Cornwall Football Forum

refs please confirm ( and players take note)

direct free kicks- the law states when the ball is played DIRECTLY out of the perimeter of the playing field including going between the goal posts the next touch has to be from the opposition , so if its played forward and goes between the opposition goal posts a goal is given , over the dead ball line a goal kick is given, over the touch line a throw in is given , all letting the opposition have the next touch BUT if your center half has a direct free kick on the edge of your goal area and instead of playing it upfield turns and DIRECTLY playes it into his goal and over the perimeter of the playing field the correct decision is a corner to the opposition giving them the next touch - if you award a goal the opposition cant have the next touch because they cant restart the game with a kick off it goes the the side who have just conceded the goal, -- so even though its direct and he has played it directly in his own goal a corner to the oppsoition is the correct outcome !!!!!!!!!!! lets see a ref give this in a game and watch the players react , refs do a great job most of the time so lets give them some support its a hard job implementing the rules never mind understanding them at times metts

Correct Metts, A side having been awarded a free kick and then play the ball directly into their own goal the other side restart the game with a corner kick, the reason being that a free kick restores the advantage to the side offended against, if a goal is awarded then the advantage was not restored. This always has been the case as i can remember it on my referee`s instruction course over 30 years ago. Although it has never arisen on games that I have referee`d. I hope I have remembered that correctly from the dim distant past..

anita yes he might just turn around and play the ball back to his keeper unaware that the keeper is not looking and the ball goes directly into his own net a mistake yes but the restart is with a corner to the opposition , and dont worry i got it wrong in my exam as well lol i gave a goal , metts

Metts,

This happened to a mate of mine refereeing a junior game. He correctly gave a corner after the centre half passed a direct free-kick back to his goalkeeper without looking and found he was standing beside him and they both watched the ball roll into the net.

As you can imagine one team went ballistic. Fortunately it was 5 minutes before half time and he took some real stick going back to the changing rooms. When he got there he took out his Laws of the Game book, found the law and called in the manager to let him read it, then asked him to take it into the changing room to read it to his players.

The players could only apologise to him after the break, but at least he made his point.

I wonder what a premiership crowd might make of it if it happened, and more to the point, what would the commentators have to say?

hi tommy and thanks for your reply hope everything is good with you . the point im trying to make guys is the refs are there not for fun they are there to implement the laws of the game as they see it , i often wonder how they can tell intent when surly the only guy who knows he ment to do it is the player himself !!!!there are good and not so good refs as players, but in general i think the refs do a very hard job well, if a ref gives a bad call im sure its an honest bad call if that makes any sense, ask a ref in the correct manner about a call and im sure he will explain but give him grief and why should he explain him self ! and im not going all goodie goodie on the refs side but i think sometimes they are put in a no win position, im sure i was no angel ( and wait for the replys to that lol ) and i wont even hit on the offside and was he interfearing when the ball was played forward the guy in the middle makes one shout right or wrong , metts

this gets better so help me and yes iv passed my exam but is a goal kick indirect or direct now thats a question lol if a keeper takes the kick clears the area but the wind takes it back beond him and in the goal , i personaly would consult the linsperson and then tell the keeper the ball was not placed correctly lol and to retake a cop out i know only joking but what would a ref give or as a player what would you expect ?

metts

Guest Dermot

Metts you old Tart, its an under arm throw in from the half way line with your eyes shut and one foot off the ground, i take it you didnt go golf today then ? You must have had some spare time on your hands to make this posting ha haa! Oh, and your spelling is getting better. Arse!!!!! ;0) :D

Metts as I said the ball from a goal kick is in play the moment it leaves the penalty area, so if a strong wind blows it back into the goal and it had left the penalty area then it`s a goal. But I do like your approach to the scenario.

How could it be given as a goal though??

From Metts first post the opposition would need to touch the ball next, but wouldnt as keepers team would kick off.

This could happen - played in a couple of games (away to Stithians this year for one) where the wind was so strong the ball left the area then blown back in. In one game ball went for a corner a couple of times - could easily have gone in the goal. I presume the keeper wouldnt be allowed to touch the ball either.

Or have I just read it wrong?? :wacko:

What the hell are you lot on about?

Tell me where it says that the team that touched it last before scoring a goal is not allowed to take the kick off?

Ever heard of own goals?

Metts quote

hi tommy and thanks for your reply hope everything is good with you . the point im trying to make guys is the refs are there not for fun they are there to implement the laws of the game as they see it , i often wonder how they can tell intent when surly the only guy who knows he ment to do it is the player himself !!!!

Metts, apart from deliberate handball, intent does not come into the equation, this wording was taken out a long time ago, the only thing a referee has to be satisfied with, is, was a challenge careless, reckless or using exsesive force, end of.

Rule 16 on scoring from a goal kick below states

'A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team!'

So I guess it doesn't matter if the ball leaves the penalty area and goes back into the net...makes me realise I don't know the rules as much as I should because I had to look it up. Guess that's why I'm not a ref!

Jiggy