Cornwall Football Forum

league footballs

Anyone else think that the balls we are told we have to use for league games are terrible????

they are horrible to play with and feel cheap and nasty!! they are like balloons when you kick them but also like bricks when you head them!!

why do we have to use them??? the nike balls last season are a 100x better.

I fully agree. The introduction of the Nike Ball for the last two seasons were quality.

I think its a step backwards. They are like beach balls. They do not move off the foot when you strike it they react in the air. I prefer it when they are all kicked out the ground and they throw a nike ball on.

The Rules say you have to use them!

The orange Nike balls used last year were superior quality but also more expensive (RSP £60): they were only made available last season because Nike had production problems and could not supply the cheaper balls they had promised. Nike were not prepared to offer a similar deal this season.

At least there is consistency in match ball quality - which is why the League insists upon a "common" ball.

my preference is nike balls

seem to move a bit more consistently throuh the air(helps being a keeper)

used to like decent mitre ones but now they seem to have gone a bit light and fly away too

there are some decent adidas ones out there but depending on what model u choose depends on how they move through the air as well, they dont seem to any consistency throughout their range range

Whilst we are on this subject - can anyone out there confirm the ruling on how many match balls have to be provided for a game as most weekends there only seem to be two available and when they both go out of the ground as does happen quite frequently particularly on some grounds and I AM TALKING PENINSULA LEAGUE HERE there either is no back up footballs or if so some refs insist on the original/s being returned even if someone is leaping over the hedge or climbing a tree for it!!!!! why can't there be 3 or even four match balls made available and acceptable to the ref ??????

Interesting this one, but it`s been happening for years I can recall officiating on a league where as is stipulated you used the supplied footballs they were not liked by anybody, the remedy was to at the first chance give the ball the biggest hoof out of the ground possible and then eventually bring on the ones they wanted to play with.

I dont understand how the league can make us use the balls they want us to use!! The facts are that the balls are cheap tat :angry:!! I have yet to speak to a player that has anything good to say about them!dont the players have any say in this or will the bigwigs just do as they please regardless of the players opinions! :unsure: also does the league get any revenue from making us use the crappy balls?cause if they do that might explain why we HAVE to use them! :SM_carton:

i agree with all of the above, the Macron balls are totally rubbish! glad i have retired from being in goal this season however through doing the goalkeepers drills pre match etc for our current keeper the new balls move a lot more than the nikes and have a crap coating on them making them shocking to handle as well, they always seem to sound flat when u kick them as well even though they are inflated to correct pressure!

as for the hoofing the new balls out of the ground and then having the nikes thrown back in, i love that thought but i think i am right in saying that according to the rules this year you are only allowed to use the Macrons and the nike balls shouldnt be used at all, if that is the case, think we should all just break the rules lol :SM_carton:

Seeker - interesting one! At Newquay there's a lot of Macron gear appearing - to be fair the kit is quite nice, although I wouldn't want to go too near any sparks with the training tops as they appear to be more flammable than a scouse shellsuit.

Looks like Macron are an 'up and coming' brand, churning out balls, kits and tracksuits that represent quite good value for money for clubs that may have overdone the old expenses budget!

It seems that the Macron balls are made of the same material as the white tango ball from Subbuteo!

I was at the league agm when they introduced the new ball and held it in my hands and commented on it there and then that they were cheap and nasty. a keeper can tell just by holding a a ball, weight, firmness, coating, etc....

John Mead was correct in his posting about the sponsorship deal as nike could no longer supply at a good enough price.

I personally think that all senior clubs should supply any match ball as long as it is FIFA approved and not the cheaper FIFA Inspected, this would take in Nike, Adidas, Umbro, Puma, Uhlsport amongst many others. I know it is a question of cost but surelly an investment of a £50 ball which would last at least 15 - 20 matches before it started to look faded, is better than a £10 ultimatch that looks knackered sfter its first use. We were lucky at goonhavern to use the nike aerow for two seasons and we had 7 balls which lasted all that time and still looked in good playable condition.

I have noticed alot of clubs in the combination having one mid range new ball and two replacement balls that look like they were brought in a beach shop.

Lets start a campaign to get senior balls to senior clubs..............

Pro soccer direct are doing a bargain of 3 Nike aerow balls (rrp: £60) for £74.99 get in there quick and hoof those macrons over the fence :yahoo:

by the way R & L you should be an expert in hoofing over the fence just pretend your lining up a free kick ...................

Reminds me of prostar if I'm honest! At least they knew to stick to the cheap gear and not get involved with making footballs!

Its quite worrying that the new balls are getting ruined already, surely in the long run it would have just been better to pay for the Nike balls instead of having to replace the macron ones after 10 or so games!

Myself as a keeper think that these new match balls are not bad, when i have been beaten by one its normally after a very good finish. I have managed to hold onto the new match balls very firmly when called into action on crosses etc. They also don't move as much in the air and not as quick as the NIKE balls so i would say they would benefit the keeper more than hinder.

Love all you keepers.