Cornwall Football Forum

stithians v penryn4ths

chopper70

stithians 1-0 penryn well where do i start? a perfectly good game of football ruined by a ref who wanted to take center stage! he sent off 2 penryn players for swearing at the opposition . 1 was when a stithians player kicked the ball away and the penryn player called him a f##king nob. this was the first time he had sworn and without warning gets a straight red. the second was when a penryn player went down the wing the stithians player slides in and puts the ball out for a corner. no complaints from the penryn player as hes on the floor the stithians player says get the f##k up. the penryn player tells the stithians player to f off and gets a rad card no booking for the stithians player. with penryn holding on stithians get a late goal. but what im trying to say is everyone swears a few times in a game and now these two young lads miss 4 or 5 games of footy because the ref couldnt use common sense .im sure the stithians boys would back me up here . dont no who the ref was but i hope i dont have him with the amount of swearing in senior football there would be no players left. what do you guys think of his actions?

l

When both players swore it was not in a malicious way. Their players were just as shocked as ours when they got sent off. As for enforcing the rules he wants to learn them first, their player handled the ball and he gave an indirect free kick. If every player was sent off for swearing there would be players off in every game!

I think, from the events you've described that the referee tried to enforce the Laws of the Game :SM_carton:

maybe, but that is taking it too far!!!!!

who got sent off then?

Law 12- taken from the FIFA website

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player

commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his

own penalty area)

therefore the ref deemed it to not be deliberate!!

as long as the ref deemed the decision to be correct I don't think there is anyone anything can do about it and moaning on here trying to get some bloke who gives up his weekends to let you play the sport you love is not the right way to go about it!

Sending-off Offences

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any

of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play

• violent conduct

• spitting at an opponent or any other person

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring

opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply

to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent

moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a

free kick or a penalty kick

using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

• receiving a second caution in the same match

Does that answer your question??

It was a delibrate handball but the ref said all handballs are indirect. Plus if its not delibrate the ref does not normally give a free kick anyway. They didnt shout the first was said as a joke and both the players laughed. It was not aimed at a ref and the words that were said are said in every game! There players swore and no action was taken.

Common sense has got to be used, that rule has always been in place but you cant send off every player that swears. If it is aimed at the ref or in a malicius way then I agree the players should then be sent off.

So you have never seen a free kick given for handball which is ball to hand but is deemed to have stopped an attacking play or with the ball hitting their hand they have gained an advantage. We have all seen it on here and thats why only 2 people have a counter argument against this ref because everyone else is joining in the respect campaign!! It's one thing to moan about a ref on the saturday when you're on the pitch in frustration, we all do it, some aloud, some under their breaths but to come on and openly complain about the bloke is a bit far!!!

Having been sent off for swearing I think I can comment on this. If it is abusing an official then fair shout the guy has to walk, no question. If it is at an opponent depending on the context and way it is said then I think a word and maybe a yellow. If someone screams out in frustration ie a poor shot then I just think a little word will suffice. If it is becoming regular and there is kids around then something needs to be done and I think you can tell the refs who have played the game a mile off by the way they handle these things, they understand the passion thats involved during a game and know how to handle the situation. If this ref sends someone off for calling someone a ***** then the CCFA are going to make a fortune from the guy!!!

As for swaring at a team mate I still say thats Steve Badgers fault for not tracking his man, lazy bastard :lol:

Understand what your saying there but if someone gets sent off for calling someone a f**king ***** that costs him £25 and will miss 35 days of football, depending what time of year that can be 8 or 9 games. If the guy screamed it across the pitch then fair dues but seems was only a few yards away, surely a yellow for ungentlemanly conduct would suffice, if im honest Id be unhappy with that!

We all play cos we love to play and work hard all week to have a good crack during the game, does a bit of banter really warrant the above punishments. In the same way our game shouldnt be ruined by some dickhead trying to break legs it shouldnt be ruined by an over eager ref who thinks he is big time!

Where does this come from - the idea that non-deliberate handball is some sort of offence? I suspect that the bloody TV pundits are to blame!

If the ball hits a players hand and he doesn't intend it to, it doesn't matter what the ball or the game does IT ISN"T AN OFFENCE.

