Cornwall Football Forum

Luke McCormick

Guest Peppermint

Quite agree Midfield - hopefully this odious person is never given the opportunity to play for a football club again but unfortunately some club will give him an opportunity. Look at the Barton scenario where he was given lots of so called last chances!

Guest Peppermint

Gillo10 - I am not comparing the two crimes but simply illustrating that if clubs like Newcastle United are desperate then they might offer McCormick a contract. Although Barton's crimes are lesser ones it does not excuse them and why should get away with one after another and be given lots of last chances.

For those without sin cast the first stone.

We've all been there and many of us have got away with it. I agree Luke should have got the maximum but the law looks at all events leading up to this tragedy. He didn't get up in the morning and said I am going to go out and kill someone. And he didn't run away from his responsibilities after the accident.

God forbid if this happened to my grandchildren or anyone elses for that matter. Yes his life will begin again after he is released from prison, but he will have that on his concious every day of his life. Unfortunately for the young boys their life has been snuffed out before it even started.

It would be interesting to know if the police took any steps in finding out who posted the lies on facebook about his girlfriend. Are they not just as guilty if not more so. This is a tragic case born out of some hate or perverse joke by others which put Like over the top lets not forget that. He was clearly deeply upset about hearing things about the girl he loved. What would we have done - I don't know and it is not an excuse but life has mainy frailties Fortunately the cause of these very rarely end in such tragedy.

Luke is one of the most pleasant and unnassuming people you will ever meet. He was not an habitual drunk, getting into fights etc, he as I said will pay for this tragedy for the rest of his life. And yes he is alive - but for the family it is even worse they have no future. Our thoughts must go out to the families.

Guest Peppermint

Ok Ok - I withdraw my posting and let's all let the thugs and idiots who drink and drive and kill innocent children take over our beautiful game!Thanks for the lecture ECPL - I now feel a much better person.

We've all been there and many of us have got away with it. I agree Luke should have got the maximum but the law looks at all events leading up to this tragedy. He didn't get up in the morning and said I am going to go out and kill someone. And he didn't run away from his responsibilities after the accident.

God forbid if this happened to my grandchildren or anyone elses for that matter. Yes his life will begin again after he is released from prison, but he will have that on his concious every day of his life. Unfortunately for the young boys their life has been snuffed out before it even started.

It would be interesting to know if the police took any steps in finding out who posted the lies on facebook about his girlfriend. Are they not just as guilty if not more so. This is a tragic case born out of some hate or perverse joke by others which put Like over the top lets not forget that. He was clearly deeply upset about hearing things about the girl he loved. What would we have done - I don't know and it is not an excuse but life has mainy frailties Fortunately the cause of these very rarely end in such tragedy.

Luke is one of the most pleasant and unnassuming people you will ever meet. He was not an habitual drunk, getting into fights etc, he as I said will pay for this tragedy for the rest of his life. And yes he is alive - but for the family it is even worse they have no future. Our thoughts must go out to the families.

Are you saying that you have been a drink driver in the past ecpl cause if you are speak for yourself its not something that I do and i am sure many other forum users are the same as me!! :angry2:

Guest Sport Lover

Luke should get what is coming to him I thought he got 7 years and parole in 3?

A couple of facts about drink driving. The legal limit is 35mg therefore for some reason the government allow you to have a 'couple' of drinks then you can drive. Is there any reason why the limit cant be reduced to 0?

Also as an ex driving instructor we were bombarded with facts about death on the roads.

3000 deaths a year (on average)

500 caused by drink/driving

That means 2500 caused by other factors.

64% of deaths on the road caused by lack of observation.

The comment let he cast the first stone etc etc could be aimed at ALL of us who drive because Im sure everyone can say with hand on heart their observations are not 100% and had some lucky escapes or near misses.

If the government were serious about reducing deaths on the road they would reduce the drink/drive limit to zero, make ALL drivers take a test every 5 years, reduce the probation allowance from 6 penalty points for forst two years to zero points allowed, Compulsory eyes test. Retests annually for drivers 65 or older, make the driving test harder. I could go on but.....

Guest ECPL Supporter

I'm sorry ECPL but i don't see how posting a rumour on facebook is as bad or worse than drink driving and killing 2 young boys!!!

Guest mariner

If my children where the ones to have been MURDERED and the swine was released in 3 yrs i can hand on heart honestly say that when he was released i would take his life, He doesnt deserve to be alive!

Guest crosser

100% agreement from me ECPL.

Unfortunately I was brought up in an era when drinking and driving was considered a bit of a joke. How often did people may age say, 'god I don't remember much about last night or even how I drove home’. And there will be many of us who have had that experience. That was how it was.

