Newton Abbot

Guest Peppermint

Guest Peppermint

Today's game called off at Bodieve Park - due to the visitors not being able to fulfil the fixture. This seems very serious for the Devon side.

I was supposed to be reporting for the radio there but the Wadebridge Secretary has just informed me of the decision.

Guest Sport Lover

Players should play with or without expenses, if they 'love' the club they play for they would, espcially if the club is going through hard times. How niave am I?

Guest crosser

taken from the SWPL Site

Saturday 11th October

Official League Statement issued at 19.00 hours by the Secretary on behalf of the board.

The league were informed at 12.45hrs today, via third parties that Newton Abbot AFC, would not be fulfilling todays fixture away at Wadebridge Town. Having established that this information was unfortunatly correct we have liaised with the host club to ensure that matters are dealt with in a professional manner.

The board have instructed the Secretary to issue the prescribed punishment in full and once these charges have been issued to the club a further statement will be made regarding the match in question. The next statement is likely to be issued on Wednesday morning. (15th October)

Guest Peppermint

A statement of fact for ECPL - if Bodmin Town played all their games in hand they would at the top of the table by a distance!!!!! The last time I looked at a map Bodmin was situated in Cornwall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100% Paul - and this just goes to prove what many of us have said in the past on this web site that there are a lot of players who are NOT playing for the love of the clubs or the game for that matter as there is simply no excuse for causing your club to not fulfill its fixtures although the club certainly must shoulder some of the blame if they have made commitments to the players.

It certainly was very inconvenient and not very professional of Newton Abbot to not inform us sooner, however, as I said on the radio, I'm sure Newton Abbott will have the decency to offer us an apology and they will have people within their club who are upset and embarrassed by these events. It's easy to be critical without knowing the full facts.

On the other point I was lucky enough to play a few end of season games for Bugle when I was just a boy, in their last season of the old SWL and nobody got paid for the last 10 games or so and I remember some notable victories seeing us into 3rd place!

I have always remembered this and if you speak to any of my players, all of them will tell you how little I pay them but how much they love playing for Wadebridge! It's all about being part of something positive and ambitious, getting looked after and treated well is not always about money when you want to enjoy your hobby and there are other clubs who can say the same, Launceston, Torpoint etc.

Ambition is not just about one rich benefactor, ambition is a lot more than that especially when it comes to sustainability.

A statement of fact for ECPL - if Bodmin Town played all their games in hand they would at the top of the table by a distance!!!!! The last time I looked at a map Bodmin was situated in Cornwall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think your IF should be in Capital letters: Games in hand does not mean that they are going to win every game, bet they would prefer the points in the bag, think your jumping the gun slightly!

But your right on one thing............. Bodmin is in Cornwall.

Guest crosser

taken from the cswpl site

Wednesday 15th October :

Official Statement issued by the Secretary on behalf of the league :

The officers of the South West Peninsula League Ltd have enforced league rule 8.6 with regard to the failure of Newton Abbot AFC to fulfill their obligation to play the away Premier fixture at Wadebridge Town on Saturday 11th October. This means that Newton Abbot have been fined in accordance with league rule 8.6, deducted 3 points from their playing record and the match awarded to the non-offending club, Wadebridge Town. The league is not permitted to award goals so the result is listed as 0-0, but the two clubs points have been adjusted so that Wadebridge now have 3 more points and Newton Abbot 3 less points. In addition Newton Abbot will be required to pay Wadebridge Towns reasonable out of pocket expenses.

Further we wish to place on record that Newton Abbot are at this time members of the South West Peninsula League Ltd, they have not withdrawn or asked to resign.

The league are aware of attempts by persons unnamed to keep the club alive and have offered to meet with them and assist them in anyway possible. Newton Abbot have no fixture scheduled until Wednesday 22nd October and therefore it is prudent to allow those trying to save the club to have that period of time to put together any rescue package.

Unless events dictate otherwise, it is not the leagues intention to issue any further statement until Tuesday 21st October.

REVISED CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE TABLE

.... after the deduction of three points from Newton Abbot and the addition of three points for Wadebridge Town