The closest is in golf "the rub of the green" - tough luck!

If a ball hits a player's hand, or if it bounces of the ref, if that causes someone to score or causes them to fail to score, so it goes. Get on with the game.

One my career best quotes, from a young referee who went on to be a top assessor. "I know it was accidental, but it was a penalty." WRONG!

Where does this come from - the idea that non-deliberate handball is some sort of offence? I suspect that the bloody TV pundits are to blame!

If the ball hits a players hand and he doesn't intend it to, it doesn't matter what the ball or the game does IT ISN"T AN OFFENCE.

The closest is in golf "the rub of the green" - tough luck!

If a ball hits a player's hand, or if it bounces of the ref, if that causes someone to score or causes them to fail to score, so it goes. Get on with the game.

One my career best quotes, from a young referee who went on to be a top assessor. "I know it was accidental, but it was a penalty." WRONG!

Which Country you in now Bill??? How long till you get back applying your trade with Crowntown????? :c:

Guest Roberts

referee sounds like he was on a complete powertrip!

i know this whole respect thing has been brought in,

which is good, but you have to question why players and managers are

so frustrated with referees!

i dont really rate any ref's ive had this season

actually, that nigel guy did ok!

but we had the big guy with a beard on saturday

youre not even aloud to talk to him, i dont mean shout and query his discisions,

i mean, youre not even aloud to ask "ref, have u stopped the watch or how long is left in the game"

also i knocked the balls over the keeper and had the worst tackle i ever encountered!

and he said goal kick, its just common sense really, in most cases!!!

as u can tell refs are a touchy subject with me!

sorry bout spelling, im a media student and dnt write much

sounds like a joke, referees want to take tackles more seriously, i know i fly in like a man possesed

sometimes, because i know the refs let you get away with it 2 or 3 times, to be quite honest

i dont know how i havent been sent off yet. but as they say in french cest la vie.

another game saturday probably another booking, hey ho petite filous.

If the ref feels it to be a sending off then it,s a sending off he,s in charge. you are there to play the game! I reffed wendron and fal ath res last monday neither team saw their own players commit a foul or at least i did,nt hear them appeal for their opponents to have a freekick.each ref interprets rules slightly different, some are stricter than others.

Guest plonker

had it in my game a refereed on saturday a player kept on swearing itold him to tone it done about 4-5 times so after that i gave the home team a indirect freekick where sayed it and it was just out side the box ,as it was not directed any one so need for a card

Guest postman pat

have you ever tried to referee a game of football <_< .if not you should try it and then come on here and let off steam.beleive me its not easy to be wrong all the time. :c:

had it in my game a refereed on saturday a player kept on swearing itold him to tone it done about 4-5 times so after that i gave the home team a indirect freekick where sayed it and it was just out side the box ,as it was not directed any one so need for a card

I hope you didn't?

referee sounds like he was on a complete powertrip!

i know this whole respect thing has been brought in,

which is good, but you have to question why players and managers are

so frustrated with referees!

i dont really rate any ref's ive had this season

actually, that nigel guy did ok!

but we had the big guy with a beard on saturday

youre not even aloud to talk to him, i dont mean shout and query his discisions,

i mean, youre not even aloud to ask "ref, have u stopped the watch or how long is left in the game"

also i knocked the balls over the keeper and had the worst tackle i ever encountered!

and he said goal kick, its just common sense really, in most cases!!!

as u can tell refs are a touchy subject with me!

sorry bout spelling, im a media student and dnt write much

that was a cruncher joe!

Putting the embarrassing lack of knowledge on the rules of football on here to one side for a second, I just thought I'd add my views on what happened at the home of football last night.

I'm not exactly averse to the odd swear word myself but when the referee warns both captains before the game that you'll be sent off for swearing please have some humility to accept it when you're stupid enough to get caught. Furthermore, when one of your players has already been sent off for swearing, surely you Penryn guys have got to look at your own players, who need to take some responsibility for their own actions? Yes, it wasn't for a leg breaking tackle or threatening to take someone's head off but you've already been warned that you'll be sent off for swearing, why whinge when you get pulled up for it?!

