Cornwall Football Forum

Oldies, Can you remember your first game ?

Just wondered how many of you older players remember your first ever game, today is the 37th anniversary of my first ever game,

6th Eltham cubs V 7th Eltham cubs at Mottingham south london 26th september 1971 just before my 7th birthday and I played up front first half and went in goal 2nd half and it finished as a 1-1 draw.

we went on to finish 3rd in the Eltham Cub league.......oh happy days............

1968. In Leicester, Sacred Heart Vs Bridge Road School,U/10s.My big brother cut some old brown leather boots up,painted them black with 3 white stripes on,they looked great until it rained. ;0)

In the return game I hurtled down the wing in the School playground and went to use the railings to stop myself but both arms went through and i broke my nose,happy days. :blink:

first game was for probus Junior football club back in 1991 away to tintagel! lovely trek for first game!!

won 16-0 and got changed in the old air raid-esque bunker!! we even did the trip on a mini bus but our driver filled the diesel bus with petrol and we had to walk the last 2 miles home!!!

first game playing mens football was for veryan at home to Fourlords( from st austell) aged 14(1995-96 season came off the bench with 25 to go, 2-1 down and set up two goals to help us too a 3-2 victory

first game in senior football was playing for probus in 1998 (98-99 season)

drew 0-0 with launceston at home , even had a cheeky write saying i'd played well! ( must have got me confused with someone else)

carrharack res v castle utd at the foot of carn brea signed on 5 past 2 on a car bonnet and got the winner 2 mins from time ......they were the days ........liverpool were champions then :D

What year was that mate?. Also "Liverpool were champions then", it was quite some time ago then. ;)

Oh and which team did you sign for?. If it was Carharrack, did the Castle boys give you a baptism of fire?.

1982 for st day against a division police ( now who remembers them ) over at the ground where camborne park play now . basically i was a rugby player that fancied a game of football with my mates . had lots of pace and heart but not a clue how to play the game . most people that know me will say nothings changed

hat year was that mate?. Also "Liverpool were champions then", it was quite some time ago then.

Oh and which team did you sign for?. If it was Carharrack, did the Castle boys give you a baptism of fire?.W

1989-90 ,playing for carrharack ,the castle boys were fine with no problems,went to school with most of them

All my debuts:

Grampound Primary School 1989 vs Ladock away, drew 1-1. They went 1-0 up, but Joe Anstis nicked an equaliser late in the game.

Roseland School 1992 vs Penrice home, this was for the "B" team drew 2-2 home vs Penrice, a game remember for an overhead goal from Paul "Sticks" Truan.

Probus youth 1994-ish vs St Mawes away, lost 3-1. Legendary Tom Kennedy's boys went 1-0 up through a Jamie Caruana 30 yard rocket , but St Mawes scored 3 times after the break with Rod Truan running the show and Ryan Harris grabbing a brace, think Sam Cochrane scored their 3rd.

Grampound 1996 vs Chacewater home, lost 6-1. I remember that we had about 20 players and new manager Mike Penhaligon rotated everyone lots, Gary Penhaligon played centre half for us and was awesome.

Dudley Campus first XI 1999 vs Telford Campus, won 4-2. Had an awesome debut cleared 2 of the line and was a rock throughout, got MOM which resulted in me having to stand on a stool with my left trouser leg rolled up and my flies un-done downing a pint of all sorts to the chants of "get it down you zulu warrior..."

Grampound Reserves 3rd August 2004 vs Mount Charles home, won 2-1. Having missed the first 2 pre-season friendlies due to being injured as a result of a car crash Grampound Reserves picked up their first ever win thanks to an own goal and an Ed Mills goal. Grampound Reserves first ever competitive game was on Saturday 28th August 2004, and we won 4-0 thanks to goals from Joe Dunn, Dean Rockall (who were both 14 at the time), Matt Eddy (now at Aggie Combo, 15 at the time) and Chris Prall.

Other debuts:

Exeter Uni History PGCE 6-a-side team, November 2004, beat Geography 11-8 in a grudge match.

Premier Sixes debut; in late 2006; played for Cornwall All Sorts v Cunning Stunts, drew 0-0, although I marked Luke Wort and had him in my pocket for the game.

Carn Brea 5-a-side league debut; 11th September 2008 for Redruth School FC v Dash-4-it, won 3-0 and 7-2. So far we have played 4, won 4 with a goal difference of +17.

Apologies for the lack of detail in some debuts :yahoo: :drink:

All youngsters!

Played in 1958 in Derbyshire for my school. Still playing in 2008 for Crowntown.