1 Buckland 11 7 3 1 34 18 16 24

2 Ivybridge 11 7 2 2 33 18 15 23

3 Dartmouth 10 6 2 2 22 11 11 20

4 Launceston 10 6 1 3 25 23 2 19

5 Torpoint 13 6 1 6 24 30 -6 19

6 Parkway 11 5 3 3 30 15 15 18

7 Tavistock 8 6 0 2 12 11 1 18

8 Bodmin 7 5 1 1 18 4 14 16

9 Saltash 10 5 1 4 19 14 5 16

10 Clyst 9 4 2 3 24 20 4 14

11 Wadebridge 8 3 3 2 11 12 -1 14

12 St Blazey 9 4 1 4 17 18 -1 13

13 Newton Spurs 11 4 1 6 17 19 -2 13

14 Cullompton 6 3 0 3 13 8 5 9

15 Witheridge 9 1 3 5 8 13 -5 6

16 Liskeard 7 2 0 5 8 15 -7 6

17 Holsworthy 11 1 1 9 10 41 -31 4

18 Newton Abbot 8 2 1 5 10 19 -9 3

19 Elburton 8 1 0 7 8 21 -13 3

20 Falmouth 7 1 0 6 7 20 -13 3

Guest Peppermint

From Wadebridge Town's point of view it seems a shame that they get no goals awarded to boost their goal difference. If plaing a team like Newton Abbot from the basement of the table they would expect to score some goals - but I understand that it would be difficult to award goals such as assuming a 3-0 win.

Without risking the wrath of The Villains - Bodmin Town still looked the most likely potential champions but nice to see Launceston doing so well.

Before somebody says it is a long way to go before the season ends - I do know amd only making an observation.

I agree, Graham, the table looks a bit of a mess now, we've won 3 and drawn 3, but got 14 points. Even my bad maths can work out that's not right!

I think we should have been given a win in our record, even if no goals are allowed to be recorded, managers are judged on victories right?

Best wishes to NA, I have every sympathy with the situation you find yourselves in and I'm sure you have the commitment of the right people to get back on track.

Guest Peppermint

Look forward to visiting Bodieve Park tomorrow to do some radio reports so will catch up with you then Stuart. I was coming last week but unfortunately events happened and the game was off. I also wish Newton Abbot the very best of luck and hope that they can sort the situation out and continue playing in the league. No one wants to see any club in trouble.

HI PEPPERMINT, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT; THE RUMOUR MACHINE IS WORKING OVERTIME IN CONJUCTION WITH CHINESE WHISPERS LTD.

PM ME IF IT IS SENSITIVE, HOWEVER, ALL AND SUNDRY WOULD LIKE AN UPDATE (WHY DO THEY KEEP ASKING ME ?)

ONE RUMOUR IS THAT MR STEGGLES GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED THE POINTS AND SAID THAT IT WAS A HARD-EARNED VICTORY !!! ANY TRUTH IN THIS RUMOUR ?

Guest Peppermint

I was at Wadebridge Town yesterday and I don't think it was a question of accepting three points but unfortunately thst is how the league system is set up. It does seem unfair that 'The Bridgers' cannot boost their goal difference but just have three points.

It is not their fault that Newton Abbot are in the fix they are in and hopefully the Devon side can overcome the problems and continue in the league.

Bob Steggles is a friend of mine and he has the same warped sense of humour as mine and I think it was only his sense of humour that made that remark!

I will add that Wadebridge are a very well run Club and it is a pleasure to visit Bodieve Park and I am sure that the remark if made by Mr Steggles was a tongue in cheek remark!!!!

Guest Postie Pidge

REVISED CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE TABLE

.... after the deduction of three points from Newton Abbot and the addition of three points for Wadebridge Town

1 Buckland 11 7 3 1 34 18 16 24

2 Ivybridge 11 7 2 2 33 18 15 23

3 Dartmouth 10 6 2 2 22 11 11 20

4 Launceston 10 6 1 3 25 23 2 19

5 Torpoint 13 6 1 6 24 30 -6 19

6 Parkway 11 5 3 3 30 15 15 18

7 Tavistock 8 6 0 2 12 11 1 18

8 Bodmin 7 5 1 1 18 4 14 16

9 Saltash 10 5 1 4 19 14 5 16

10 Clyst 9 4 2 3 24 20 4 14

11 Wadebridge 8 3 3 2 11 12 -1 14

12 St Blazey 9 4 1 4 17 18 -1 13

13 Newton Spurs 11 4 1 6 17 19 -2 13

14 Cullompton 6 3 0 3 13 8 5 9

15 Witheridge 9 1 3 5 8 13 -5 6

16 Liskeard 7 2 0 5 8 15 -7 6

17 Holsworthy 11 1 1 9 10 41 -31 4

18 Newton Abbot 8 2 1 5 10 19 -9 3

19 Elburton 8 1 0 7 8 21 -13 3

20 Falmouth 7 1 0 6 7 20 -13 3

Shouldn't Newton Abbot have four points?

Initially you would think they should have four ..... but for some unknown reason, despite awarding the three points to Wadebridge, and taking three likewise off Newton Abbot, they had to put the result of the game that wasn't played down as a draw! So no point for the draw showing either! Personally I think they have made it very complicated to us simpletons!!! :blink:

When I received the e-mail originally with the revised league table, I posted it on here and then took it off again because I thought the same as you!