Cornwall Football Forum

I'm sorry but i have had enough already this season!!!!! yeh i no, here we go again slagging the man in black off....but am i the only one who has noticed that the standard of reffing this season so far is well to be blunt...b*****ks!!!!!!! & if i hear another ref come up to me after the game & say sorry i made a mistake, i'm going to scream at him & prob get it sent off!!! but what do you all think? am i just being silly or have i got a point!!!! i now refs have a hard time & have a hard job to do but if you don't get the basics right from the off, you are in trouble

Guest Dermot

Crap Refs, Phew!! Cant be me this Season yet `Green & White` having not Reffed a game after having my Cartilage Op. :(

Must agree though that there seems to have been a hell of a lot of high profile `Ricketts` dropped by Officials this Season,but having made a few in my time as Ref I havn`t done them intentionally and as they say `over the course of the Season things even themselves out` i know that sounds like utter Bo***x but we all make mistakes. ;0/ :wacko:

Guest chinner

sorry but i have to disagree with that comment,my team holmans played st agnes in mining div2 yesterday and i have to say our ref mr spence(sorry dont know his first name)was very good,he let the game flow and was always talking to the players and if im not mistaken i believe he come down from st austell to do the game,a fair effort i must say.you will be reading this i know thinking we won but actually we lost 1-0 to a good young st agnes team who i think will do very well this season

very true dermot, but i think we have had a season of bad luck & refs mistakes in the 1st 9 games....might sound like sour grapes but if you had seen our games this season, you would no what i'm talking about & i'm sure some of the teams that have beaten us, might agree & i'm still wondering how they have!!

That's probably Colin Spence Chinner, he's a quality a referee as well as a cracking bloke. He's from Newquay.

Unless there's another Spence that referees.

Green & White - Why don't you try refereeing a match then as you seem such an expert on the subject. There are plenty of quality referee's in Cornwall. It's people with an attitude like you that make their jobs difficult.

Guest Dermot

Colin Spence now lives in Mitchell,top Ref and helped me out loads when i started Reffing,as did others ;0)

I am sure `Green & White` is not referring to any specific Ref in his comments, and as he states he has taken up the role of Referee so fair play to him ;0) :clapper:

Simon Way had a hard time at Pendeen yesterday both during and after the game. Pendeen need to realize that just because he was sort of "local" they can,t expect favours and need to win on their own merit. Manager was well out of order with his reactions after the game (although it is not right to put them on the web site) Pendeen player who was sent off can,t complain he made no attempt for the ball whatsoever. Pendeen,s forward (ginger chap called Wayne ? ) said to me while our player was recieving treatment " Im fed up with this it,s happening every week" good players won,t stay with teams like this. Every ref we had this year has been good they can,t all see everything all the time appeal and carry on none of you will have a problem. Green + White when we played you last week ref was good, a few complaints about our linesman were made, but when our linesman failed to flag in the latter stage leaving 3 players clean through no-one from mousehole shouted for offside! swings and roundabouts mate.

Guest The Old Man

Green & White, I take it Mousehole are struggling this season? It always seems that the referee is worse when the chips are down....If you were winning every week you'd rarely notice the referee's performance...just at the moment you're looking beyond your team's efforts....

How many times have your players made mistakes this season?

We had a good referee yesterday...Dave Goldstone in the ECPL 1 fixture v St Stephens Borough....didn't put a foot wrong...always in control...rarely noticed him..totally in control...should be reffing higher than ECPL.

Guest Postie Pidge

Manager was well out of order with his reactions after the game (although it is not right to put them on the web site)

That's two games in a row where the Pendeen manager had altercations with the officials

A member of the St Agnes team commented on how good Mr Spence was as well.

Whilst we're at it, can I ask those refs that referee at Combo level a couple of questions about rules/laws?

Is the 6 second rule for goalkeepers still in place?

If a player is injured in the combo league, he doesn't have to go off whilst play starts "because that doesn't happen in this league"

The second one I'm not to bothered about, cos I find it daft anyway, but does it not happen at Combo level?

Guest Dermot

The answer to your question St D is yes on both counts, and both should be used at all levels of football.

The 6 second ruling is always a close one to call but if the Keeper hangs on to the ball too long in a game i Ref in i would give them a warning first time to let them know i am watching then give a free kick if they do it again, they soon learn.