Oh, and a massive well done to all those 'men' who surrounded the teenage ref at the end of the game trying to intimidate and make him feel like a piece of crap. The guy was blatantly distraught after the game but you couldn't let it go. You'll be the same guys complaining on here when you've got no ref next week. I fully understand that some refereeing decisions can be frustrating, but hopefully in the light of day you'll realise that this is no way to treat a young lad who is trying his best to allow us to play a game of football.

Slagging him off on a public forum? Very classy, but if we're going down that road I'd like to give a special mention to the lad who ran the line for Penryn for the last 5 minutes. When the ball went out about 5 yards from where he was standing he was giving the referee a right earful about the ball going out, but didn't think to raise his flag to let everyone know that it had done so! Brilliant.

There are some very good people at Penryn, but the way some of their players and representatives acted last night was disappointing. I just hope that ref is not put off from turning up at the weekend.

Nobody swore at the ref even after the game we were just asking him to explain why he sent our players off and not some of theres who did the same thing. Was it because there player who swore at ours was older and a lot bigger than him, where as our player was only 16? If he would have sent their players off too I would not have had a problem with it. I just think refs should be consistent and know the rules. As well as the handball incident one of their players took a throw in and their player passed the ball back to him and he was offside and the linesman gave it and the ref said he could not be offside as he had just taken the throw in. I would not like to ref myself and think that most refs do a fantastic job and everyone makes mistakes but surely they should know the rules of the game.

swearing out of frustration is a really hard thing to keep down,i completly understand all the rules for abbusive language but i do think most referees will have a bit of common sense and not dive straight in with cards but just have a quick word which most people will take note of. i think people get a little bit too over worried with bad language,its not like its a knee high tackle! :SM_carton:

I agree, the stithians player said to me, get up you f***ing ****...with the ref standing right next to him, (i was just minding my own business at the time) i replyed to him f*off, and i get a striaght red, no card or a talk to for the stithians player.

The ref ruined a very tence and entertaining game of football.

Tough one to judge but here's my thoughts...

In the past i've seen players:

- sent off the first time they used foul language that wasn't directed at anyone

- sent off for swearing at a player of the opposition

- sent off for swearing at one of their own players

- sent off for swearing at either bench

- sent off for swearing at a spectator

- sent off for swearing at match officials

- carded for all of the above

- receive no consequence for all of the above.

The problem is that the FA clearly state that swearing on a football pitch will result in a red card but it's rarely enforced! Something else that causes problems is the inconsistence between different referees. Some tolerate it if they can see the player is frustated with themselves and it's not directed towards anyone (either card if directed), others it seems that it is their pet hate and enforce the strictest penalties for doing it.

Lots of referees speak to the teams before the match and lay down what they can expect from them, and what the referee expects from the team. Quite often they will mention swearing whether it be one warning then the cards are coming out or it's not going to be tolerated at all. Either way the ref has to keep to their word or whats the point of mentioning it.

I don't know if refs have been told to punish swearing hard this season but already there are a lot of fines going the FA's way for this partuicular offence.

Either way it is a red card offence so there's not much you can do about it, although i can see the frustration in one player getting sent off and the other not.

think the problem here is consistency

seems one rule for one and one for another

dont think the guys would have had a problem if all players who swore were sent off

am i correct there guys??

open your mouth and shout something obscene and you should be sent from the field

only red card of my career was for that after someone called me a stupid F****** C***, i replied to him F*** OFF and was promptly given my marching orders, felt hard done by as the other guy stayed on the pitch even though the ref had heard both us.

i hate people who swear at football as very often i take my kids to watch so its not the sort of thing i want them hearing!

CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY HERE. AS WE KNOW A PLAYER GETS INJURED IN FOOTBALL LEAGUE HE LEAVES PITCH DOWN HERE OBV NOT. THEN I ASKED THE REF Y THIS WASNT CARRIED OUT HE TOLD ME FOR GOD SAKE THIS AINT THE PREM LEAGUE AND ON MY PITCH ITS MY RULES! THIS SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUES DOWN HERE TO MANY MEN IN BLACK TRYIN TO RUIN ARE BELOVED GAME AND LANGUAGE WELL IS IT HARD TO GIVE A WARNING AND A QUICK CHAT SAYING OK NEXT TIME YOUR OFF!! ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE SO WHY ARE PEOPLE MAKING IT SO HARD!! THERES GOT 2 B A CONSISTANCY LEVEL THROUGH OUT FOOTBALL!! SO AT THE MOMENT ITS :SM_carton: TO REFS WHO THINK THEY BIGGER THAN THE BELOVED GAME!

At the end of the day its different rules/laws for different leagues/players, and if someone tells me otherwise, then they're lying through their back teeth.

I've watched plenty of SWL football and the level higher, and the amount of stick that the benches and the players give refs and lino's is far more than what you can get away with at Junior Level. At the higher level the players are higher than the refs at lower levels some refs think they're higher than the players!!

CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY HERE. AS WE KNOW A PLAYER GETS INJURED IN FOOTBALL LEAGUE HE LEAVES PITCH DOWN HERE OBV NOT. THEN I ASKED THE REF Y THIS WASNT CARRIED OUT HE TOLD ME FOR GOD SAKE THIS AINT THE PREM LEAGUE AND ON MY PITCH ITS MY RULES! THIS SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUES DOWN HERE TO MANY MEN IN BLACK TRYIN TO RUIN ARE BELOVED GAME AND LANGUAGE WELL IS IT HARD TO GIVE A WARNING AND A QUICK CHAT SAYING OK NEXT TIME YOUR OFF!! ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE SO WHY ARE PEOPLE MAKING IT SO HARD!! THERES GOT 2 B A CONSISTANCY LEVEL THROUGH OUT FOOTBALL!! SO AT THE MOMENT ITS :SM_carton: TO REFS WHO THINK THEY BIGGER THAN THE BELOVED GAME!

The same could be said for some of the players too! :SM_carton:

And you think this is fair that these two young lads miss 35 days of football and a £25 fine for saying f*off? ...its abit over the top dont you think?

if the ref said swear and your off then yeah thats fair.

Suppose you think it would be fair if the mrs told you she is gonna take £30 quid from you and ground you for a month if you swear in any way around the house then when you smack your thumb with a hammer you swear thats it punished end of. Sometimes its just a human reaction to swear! If someone tells me to f**k off im gonna say it straight back if I mess up the chances are I will swear in frustration. Was the Stithian player or the ref or the fans really that offended by it, I very much doubt it.

With things like swearing I honestly think the ref can use common sense. I swore in frustration few years back at a ref "I got the f**king ball ref" he looked at me said carry on and walk or shut up. I apologised said what I felt again he disagreed and gave the free kick. I then thanked him for being decent about it and we got on with game and all was well. This is a great example of a decent ref who had played the game and understood the passion involved not a power hungry everybody look at me now cos I have ALL the power .

You can spot them a mile off! They are the one's who by the letter no common sense and some even go in the changing room before a game and give it the big I am. Dont wish to have a go as we all know we cant play without them but some dont half get on my boobies, as Im sure us players do the refs.

And you think this is fair that these two young lads miss 35 days of football and a £25 fine for saying f*off? ...its abit over the top dont you think?

if the ref said swear and your off then yeah thats fair.

Suppose you think it would be fair if the mrs told you she is gonna take £30 quid from you

I don't have a Mrs :P

Seems to me this young lad tried his best to do something and all his got is slagged off because in your opinions he did something wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. How would you like it if the ref went around pointing out every mistake you made in their opinion, and the came on a puplic forum telling everyone how c**p you where and that you shouldn't be playing football. Give the ref a break, he might be newly qualified and might of only done a couple of games. I can understand people being fustrated with things not going their way, but leave it on the pitch. :smiley20:

It was clear that this ref had never been good enough to actualy play the game himself, therefore he hasnt experianced the passion of what you go through in a game, swearing has allways been part of the game and it will be near impossible to take it out.