Thankfully that era is all behind us and there are now stiff drink - drive rules regarding alcohol and drugs. Many of us have lived through the change. There was a time when being caught under the influence was treated as a night in the cells to sleep it off and that was that. Then fines came in and so on.

Nobody but nobody can condone what Luke did. That is why sometimes when I look upon my lifetime I think there but for the grace of god go I. It took a long time for the law to change and rightly it has. What I was trying to say is that in this particular case a very nice and normal person without a blemish on his character did an abnormal thing and has paid the penalty for his actions. I think it was this reason why the judge only gave him the minimal sentence.

When coming to drink it is all about us taking responsibility over our actions. Unfortunately events that sometimes happen means we can go complete out of kilter How many times have you gone on out on the beer and something triggers inside your head something that has never happened before. You get in your car and with so much anger insideyou drive like crazy. You get in a fight or smash a window or did something else which you would never dream of doing.

What happened to Luke clearly put him out of kilter and the rest as we know is history. Sending an otherwise normal person to jail for 5, 10 or even 50 years is never going to be enough to punish him for what he did. His punishment is that he will never forget what he did and has to live with it.

We know it will never bring back the two kiddies or the pain of their parents. That will never change.

It is why that in this country we have the law. Like it or not everyone is entitled to a fair trial and I think Luke got one. We may not agree with the result but that is the way our justice system works.

We can all take a knee jerk reaction but thankfully we live in a civilised society.

Sport Lover has made many valid points.

A number of you have made your views obvious without actually taking time out to see what is what Black is sometimes Grey and there is a reson for everything.

I don't know if any of you watched a TV programme last night about motorway police and a terrible motorway accident which killed three people It started from the accident, the deaths, the young 17 year old who's mum and cousin died. The lorry driver who was given four years and he can't or won't remember what happened. It was horrific but it brought it home to me the tragedy of any type of accident. Over the years I have regularly cris crossed the UK driving many hundreds of thousands of miles. It brings back many memories of stupid things I have done as a driver and wonder sometines how I have got away with bad driving for many reasons. I have driven down a motorway and woke up not knowing if I had fallen to sleep for two seconds or 20 seconds. These things happen and they shouldn't

Again I am not protecting Luke, but I can understand what is going through his mind.

Someone posted what about his girlfriend. She is standing by him but her life is going to be hell. His fanily is going through hell along with the extended family of the two youngsters. So many people have been caught up in this tragedy caused by a moment of madness.

Hopefully this never happens to any of us now or in the future. You may not agree with what I have posted, but these things happen and instead of posting knee jerk reactions, look back upon your own lives and reflect again, but for the grace of god go I.

Guest geachy1

If my children where the ones to have been MURDERED and the swine was released in 3 yrs i can hand on heart honestly say that when he was released i would take his life, He doesnt deserve to be alive!

i know what hes done is bad taking to young lives but he didnt murder them it was an accident im sure he wishes he could turn back time and change it all.

i also think he shud of got the maximum of 14 years for this crime.

Guest crosser

Unfortunately I was brought up in an era when drinking and driving was considered a bit of a joke. How often did people may age say, 'god I don't remember much about last night or even how I drove home’. And there will be many of us who have had that experience. That was how it was.

Thankfully that era is all behind us and there are now stiff drink - drive rules regarding alcohol and drugs. Many of us have lived through the change. There was a time when being caught under the influence was treated as a night in the cells to sleep it off and that was that. Then fines came in and so on.

Nobody but nobody can condone what Luke did. That is why sometimes when I look upon my lifetime I think there but for the grace of god go I. It took a long time for the law to change and rightly it has. What I was trying to say is that in this particular case a very nice and normal person without a blemish on his character did an abnormal thing and has paid the penalty for his actions. I think it was this reason why the judge only gave him the minimal sentence.

When coming to drink it is all about us taking responsibility over our actions. Unfortunately events that sometimes happen means we can go complete out of kilter How many times have you gone on out on the beer and something triggers inside your head something that has never happened before. You get in your car and with so much anger insideyou drive like crazy. You get in a fight or smash a window or did something else which you would never dream of doing.

What happened to Luke clearly put him out of kilter and the rest as we know is history. Sending an otherwise normal person to jail for 5, 10 or even 50 years is never going to be enough to punish him for what he did. His punishment is that he will never forget what he did and has to live with it.

We know it will never bring back the two kiddies or the pain of their parents. That will never change.

It is why that in this country we have the law. Like it or not everyone is entitled to a fair trial and I think Luke got one. We may not agree with the result but that is the way our justice system works.

