Cornwall Football Forum

Is duchy football a higher standard ?

Guest tafc.-gaffa

I believe the last Eastern section winners of the Junior Cup were Godolphin in 2005 (was it Perranporth they beat in the final?!!).

Portreath, Mawnan and St Day have won the last 3 for the Western Section but in the previous 12 seasons before that a side from the West only won the trophy on one occasion, here is a list of the last 15 winners of the cup:

1993/94 Biscovey

1994/95 Biscovey

1995/96 St Stephen

1996/97 St Stephen

1997/98 Morwenstow

1998/99 Boscastle

1999/2000 Mawnan

2000/01 Biscovey

2001/02 Morwenstow

2002/03 Morwenstow

2003/04 Morwenstow

2004/05 Godolphin

2005/06 St Day

2006/07 Mawnan Smith

2007/08 Portreath

Overall I believe there is very little in the standard of the top teams in the Duchy League, Falmouth Helston League and Mining League.

However I believe there is more strength in depth in the Duchy League as there are some superb sides even in the lower leagues and there are very few easy games in the Duchy Leagues. Having played against some Mining League and Falmouth-Helston sides in friendlies I would say that there are more weaker sides in the lower divisions. If you look at the results in the West of Cornwall there also appear to be more 11-0's etc, you get very few of these in the Duchy League.

Only way would i guess be a champions league style where the top three teams of fhl1 and duchy league play each other in a league and then final and the i guess you've got the argument that Mining teams to be included as Troon gotta be one of the fav's for the Junior Cup; Rep teams generally only ever come from a few teams so don't really work in my opionion??? but eh i could be wrong! :c:

True this debate could go on forever!

I've not come across many Duchy sides or Mining sides, but a pre season friendly against a good St Dennis side would put them up amongst the better Junior teams.

As for Falmouth-Helston, I know that Perranporth, St Day and Portreath have succesfully taken the leap over the past few seasons to Senior football.

What about sides from the East? I did hear Goldophin mentioned any others?

Guest tafc.-gaffa

Im not putting the west down i just believe the players that play duchy often come from good ecpl teams and south western clubs in their career so i believe the standard of footballer is higher the more east you go

True this debate could go on forever!

I've not come across many Duchy sides or Mining sides, but a pre season friendly against a good St Dennis side would put them up amongst the better Junior teams.

As for Falmouth-Helston, I know that Perranporth, St Day and Portreath have succesfully taken the leap over the past few seasons to Senior football.

What about sides from the East? I did hear Goldophin mentioned any others?

Several clubs in the past few seasons as far as I'm aware - in the last 10 years the following have moved from Junior to Senior status: Biscovey, Probus, St Stephen, Bere Alston, St Stephens Borough, St Dominick, Dobwalls, St Columb Major, Polperro, Godolphin, St Newlyn East (although since dropped out) - that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more!

Im not putting the west down i just believe the players that play duchy often come from good ecpl teams and south western clubs in their career so i believe the standard of footballer is higher the more east you go

So you don't think any of that happens in the west/!!! thats just stupid that happens in the whole bloody country!!!! look at Mawnan or Fal Ath a number of there players have dropped down....most teams have a few players at least that have senior football exp. jesus we played Frogpool last season and it was like playing a who's who of senior football from 5-10years previous!!!!as most people have agreed it really is the endless argument!! beyond playing a champions league format how would you judge it....also there is a few junior teams who are paying!!! a joke but yes its true ...so how do judge them...Troon for sure if the rumours are true are paying (i don't know if any in the East are) but they are trying to gurantee senior footy next season>>>>>>>it truley is a endless aegument...but to say only teams in the E have players coming down the league is stupid! :c:

this is a pointless argument really because everyone will stick up for their own league . the only time two teams play each other from the east and west is in the junior cup final so until there is a new competition thats all you can judge on. so until easter monday next year the mining league is the best as portreath are the holders. game over :D

I'm pleased this question has come up. I noticed there are very few, if any, pre-season friendlies between the east and west which is a shame. I've no idea which is the strongest but it isn't really important. What is important is the strength of football in the county as a whole.

Regarding Pablo's point, here at Grampound, on the border betwen east and west, we make a point of playing against teams from the west each year. Being a team in Duchy 2 (ie the third division) over the years we always seem to do pretty well against the western teams we play - this pre-season results are as below, but before anyone else says it, they were just friendlies!

Marazion (FH2) 0-1 Grampound

Grampound 1-0 Falmouth Town (FH1)

Grampound 2-0 Threemilestone (Mining1)

Our friendly results against eastern teams were :-

Grampound 2-3 Mevagissey (Duchy1)

Grampound 0-4 Foxhole (Duchy Premier)

Friendly results maynot tell you very much, but in my experience over the years I think that the quality of the best teams is about the same, but there seems to be a lot more depth of quality in the Duchy League.

Today - Grampound were awful and gifted Delabole 3 goals, losing 4-2 after dominating most of the game.