Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay 8 Wendron 0

Normally when a team plays well one or two players play outstanding well and the rest just play well. On Saturday unfortunately for Wendron all of Newquay's team played outstandingly well. Jake Hartigan put over a pin point corner for Andy Morris to score at the near post to put Newquay ahead. A superb Hartigan cross was met by on on rushing Luke Rigby who finished with a half volley. Luke Weldhen then tried his luck from distance and the ball caught the wind to finish in the top corner. Middleton completed the first half scoring following up a blocked shot. Symon Winnan in goal made an outstaning save from a Scott Palmer first time shot after being set up by Middleton. Newquay had the wind in their favour in the second hald and Rigby scored his second goal with a fierce shot after his first effort was saved. Winnan then prevented another Palmer free kick special with a great save that he must have seen late. Palmer was not to be denied and scored for a fifth consecutive game with a piledriver on the turn. The excellent Weldhen was rewarded with his second goal that was cheekily dummied by the clever Hartigan. The scoring was completed when Palmer scored a rare headed goal from a cross by the young and impressive Jamie Wigg. I know this was not the result Symon was hoping for on his early return but we are sure he will turn things around at a good well run club and everyone at Newquay wishes Symon and the club all the very best for the remainder of the season.

Guest Peppermint

Nice report Jim and I am sure we all wish Symon the very best of luck at his new club and he leaves Newquay with a host of friends and he will always be welcome at Mount Wise. We thank him for all his contributions at Newquay and I am sure he will achieve success at a very well run and respected club.

As stated in another posting I was most impressed with the Wendron United Assistant Referee - perhaps someone from the Club could name him because he certainly deserves it.

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that information Pete - it is nice for someone who does an excellent job to get the praise he or she deserves. He was a credit to the Club.

Yes it was Kevin Williamson that runs the line for us at Wendron as Pete Tully pointed out, not saying it in a biased manner at all bcos of my involvement with Wendron first team but always has been one of the most genuine and honest linesman in the league probably, hopefully he may make his first mistakes this weekend when we play Penryn though lol!! only joking, Kev always runs the line in a very honest way no matter who the oposition and is a credit to Wendron.