We can all take a knee jerk reaction but thankfully we live in a civilised society.

Sport Lover has made many valid points.

A number of you have made your views obvious without actually taking time out to see what is what Black is sometimes Grey and there is a reson for everything.

I don't know if any of you watched a TV programme last night about motorway police and a terrible motorway accident which killed three people It started from the accident, the deaths, the young 17 year old who's mum and cousin died. The lorry driver who was given four years and he can't or won't remember what happened. It was horrific but it brought it home to me the tragedy of any type of accident. Over the years I have regularly cris crossed the UK driving many hundreds of thousands of miles. It brings back many memories of stupid things I have done as a driver and wonder sometines how I have got away with bad driving for many reasons. I have driven down a motorway and woke up not knowing if I had fallen to sleep for two seconds or 20 seconds. These things happen and they shouldn't

Again I am not protecting Luke, but I can understand what is going through his mind.

Someone posted what about his girlfriend. She is standing by him but her life is going to be hell. His fanily is going through hell along with the extended family of the two youngsters. So many people have been caught up in this tragedy caused by a moment of madness.

Hopefully this never happens to any of us now or in the future. You may not agree with what I have posted, but these things happen and instead of posting knee jerk reactions, look back upon your own lives and reflect again, but for the grace of god go I.

again 100% agreement, apart from the fact about drink driving i'm from a different era

Guest Peppermint

My last point - why did he then not plead guilty right away and save the family a lot of trauma. The poor father is still in a wheelchair - and McCormick's barrister was more worried about the affect on his client!!!!

Then to bring up the Facebook rubbish - he has got off lightly but we cannot do anything but hope the parents can eventually have some sort of quality life and as far as most people are concerned that is most important not McCormick.

Guest Man on the Post

Peppermint, you may recall that the original charges laid against Luke McCormick included 'Driving without Insurance'. This was withdrawn at a later hearing. I think you will find that Luke pleaded guilty at the first court opportunity, once the charges laid by the prosecution were amended. This is the way I understand it, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest Man on the Post

Darren the first Plea Hearing was 8th September, however it was adjourned until 6th October.

I hope your not finding it too difficult juggling your work around surfing the web. :yahoo:

Guest Man on the Post

But surely not 30 breaks a day. :clapper::thumbsup::yahoo:

I assume that the judge, prosecution, defence or other interested party would request an adjournment at the very start of the hearing. The adjournment was agreed by all parties and the hearing ended there and then without reaching the plea stage. I maybe wrong.

Guest Peppermint

I think you maybe correct Man on the Post - I was basing my point about the plea on the article in 'The Times' re the trial. They have been known to be wrong!

carlsberg you really are a its alright to make stupid posts about football and take the mick out of people

on here. but as for that post you should be ashamed of yourself, you have obviously just posted that to get a reaction, so well done but if your going to post rubbish like that then do it on another topic.

2 little boys died for gods sake.

Just a quick point, regarding the crash. People are saying that it was an accident but I would just like to say that there is no such thing as a road traffic accident anymore it has been classified now as a road traffic collision.

In the case of Luke McCormick it certainly would have been an RTC as the crash was casued by human error and not an act of god.

All the excuses in the world can not bring back the two young lives that were lost, whatever McCormick had read about his girlfriend stepping into a vehicle twice the legal limit and driving in excess of 90 mph is just not acceptable. The sentence handed down to him was in line with sentencing in this country, SOFT. He should have received at least 10 years, (serving the full term without parole) and although he has to live with the guilt of what he has done at least he can continue to live his life not like the two innocent victims.

Once he has served his time then and paid his debt to society then yes he should be allowed to get on with his career, hopefully giving something back to the community by passing on the message that it does not matter how angry or p***ed off you are do not get into a lethal weapon when over the limit and drive at excess speed, a vehicle can be just as dangerous as a gun in the wrong hands. :angry2:

Well said Luffy!! Like you say its a soft sentence but hey thats just our wonderful justice system! The missing canoe guy got 6 years this guy kills 2 lads and gets 7, hadly seems fair. But whatever the sentence we will get people saying it's not long enough, im sure the boys' family would only be happy with "an eye for an eye".

Let hope that when he is released he does as you say and put something back into the community

I still say that it was terrible accident

yes, he should never have been driving, but he didn't intentionally go out and 'murder' the two boys. I don't condone what he done at all, far from it, he deserves to be punished.

The family are going to serve a life sentence of course because they're without the son's.