As for the injured player going of with the Trainer/Physio, this is a subject that has been raised on this Forum in the past and should be observed at all levels of Football, but unfortunately it still isnt. ;0) :c:

Guest plonker

yes topcat had hard time from pendeen ,player you got red card was a second yellow ,a dark skin player from falmouth athletic came to me and said that pendeen crowd were being racist towards him as i could not do a thing about it as i did not hear it ..... :( :(

Green & White, I take it Mousehole are struggling this season? It always seems that the referee is worse when the chips are down....If you were winning every week you'd rarely notice the referee's performance...just at the moment you're looking beyond your team's efforts....

How many times have your players made mistakes this season?

We had a good referee yesterday...Dave Goldstone in the ECPL 1 fixture v St Stephens Borough....didn't put a foot wrong...always in control...rarely noticed him..totally in control...should be reffing higher than ECPL.

not saying players don't make mistakes but we have been playing some bloody good football this season... just ask chasewater & fal ath 4 starters!!! yes we r not winning & i'm not making excuses but we r not winning game because of lots bad reffing or as i said b4....is it just the standard is not as good or r the refs being asked to do to much for the standard of footy we play????

I was a little bemused by the referee in the Callington v Bude ECPL match on Saturday. I only saw most of the first half so I don't know what happened after I left.

What I noticed was whenever there was a foul the referee called the player over and then the captain. He did this a few times warning what he would do if it happened again. Same procedure, player plus captain come to me sort of thing. After a while the players who by now were becoming a little bemused had plenty to shout about when a player from both sides had a bit of a tangle, shook hands and then walked away. Not the referee. After going red in the face he spoke to both players with the captains (you know the scenario) and he cautioned them both.

Obviously the guy was going completely by the book but at times it did make you chuckle.

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!! and this is what angers players, managers and fans alike is an obvious muck-up. Callington's Kevin Blatchford raced into the penalty area and was chopped down for the most obvious penalty you well ever see. The defender completely missed the ball and brought down the player. Not a problem it happens but everyone was dumbstruck when the referee (I do not know his name) had a Rob Styles moment. He had the perfect view and you guessed it PLAY ON.

My point being. If following the laws of the game re respect etc and making himself look silly then so be it, at least he was consistant.

The problem is he then missed one of the most obvious penalties you will ever see and for some reasons missed it.

This I'm afraid is what confuses players the most. An official makes a great meal of following the book for fouls, but somehow misses the obvious. It would be interesting to note who also saw the 'penalty'

All this referee bashing at some time in the future has got to stop....all players on the field of play make mistakes all through the game, but most only moan when the referee makes a mistake.....

My point being is that Junior football in the county is suffering very badly, no referee on Saturday's....why don't the SWPL start up a scheme to encourage referee's and perhaps contribute towards the costings. Thoughts please........

Anita your posting above is a bit misleading, many referees in the Falmouth Helston league regularly ref at combo and SWP level. Difference being when you are playing junior football and you swear at a linesman or a ref you get a straight red. Watch a Swp game (or in your case run the line) and players can say virtually what they like and get away with it even though crowds are bigger so more people to hear.Also in a Fhl game I saw a club linesman give a corner against his own team from a challenge not more than a meter away from him, The referee gave a freekick to the defending team and cautioned the attacker although the ref was on the halfway line. Same ref in charge of a SWP game saw a defender blatantly kick an attacker whilst he was on the floor with the ball at the other end of the pitch and only issued a yellow card. (I,m afraid it was against Mousehole) most players in SWP are recieving "Expenses" junior players pay-to-play, fines are the same so treat everyone the same. This is in no way a dig at referees as mistakes are made by players and refs alike but consistentcy is what is needed. By the way we have had no complaints about our refs they have all been very good. Although " Plonker " did come in our changing room whilst our assistant manager was giving us a rather loud lecture on respecting referees on saturday and he knows we were all warned about conduct in no uncertain terms!

B) Hi all its me again the Cyprus ref, our leagues have started now and as with games over there players often don't agree with the refs decision, of course this is going to happen as players and managers are biast. I am now reffing on the Cyprus league and the beauty of it is i don't speak the lingo so don't understand alot of the comments (apart from the swear words), laws of the game are universal so they often know when a card is shown why it has been produced.

Keep up the good work all you guys and gals in black.

I am back in the UK for 2 weeks from the 15th of Oct so if you need a ref give me a call, i can always bring my kit.