Cornwall Football Forum

CLUB CHAIRMAN

In these days of "Chequebook Chairmen" I wonder: is the position of Club Chairman a position of respect to be looked up to by members of the club at all levels from youth to senior, or is it merely a trophy title to be bandied around by wealthy men who know that Cornish clubs need financial input to survive and progress?

I would hope it is the first option as his is the way it should be. If I am wrong and it is the second choice is it right that our cherished clubs are being run by people who's interest doesn't lie in the roots of the game or the service it provides for the local community? :c:

(and before allforone starts jumping in this is NOT a dig at Truro City! :) )

Guest Peppermint

Interesting posting and hopefully some Chairmen will respond.

This is my response, as a Chairman of a CSWPL club, and someone whose wife is very reluctant to let me loose with the cheque book. I and I am sure other Chairmen are not wealthy people but am glad to get involved with my local football club. Of course I am proud to be associated with Newquay Football Club but as Chairman I rely on a great number of hard working Committeee members who carry out a lot of tasks for no reward.

I am sure a lot of clubs would welcome sponsors and others who would pump money into clubs but at the end of the day it is down to the sheer hard work of a great number of dedicated people who spend hours of their time keeping their respective clubs running.

I deem it a great honour to be associated with a club that has a long and distinguished record and with our new managers hopefully the club will eventually return to winning the odd trophy.

Guest Peppermint

On reflection and my previous posting I would also add that it is certainly not a dig at Truro City or Mr Heaney.

I have met Kevin and he seems genuinely interested in football and he has the finance to help Truro City so good luck to him and his Club. I am sure anyone of us would not refuse financial help from someone and if I win the lottery on Saturday Newquay may benefit [i hope the wife does not read this].

Guest postman pat

as chairman of TITANS FC. i feel honoured to represent my club, i also feel it is up to the chairman of the club to try and set the standards from top to bottom.i also feel a chairman is only as good as the team around him/her.i am emencely proud of my committee and club.

i know we are a new club this is only our second season but ,already we have made lots of friends in the footballing community win,lose or draw.

i think the only reason that mr heaneys name is always mentioned when this sort of topic is brought up is that WE are all jealouse of Truro city and wish we could have our own millionaire.

good luck to TRURO CITY and long may it last (lucky b******s) :P:c::drink: :thumbsup:

Please don't mistake my comment in my original post, it is just that as soon as anyone mentions financial backers of local clubs comments start to fly along the lines of "Oh I suppose you're having a dig at Kevin Heaney and Truro City" which I am not. My question is a general one not aimed at any one club. I must also apologise to Mandy Kimmins for my use of the term "Chairman" as I know she is a most capable Chairwoman at St Agnes :D

On reflection and my previous posting I would also add that it is certainly not a dig at Truro City or Mr Heaney.

I have met Kevin and he seems genuinely interested in football and he has the finance to help Truro City so good luck to him and his Club. I am sure anyone of us would not refuse financial help from someone and if I win the lottery on Saturday Newquay may benefit [i hope the wife does not read this].

Being well aware of your (lack of) ability at mathematics, I don't think that you, your wife or Newquay football club should worry about anything changing in the near future.

Odds of 13 million to 1 against, ain't going to trouble the bookies.

(The Lottery - a tax against the mathematically inept.)

Guest Peppermint

Thanks Bill - your piece of advice came too late because I have already purchased the lottery tickets for tomorrow's draw. At least if I did win I can tear up and ignore your begging letter!

My mathematical ability or lack of it in your opinion is shared by my wife so I am seldom allowed near the cheque book.