I actually played in goal - with a green (had to be green in those days - even though all the games were in black & white) woolen polo neck jumper.

It poured with rain. The jumper got bigger and heavier 'till it went past my knees and I was cold.

No gloves. (Gloves? in those days.) Let in 5, one through my legs that 'll never forget.

TRESILLIAN ROVERS UNDER 14 V FOXHOLE WON 2-1 KEVIN DREW HAD THE 1ST AND I HAD THE 2ND some good players in the team then PHIL VICERY, GUY WIGNAL, KEITH SOLOMAN GOOD DAYS

yes mate guys brother GARY played in the under 15s-16s, guys dad **** ran the side think we scored 124 goals in 12 games, good days and still talk to guy about those days when i see out and about :ninja: :ninja:

Around 1955, aged eight at junior school. I was told I was playing right back and had seen a diagram showing all the positions. I was convinced I had to stand on the top right corner of the goal area and couldn't understand why there seemed to be a crowd of boys following the ball all over the pitch! No proper coaching until I left University (went to a rugby only school) except for what passed for coaching ("Training") at Hounslow Town when I was 17. Yes, Oldasitgets, goalies' jumpers were ALWAYS green; no number on the back, you knew he was number one!

1982 for st day against a division police ( now who remembers them ) over at the ground where camborne park play now . basically i was a rugby player that fancied a game of football with my mates . had lots of pace and heart but not a clue how to play the game . most people that know me will say nothings changed

Yeah I remember A Div Police. A decent Mining 1 Outfit in their day.

As far as you are concerned Sammo, I'd say less pace, twice the heart, and every clue in the book now you're older and wiser.

My first game was in August 1987 (late starter!) for St Day in a friendly vs Sticker away. Played one more game for St Day v Illogan in another friendly the week after and got poached to play for them. First and only time I've been poached lol lol lol. Was quick in those days - I reckon if I'd shaved the big hair I used to have back then, I'd have quickened my pace by an extra couple of metres per second...... :D

In mid-60's for Goonhavern against Carnhell Green at farmer John Trevethan's field in Rosehill.

We changed in a 40 year old caravan(most teams changed in their cars so we were well off!) which doubled up as kitroom and net and flag storage.The caravan was positioned in a corner of the farmyard next to the dung pile!

The Secretary at that time(and for a long time),Brian May,had to go around the pitch with a shovel and wheelbarrow before every home game to clear up after the farmer's cows.

Anyway,i played on the right wing (having played at St.Austell for my school in the morning and cycled home from Newquay afterwards),can't recall the score,think we won,but remember being kicked across the top of my knee for my troubles by some ulking great full back.Carnhell were a team of farmers,i seem to recall,(Mike Odgers will remember them) from the Hayle side of Camborne.

Given the average age of Newquay Combo side is less than the Arsenal Carling Cup team, I think I now qualify as an 'oldie'!

I can remember turning out for Bishops primary school under 11's side at the age of 8 and winning 2-0 against a much fancied (and much bigger!) side. I doubt that would be allowed these days? I played right-back and didn't have a clue what I was doing, not a lot has changed since 1989!

I will never forget my debut in 'proper' football in 1991... St Columb Minor under 11's v. Polkerris. We had thrown together a relatively good side and we were smashed 9-0 at home. I'll never forget the pain or embarrassment. Many of the Polkerris lads ended up playing SWL and a few years later we did manage to salvage a bit of pride with a 4-4 draw!

Playing for Camborne Lions at Barriper in 1984, i was aged 12 then, remember the likes of Alan Roberts, Paul Gadston, Matt Thomas, Craig Bray etc playing for us then, had some excellent players come through from the Lions days!

Also Sammo i remember A division police lol, played against them when i first started mens footy at Camborne Town, think i got the dusty old pics somewhere lol!

Hey Sammo just dug out the old albums lol, here we go for a bit of nostalgia!

13 April 1996

Illogan 7 Porthleven 1

illogan team and squad was me in goal, and select others were, yourself, Jeff Till, Mark Teuton, Matt Thomas, Matt Hendra, Gary Braunton, Ian Bassett, Casey Adams , Alan Roberts, Tony Harris, Kevin Glasson, Neil Jeffree and Simon Terrell

Porthleven Junior School vs St Micheals School, having lost the previous week 16 - 0 at home , as a new lad at the school i had to watch, we then played them away at st micheals and only lost 2-1, i was the new goalkeeper, like to think i made a difference ! played in an around Porthleven ever since.

:clapper: