Cornwall Football Forum

ANOTHER REF PACKING UP..?

Any truth in the rumour that the man who was in the middle in the Cornish New Boys V Madron game is thinking of packing up the whistle .? I heard that he's had enough after getting dogs abuse from the Madron player/ manager.?

How many more do we need to lose , before the penny drops.?

That is sad news!

Speaking to Alan Wallace earlier in the week he was 27 refs short for this weekend......not a good situation.!!! Maybe its time for clubs to get a bit tougher with players who are persistent offenders (and yes i know im no saint either.....maybe we could start a Ref Rehab???)

Sorry if I offend anyone, firstly we need to fully support referees but as a ref myself, I think some officials need to start to man up, players aswell!

You only get situation's like that if you allow it to happen. When I officiate a match, Im in charge of the game, I lay down the law, if players start to put hard tackles in, I blow up bring the players over have a chat about play good football make them shake hands and get on with it. I've taken on Iraqi insurgents, I consider people shouting their mouths off becuase they didnt get a freekick in football petty.

If you get serious abuse as a ref get the red card out, send your report in and allow the FA to deal with it. Clubs will soon learn (mine including)!

THIS IS BOLLOCKS. What the hell is a good official doing even contemplating giving up because of Alan bloody Davenport. The guy is extremely opinionated and shouts none stop and can be extremely annoying to opposing players and officials. To be fair though, he isn't too bad as a person off the pitch and he just loves Madron.

If Soccer Follower or Anita or any other official that uses this site can get hold of the referee in question, please do so and tell him that Cornish football NEEDS him. Dickheads like Alan Davenport (when on the pitch or the sideline, NOT as a person) will always be doing their best to intimidate an official and ruin opposing teams afternoons by their constant whining and abuse. However, they are not needed and do not have to be tolerated.

I'm sure that after a few revealing match reports by visiting officials sent to the necessary governing body, people such as Alan Davenport will atleast be muzzled, if not banned altogether from being near a football pitch.

Would I be correct in believing that the official in question is a Mr Christian Hall?. IF this is indeed the official in question and any of you know him and are able to contact him, tell him to forget about what was said to him and get his black uniform back on because WE ALL NEED HIM.

If we are talking about christian here, i know he reads the forum and hope he reconsiders giving up the whistle. One of the best young referee's in the league, and a lovely bloke off the field too.

I know nothing about what happened in this particular case but, its about time the CCFA came down hard on these persistant offenders or if they don't want to deal with it, hand it over to the police. If things like this happened in the street we'd be looking at GBH and a meeting with a judge! :SM_carton:

We all like a bit of a rant at the ref when things go against us, i don't think you'll ever change that, but we must also treat them with respect, they are human after all.

If your reading this Chris, i hope your back on the list soon. :c:

If we are talking about christian here, i know he reads the forum and hope he reconsiders giving up the whistle. One of the best young referee's in the league, and a lovely bloke off the field too.

I know nothing about what happened in this particular case but, its about time the CCFA came down hard on these persistant offenders or if they don't want to deal with it, hand it over to the police. If things like this happened in the street we'd be looking at GBH and a meeting with a judge! :SM_carton:

We all like a bit of a rant at the ref when things go against us, i don't think you'll ever change that, but we must also treat them with respect, they are human after all.

If your reading this Chris, i hope your back on the list soon. :c:

Here Here :clapper:

Guest Cornish NB's No6

The original referee for the match didnt turn up & never informed us if he had been called to another game, we were fortunate that the Ref in question came along to watch our game and instead of using one of our own players to officate as the Madron team were at bear 11, we asked him if he would do the job as being a qualified & very good referee himself.

The Ref in question was receiving constant back chat from the away team, and in particular a couple of players who didnt agree with his decisions all game long, but he used the appropriate action needed and officiated to the standard we received in matches last season.

I dont think for 1 minute though the petty back chat from certain players that day has affected him on his decision whether to pack up or not.

