Cornwall Football Forum

Linesman in Divioion 1 east and west

Guest betti1

Guest betti1

Can anyone advise me as to why Division one teams are deemed not worthy to have a linesman on a Saturday and must supply their own, but midweek they must have two "assistant referees" supplied by the league. Last nights match Millbrook v Vospers, very poor attendance as expected but the officials fees were £96!! Totally disheartening for all the hard working committee as the gate did not cover this obviously, so the residue has to be found out of club funds.

Betti1, It`s not that they are considered not worthy, the reason East & West div do not get appointed assistants on a saturday is simply that there are not enough officials and of course for a midweek game there are sufficient officials to appoint. But surely any team entering the CSWPL would have been aware of the potential costs involved and if they felt they could not afford it then why join. It`s no good joining the CSWPL and now start bitching about costs.

Guest ajlongcallington

Totally agree with you Betti, it is something that has put a real downer on the new league set up for those of us in the East and West.

It appears to spring originally from a disagreement between the league and the CCFA Referees - but now I expect it is more to do with the fact that if you had three officials for every game then the already serious shortage of officials further down the pyramid would be increased.

One thing I think should happen, though, is that if we are not going to have appointed linesmen for the East and West Divisions on a Saturday then that should be the situation for ALL matches including the midweek ones - to give a level playing field to all sides.

Maybe something that can be brought up at the next Management Meeting of the League?

To answer Mr Manning, the issue of costs and where referees and linesmen come from to officiate at matches was not discussed - so it is not really fair to hit the clubs too hard on this one...

ajlongcallington, there was no disagreement between officials and the CCFA its just that there are just not enough officials available, we all know that there is a shortage, a couple of weeks ago there were 27 match officials short of the required number down west so now just add 2 more officials to every east west div game and you can see it`s just not possible to appoint them as they do not exist.

Guest betti1

My point is that we can do without them on a Saturday, so why do we have to have them midweek, teams must supply their own linesman on a Saturday (usually someone connected with the club) who will usually run the line for a bag of chips or something thus keeping the cost down. I know that a lot of clubs feel this way, and BManning, the club have not 'joined the league and started bitching about the cost,' I think you will find they have been in the league for a little while!

Guest ECPL Supporter

Beeti1, what about teams not turning up for pre season friendly's and leaving the other team with all the costs? How do you reckon that should be dealt with?

So if they have been in the league for a little while why now start moaning about the costs, you cannot tell me that a team joined the CSWPL not know what the possible cost of joining a league in the pyramid system would be, also any of the established clubs who were already in the old CSWL would already know as they had assistants appointed to all games. By the way i am not defending the costs, but in senior football they are and always have been a fact of life.

Beeti1, what about teams not turning up for pre season friendly's and leaving the other team with all the costs? How do you reckon that should be dealt with?

if the game has been arranged properly & through club secretaries then half the cost should be billed to the club that does not turn up!!! (that is my opinion) :thumbsup:

in reply to B Manning,betti1 is only making a valid point a club should not have extra officials forced upon the for midweek games just cos it suits some officials to make extra in the pocket?? (that again is my own opinion) :P;) :thumbsup:

Gats, it`s not a question of officials being forced upon them, in an ideal world they would have 3 officials at every game but in the present situation they are only available for evening games, so think of it in the light of them saving costs by using their own assistants on saturdays. Perhaps they could get together and at the next AGM inform the CSWPL that they are not willing to have assistants appointed but will use their own. Just a thought.

I AGREE ABOUT HAVING OFFICIALS FOR EVENING GAMES WHY IS IT THAT WE CLUB LINESMEN DO ALL SEASON IN THE WIND,RAIN AND SUNSHINE THEN WE GET AN EVENING GAME AND WE ARE ABANDONED.NOT NEEDED AND WE HAVE TO SUFFER WITH ALL THE OTHER FANS AND SPECTATORS .IT WOULD BE NICE TO DO THE GAMES UNDER FLOODLIGHTS AND IT WOULD SAVE THE CLUBS A FORTUNE.AS WAS SAID OFFICIALS COST A LOT OF MONEY AND THE GATE RARELY COVERS IT WHERE AS US CLUB MEN DO IT FOR NOTHING .TELL A LIE I GET A PINT AFTERWARDS, AT HOME ANYWAY.

WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT SOME CLUBS IN THE LEAGUE WANT TO SORT THEMSELVES OUT . LAST SEASON AT ABOUT FOUR CLUBS I DIDN'T EVEN GET A DRINK AT HALF TIME.THANKS VERY MUCH.

ONES I CAN REMEMBER WERE MOUSEHOLE.MILLBROOK. ST AUSTELL THEY SHOULD TRY AND LOOK AFTER US A LITTLE BIT BETTER. I,V E HAD ME MOAN BUT MOST CLUBS ARE OK.

