Cornwall Football Forum

F A Vase results - Oct 4th

Guest Man on the Post

This forum has often been critical of the standard of the Western League, however after today’s results I think we should hold our hands up and say ‘well done’. :D

I have to say I went to the Porthleven v Larkhall game and although the visitors won, Port, a Division One side were not really outclassed. I'm surprised Larkhall beat Parkway on what I saw today.

Larkhall took the lead after about three minutes of the game, not the best of starts for the home side, and not really the best of goals! Bit of a scramble as although down the far end, it looked as if either a shot by a Larkhall striker, or an attempted clearance hit another Larkhall player and ended up with Port's 'keeper Lee Mitchell having no chance.

As I saw it though, the game was there for the taking by either side as really both defences looked a little dodgy, looking more comfortable going forward.

Port got back into the game when good play from Richard Young forced his way into the left side of the penalty area before crossing in low for Mike Davies to touch in from the edge of the six yard box. And probably the next ten minutes or so was when Port could have got the vital advantage. Young was a little unfortunate that a cross came in a little faster and higher than he expected and the ball went over the bar. Darren Burchell caused danger whenever with a few free-kicks from dangerous positions.

And before that, in fact I think it might have been even before the equaliser, somehow a Burchell free-kick got stuck under everyone's feet in the box with eventually Port actually failing to get a shot in.

1-1 half-time and anyone's game. The second-half however never really got going, for either side really. Port caught offside too many times, Paul Robertson (if he was no. 9) in particular; Kevin Lawrence was brought down - too far out for anything but a yellow card from the ref, but the little winger surely would have got a shot in on goal. And the goal conceded - well, a sucker punch really as they were caught out with a quickly taken free-kick by Larkhall just inside the visitors' own half - central defender Hughie Howlett lost his man (not exactly for the first time), this time though it proved costly as again Mitchell had no chance with the shot.

In fact Mitchell, although not always looking in command, made some good saves to justify manager Gary Marks complimentary comments about him in the papers during the week. Just a shame he can't kick!

But that Port defence - too quiet boys! In fact all over the pitch, possibly they lack a "Darren Gilbert" type of influence - certainly Chairman Neil Clark would agree with that, as he said so!

All in all though, for me if Port had one more player like Darren Burchell on the park, they would have been good enough on the day too have won. Class, with I think only about two passes out of loads that didn't go to a fellow team-mate.

Elsewhere in the Vase - well no doubt Alan will not like me for saying this, but the surprise for me was Bodmin not going through. Launceston was always going to find it tricky; Saltash are good enough to go a little further in the competition; but I think Bodmin would have been expected to have certainly made it into the next round. One could say so far this season - they have underperformed!

Brislington looked a very good & strong team in their matches against Truro last season - so I am not surprised by the result.

Dawlish have high hopes of winning the Western Premier and going into the Southern League - so no surprise there either.

However, I did fancy Porthlevens chances - so I am a little disappointed on that one..!

This forum has often been critical of the standard of the Western League, however after today’s results I think we should hold our hands up and say ‘well done’. :D

Have to agree. Last season Western League won nearly all FA Cup / Vase / St Lukes clashes vs. SWP last season also.