Personaly i like refs that have played the game and understand the emotions you go through.

swearing out of frustration is a really hard thing to keep down,i completly understand all the rules for abbusive language but i do think most referees will have a bit of common sense and not dive straight in with cards but just have a quick word which most people will take note of. i think people get a little bit too over worried with bad language,its not like its a knee high tackle! :SM_carton:

Absolutely. Gulval had a freekick last night against Halestown and one of the players struck it quite sweetly, the keeper spilled it and after a little scramble, the ball was put in the back of the net. The ref disallowed the goal and left those of us on the sideline scratching our heads trying to figure out why the strike was not allowed. It turned out that after the Gulval player struck the ball, he SAID "follow the fu**ing thing in". I say he SAID it because NOBODY on the side line heard a single thing, so he could not have shouted it.

It's worth pointing out that this disallowed goal came right on the stroke of halftime and the goal MAY have allowed Gulval back into the match or atleast given them something more positive to think about going into the second half?.. The player that took the freekick was already frustrated with how the evening was panning out and he was just venting his frustration at his players and telling them to follow the shot up. If NOBODY on the sidelines heard anything, surely common sense should have prevailed?.

Maybe the referee was inexperienced but he has felt that both of the players used foul and abusive language so sent them off.

As to referees need playing experience I think you are wrong. All referees need is a little common sense and an understanding mind. One example of a referee who has never had much playing experience is 25 year old Stuart Atwell who has just starting refereeing on the Premier League.

At the end of the day its different rules/laws for different leagues/players, and if someone tells me otherwise, then they're lying through their back teeth.

I've watched plenty of SWL football and the level higher, and the amount of stick that the benches and the players give refs and lino's is far more than what you can get away with at Junior Level.

ABSOLUTELY 100% AGREE DARREN. :clapper:

Oh, and a massive well done to all those 'men' who surrounded the teenage ref at the end of the game trying to intimidate and make him feel like a piece of crap. The guy was blatantly distraught after the game but you couldn't let it go. You'll be the same guys complaining on here when you've got no ref next week. I fully understand that some refereeing decisions can be frustrating, but hopefully in the light of day you'll realise that this is no way to treat a young lad who is trying his best to allow us to play a game of football.

Slagging him off on a public forum? Very classy, but if we're going down that road I'd like to give a special mention to the lad who ran the line for Penryn for the last 5 minutes. When the ball went out about 5 yards from where he was standing he was giving the referee a right earful about the ball going out, but didn't think to raise his flag to let everyone know that it had done so! Brilliant.

There are some very good people at Penryn, but the way some of their players and representatives acted last night was disappointing. I just hope that ref is not put off from turning up at the weekend.

A sensible and constructive post :clapper:

I would not like to ref myself and think that most refs do a fantastic job and everyone makes mistakes but surely they should know the rules of the game.

I'm sure your correct, there probably are refs offficiating without being totally competent in the rules of the game Dan, and also a huge number of players who have'nt a clue either, it becomes slightly demoralising having to constantly explain why you've given a paticular decision. :wacko:

I do think you should give refereeing ago though,its not easy, you might then be able to say, Yes he got a few things wrong but did his very best :unsure:

Coopsie - Are you saying that because no-one on the touchlines heard a comment that it is acceptable?

Would you expect the referee to go across to the touchlines to ask spectators whether they heard a comment or not?

There are a number of comments which are said in a game which the spectators do not hear and you as a player of some repute would be aware of that.

THIS SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUES DOWN HERE TO MANY MEN IN BLACK TRYIN TO RUIN ARE BELOVED GAME

TO REFS WHO THINK THEY BIGGER THAN THE BELOVED GAME!

What will ruin our beloved game are idiots who think it's o.k. to criticise refs to the point where they give up.

I cannot believe the stupidity of players who think that they have the right to belittle, bully and slag off the people that they pay to make the decisions that they disagree with! Bloody crackers.

The whole game is suffering because it's become normal to argue about decisions. We have threads arguing whether the referee made the right decision or not. What a load of crap! Whatever decision he makes, with the information, view he gets is, by definition, the right one. That's why he's there!

Until the attitude changes we'll struggle to get good men to get out of bed for a few quid and a slagging off - and the game suffers.

Jamie C - you sound like you think that you're "bigger than the game."

Do much refereeing yourself? Just to help out like.