FROM A DISGRUNTLED LINESMEN.SORRY REFEREE'S ASSISTANT

Guest Cornishdave1980

Legend or Leg End, there's one very simple solution to your slight rant on Assistant Referee appointments for mid week games. If you really want to assist "under floodlights" take the full course and join the rest of the officials trying to help football continue in the county at all levels.

Furthermore, clubs should assume they are going to pay for 3 officials for every home game throughout the season, this should be included in their future yearly budget forecast. If they don't have to pay then its a bonus!!

I am not knocking club linesman’s as I have done it before, but you should remember its done voluntarily, thus the opposition club has no requirement to meet your alcoholic needs. If you need a drink at half time your team should provide you with a water bottle.

Guest ajlongcallington

Hi Bmanning - I dont want to disagree with you, but on this very site back in the spring of last year the statement was made by the league management committee that all three leagues would have three officials - and this was communicated to ALL the clubs prior to the vote to form the new league.

Subsequently we were informed that there was a breakdown in agreement between the league and the CCFA in particular which meant that there would not be enough officials to cover all the games. These things happen in life and there is no blame attached to either side - it is just a fact of the game at the moment.

I think you could be right in that as there is little sign of the respect campaign having much immediate impact on encouraging people to do the very difficult job of refereeing - it may be that we have to officially resort back to having club linesmen for all SWPL East and West games. Not ideal, but the numbers currently do not add up and so I can see little other choice at the moment.

ajlongcallington, I think we actually agree, of course the original intention was to appoint 3 officials to all CSWPL games and it was expected to be the case by the clubs. But any breakdown in agreement between the league and CCFA was because there are just not enough officials, so for the CCFA to agree to 3 officials to all games would have meant possibly 50% of games in Cornwall not having referee`s so it is only logical and unfortunate that the clubs in the East & West divisions do not have appointed assistants except when they are available eg, evening games and as you so rightly say " it`s just a fact of the game at the moment".

in reply to you CORNISHDAVE 1980 .i do not expect opposition clubs to meet my alcohol needs i said i get a pint at my home club but then again so does the ref and the away clubs linesman.all i said was when you;re in the same dressing room as the ref and he gets a half time drink and you dont ,its not very good is it.but yesterday i was at Dobwalls had a coffee jaffa cake and a biscuit.THANKS VERY MUCH DOBWALLS.

As for doing the so called full course just so i can line under lights ,why should i have to i ;when i only want to be a lino for my club and i've done the linesman course.i 'm just saying that it would be nice to do the games under floodlights as we do all the others.

Guest Cornishdave1980

Legend or Leg whilst its admirable that people like yourself do run lines week in week out ensuring games are played with the correct number of officials, you have to look at the bigger picture, when the league has the ability to appoint 3 neutral officials they should do so. This is for the good of the game and im sure most players at that level would prefer this situation.

I must also say it is commendable that the CCFA used the Assistant Referee course( i believe it was free) to elevate the Referee shortage, hopefully some of the guys taken advantage of this course will take the next step and start doing the middles.

Finally trust me a flood light game is all its cracked up to be!

Happy flagging

Guest Peppermint

Whilst on the subject of Club Assistant Referees and I know they sometimes take uncalled for abuse but yesterday at the Newquay v Wendron United match the visitor's assistant referee was absolutely brilliant. He got as far as I am aware every decision spot on and was always up with play and a credit to his Club. Not easy for the visitors being on the end of a drubbing but they stuck to their task and never gave up.

I am sorry I do not know the gentleman's name but I am sure someone from Wendron will know. He deserves a mention.

On another note it was not easy for Winno but we at Newquay wish him and his Club the best of luck for the rest of the season. there will be a nice picture of Jim Hilton and Winno shaking hands before the start of the match in this week's Newquay Voice.

Guest Peppermint

Sorry Dermot but I am completing a report for the Newquay Voice at present but I do not think they would be very happy if it appeared on here before the newspaper on Wednesday.

I am sure Mitch or Jimbo will be doing one and the goal scorers in a comprehensive win were Luke Weldhen 2, Scott Palmer 2, Luke Rigby 2, Andy Morris and Shaun Middleton. Winno made some great saves not the least the flying dive to prevent yet another Palmer hat trick. He will probably be disappointed with Scott's header that crept underneath him. Among a number of candidates for Star Man was the classy Paul Hampshire who I cannot recall making one misplaced pass. Half time score 4-0.

Whilst on the subject of Club Assistant Referees and I know they sometimes take uncalled for abuse but yesterday at the Newquay v Wendron United match the visitor's assistant referee was absolutely brilliant. He got as far as I am aware every decision spot on and was always up with play and a credit to his Club. Not easy for the visitors being on the end of a drubbing but they stuck to their task and never gave up.

I am sorry I do not know the gentleman's name but I am sure someone from Wendron will know. He deserves a mention.

On another note it was not easy for Winno but we at Newquay wish him and his Club the best of luck for the rest of the season. there will be a nice picture of Jim Hilton and Winno shaking hands before the start of the match in this week's Newquay Voice.

Posted on the other topic as well, Linesman i believe was Kev Williamson