Guest Tavybey

I think the sentence was lenient (about half the maximum tariff for the offence) because he pleaded guilty - and maybe because of circumstances surrounding the accident which would only have been made public if he had pleaded not guilty and a trial, with all the evidence being heard, had followed.

BigG I know what you're saying and understand where you're coming from. but my thoughts are that it was an accident!

He deliberately got in the car, yes, but he didn't deliberately kill those kids.

I think every person will have their own views on this coming from all kinds of angles, one thing we all agree on though is that he done wrong, and its the kids parents who are suffering now

Guest Sport Lover

I cant see how you can call it an accident, if you intentially drive a car and your over the legal limit then anything that happens after that fact is not an accident.

I believe the police have removed the word accident from their definitions they now call them incidents. RTA (Road Traffic Accident) ius now RTI (Road Traffic incident). This is because in MOST incidents there is someone to blame and therefore it cannot be an accident, so sorry Darren I disagree with you.

:angry2: i think all this bantering about the moron who stole the lives of innocent people shouldnt even be talked about,the family of the ones whose lost their lives are going to suffer for the rest of their lives,yes he will be out in time,but the family of the young lads and their father will be suffering for the rest of their lives,would they wish to read this, i dont think so.

Guest cloak and dagger

the ******* primo thought he could push the law by drink driving, he should serve the full term in the slammer for his RTC!!

He is to blame for what happened so should serve the punishment! why does he think he can drive with no insurance and get away with it.

This *****-head is the perfect example of a 'footballer' who earns too much money and thinks he is better than everyone else, an example should be made of him:

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!

This is when we should have capital punishment back, life for a life!!

some interesting thoughts on here about whether it was an accident or not.

I think, of course it was an accident as far as he did not intentionally set out to cause death to 2 innocent young boys, but when you drive at those speeds under the influence of alcohol then you must accept responsibilty for your actions. unfortunately 2 lives were lost and he must face the consequences. the sentence he has been given is a joke! this country is far too lenient in its so called 'punishments'. McCormick is still a young player himself, he will be out in 5 years or so and still have a career waiting for him (use Lee Hughes as an example). the family of the 2 lads will be serving a life sentence themselves for their loss. footballers are supposed to set an example to youngsters, McCormicks only involvement in football when he is released should be community service to coach at schools, clubs etc.

Either way, whether it is described as an accident or not, 2 young boys lost their life and McCormicks actions were disgraceful!!!!

clueless, where does it say he had no insurance? don't let facts get in the way of comdemnation though.

as for Joey Barton, he's cum. cigars in eyes etc. but not in the same league. you cant compare.

it's sad for everyone.

He'll never play again. Not in the same charachter set as Lee Hughes, who ran away from the scene. He has a very gentle nature.

But he deserves the time

its extremely sad, for everyone involved.

he was breaking the law, end of story, he killed someone, end of story. He should serve the time, regardless of character.

Joey Barton on the other hand, dont start me on him.

As Vinny Jones said last week, he wishes he had Barton on his side when he was still playing to "rough the scrote up".

the ******* primo thought he could push the law by drink driving, he should serve the full term in the slammer for his RTC!!

He is to blame for what happened so should serve the punishment! why does he think he can drive with no insurance and get away with it.

This *****-head is the perfect example of a 'footballer' who earns too much money and thinks he is better than everyone else, an example should be made of him:

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!

This is when we should have capital punishment back, life for a life!!

See you know all the facts about the case!!!! he didn't get done for having no Insurance because of an adminstrative error, he did have insurance.

Yes, he's to blame, but in my mind, it was still an accident

Guest Sport Lover

Darren its not an accident, an accident is an event that happens that you have no or little control off. he choose to drive knowing he was over the limit therefore it is intentional.

Mr Lover!! In my opinion it was an accident.

He didn't mean to kill those kids. Yes, he was over the limit and therefore increased those chances, but to me, he didn't deliberately run them off the road.

But this is what we're all debating, people have different opinions on accident and deliberate

Guest Sport Lover

Mr Darren!!!!! not sure why all the !!!

You wouldnt think the same if it was your kids he mowed down and killed your be wanting to string him up and lock him up for life, just think about that for a few seconds before you say he killed them accidently.

I like using those!

I understand where you're coming from by saying "if they were mine", but as I don't have kids then I can't comment, possibly it would be different.

But my thoughts are that it was an accident. He didn't do it deliberately. But also on the same hand, that doesn't take anything away from the fact that what he did was wrong and he deserves to be punished. Everyone will have different ideas on punishment, ie: life for a life, 20 years, banned from football for life! but we have a judicial system in place and that we have to abide to, whether we agree it or not