Cornwall Football Forum

County Youth Trials

Tommy I hope that the trials went well. I trust that you have been able to select your squad and no doubt you will let us know. I was disappointed to hear that one of our Newquay boys was ommited because he was considered too small. My son seems to be suffering from a similar point of view from the Argyle coaches. The lad in question is rather small but he has electrifying pace, has two good feet and a great temperament. I would be interested to see your comments if in fact my understanding is correct. In this great week for English football one only has to look at Theo Walcott, who is far from the tallest or physically strong players, to see that there are other qualities that players can possess other than strength and still be successful. All the best for you and your squad this year.

Last night's trial was very difficult with a lot of players all of a similar ability all vying for the same position.

We haven't finished the trials yet and the squad is far from being finalised.

I'm not sure who the player is you're referring to and I wouldn't discuss his details in public in any case but there were some small players playing for us last year and there will be some more this year, so that wouldn't necessarily be the sole factor.

I made myself available to all players after each trial so that they could talk to me if they needed a reason for not being selected. Many took me up on the offer and I took as much time as they needed to talk through their position.

I was disappointed to hear that one of our Newquay boys was ommited because he was considered too small.

Just send him down to your local KFC. It worked for me!!

Hi Tommy, will you have any of your matches on a friday/sunday. I know it has logistical difficulties, but it would be great to take in game and see what and how your side play. If not I suppose its a hope that we play friday when you have a saturday match.

Cheers

Guest Peppermint

Interesting point about being too small. I seem to remember reading that George Best and Denis Law were rejected at one stage for being too small but they turned out to be great footballers becuase someone took a chance and looked at their ability not their size.

Obviously I know who this refers to and it is disappointing because he has electric pace and a good football brain. Perhaps he should take heart and learn from the stories of Law and Best - they certainly did alright.

Hi James

It's unlikely we'll have any games other than a Saturday, but if you can make it we'd love to see you. Thanks for your support.

I've told all the players the same story, that just because you're not picked now, you might still be a better player in 2 years time than those who were chosen. Players develop at different ages, and Jamie Carragher is a typical example of a scrawny lad when he was a youth team player with Liverpool, and look at what he achieved!

I've watched Truro's Peninsular league team play a couple of times now. They're a young side with just a few older heads there as well. They like to play "football" but still lack the physicality of other sides in their league, and in the games I've seen, that's been the key difference. However, when they come of age, they'll have a fantastic group with experience beyond their years. You Just need time and patience.

We also need to take into account that if someone was dropped in the deep end when they weren't quite ready, what could that do to their confidence should things go horribly wrong? There are lots of things that come into the equation when picking the side and we aim to give all the players the best opportunity and learning experience we can.

One player I can recall was playing well and regularly for a combination league side a couple of years ago. We knew he'd be a good player but needed more game time experience. We eventually gave him his debut against Devon for about 15 minutes and he came off astonished by the pace of the game. He played a full season the next year and was outstanding for us.

Tommy I understand that Trevor Mewton was at last night's trial. I recall that Trevor was involved with Ray Nicholls and the full County squad last year, but didn't believe that the full County team existed this season. I also understand that you and Trevor were in discussions during the trial and wondered what involvement Trevor had with the County Youth team this year? Thanks.

Lack of interest from other counties caused by a variety of reasons one being the difficulties getting players released for games when clubs couldn't cancel. Ray was keen to continue but you have to have teams to play against and Devon and The Navy were just about all that were left from what I can gather.

Really sad because for me playing for Cornwall was a massive honour.

Well done to the below-named : Cornwall Youth Teams - Trial for the Cornwall Youth Team 2008-09

The following players have been invited back for a second trial

Ashley Taylor

Liam Sandercock

Daryl Johnsone

Kieren Conibear

Will Davey

Tom Wood

Liam Nicholls

Billy Hopcroft

Anton Lake

Dan Evans

Adam Sleep

Ben Douglas

Ollie Gibson

Jacob Nicholl

Lewis Young

Tom Graham

Ben Hurst

Neil Slateford

Rob Rosevear

CAN YOU HELP WITH IDENTIFYING WHICH SENIOR CLUBS THEY PLAY FOR PLEASE?

The date and venue for the next trial is still to be arranged. David Bray, the County Youth Secretary, would like to thank everyone who attended the recent trials.

Cornwall Youth team is in The FA County Youth Cup for 2008-2009. The First Round tie away to Berks and Bucks FA is at Thatcham on Satruday 11th October 2008. Kick Off 1pm. Should Cornwall win, they will face Hertfordshire or Worcestershire in the Second Round (by 16th November 2008)

I THINK JOSH HARRIS AND TOM LYME SHOULD BE GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY BOTH HAVE BIG FUTURES AHEAD OF THEM......

JOSH PACEY SKILFUL AND REALLY QUICK

TOM GREAT YOUNG KEEPER DEFENATE ONE FOR THE FUTURE

Well done to the below-named : Cornwall Youth Teams - Trial for the Cornwall Youth Team 2008-09

The following players have been invited back for a second trial

Ashley Taylor

Liam Sandercock

Daryl Johnsone

Kieren Conibear

Will Davey

Tom Wood

Liam Nicholls

Billy Hopcroft

Anton Lake

Dan Evans

Adam Sleep

Ben Douglas

Ollie Gibson

Jacob Nicholl

Lewis Young

Tom Graham

Ben Hurst

Neil Slateford

Rob Rosevear

CAN YOU HELP WITH IDENTIFYING WHICH SENIOR CLUBS THEY PLAY FOR PLEASE?

The date and venue for the next trial is still to be arranged. David Bray, the County Youth Secretary, would like to thank everyone who attended the recent trials.

Cornwall Youth team is in The FA County Youth Cup for 2008-2009. The First Round tie away to Berks and Bucks FA is at Thatcham on Satruday 11th October 2008. Kick Off 1pm. Should Cornwall win, they will face Hertfordshire or Worcestershire in the Second Round (by 16th November 2008)

liam nicholls plays for foxhole! and will be a quality striker!!! :D