Coopsie you got the correct referee & i hope he doesnt pack it up top bloke on and off the field

Cornish NB's No6, Thanks for letting me know I got the right official. The guy that apparantly was causing the most trouble for the official is around 50 years old with a Magnum PI moustache, strong northern accent and probably with as much jewellery as Mr T.. Believe me the guy is a menace (on the pitch or sideline, NOT off the pitch) and is constantly on every official's back.

Guest Cornish NB's No6

yeah thats the bloke & rightly got his marching orders. Think he was more wound up with the fact they short on numbers & he had to play aswell.

He even tried to start shouting at the 2 chaps running the line & both from our squad due to them being short.

Although after the match they were all friendly enough

Yes,you had the right name,Coopsie.

I was speaking to him prior to the Holmans v Illogan match on Tuesday and he told me that he is not refereeing at the moment,explaining his reasons,the Cornish New Boys v Madron match,i think,was the final straw (as Mr.Manning said previously).

Christian does contribute to this forum,in an impartial way,so i'm sure that he will read these notes.

If you need to,Christian,take a break,watch a few matches,recharge your batteries and come back stronger.You and i have talked many times and you know that consider that you are a very good referee,as others have said too,don't be lost to refereeing.We cannot afford to lose good people like yourself.

Christain is a top ref and an top bloke to match. I hope that he has enjoyed officiating at Storm during pre-season as we all respected him and praised his performances.

However, I chatted to him a couple of weeks ago and he had suggested that he may take a break from referee duties but that it was not going to be a permanent thing. My reaction was of surprise, as the rest of the posts on here are too. But after listening to his decision I respect exactly why he is doing ti and hope that he can be involved in the game somehow.

Maybe get the boots out and have a game Chris?

Pricey

Really appreciate the positive comments guys, if only you were as nice on the pitch :P

Having had a very tough Summer off the pitch I found I was'nt in the right frame of mind to continue refereeing, so a couple of weeks ago informed Mr Wallace I would'nt be available to officiate for a while.

I'm glad I reffed the match on Saturday, but really did'nt enjoy it, and that was the case for a number of the games I officiated during the Summer!

For the time being I'm happy to watch a few games, and hopefully learn abit from the many good refs out there, and then return to Junior Football, where most sides just appreciate having a Referee :thumbsup:

Good decision Gorgie, no point at all if you are not enjoying it, take that break and in a short while hopefully you will be back with your enthusiasm renewed. I found out last weekend what the respect campaign is all about, I have to put up with all the usual abuse but then have the home teams player/manager keep shouting at me I have to show "respect".

Guest chinner

just a final word on chris,in my eyes and many others he is surely one of the best refs in junior football,not only this he is one of the nicest blokes you could meet.its a shame when people like this go out of the game,not only have we lost a top ref it means the village idiots from that little place outside penzance have once again spoilt our game,surely soon the ccfa will send an official to watch these idiots play and then act.

I hope you dont stop Reffing Christian,I have only met you the once that was at Wendron when we did a pre match warm up together before our matches and judging by the comments you have recieved on the Forum you have proved to be a very well liked Official (not easy that mate) and well respected by all of the posters. :clapper:

Not the easiest job in the world Reffing,and we all have our moments when you think `is this all worth it`especially when you have the misfortune to be on the recieving end of abuse from irate players,managers and supporters,and then have to read on this Forum that you or one of your colleagues has had a shocking game and shouldnt be Reffing.

All I will say is take a look at all the positives that genuine football people have to say about you and your fellow Refs and try to forget all the negatives because at the end of the day the decent people (and there are loads of them out there) deserve honest and dedicated Officials like yourself mate. :smiley20:

Would be interested to see if anyone from Madron can comment on Saturdays events ? :angry2:

Really appreciate the positive comments guys, if only you were as nice on the pitch :P

Having had a very tough Summer off the pitch I found I was'nt in the right frame of mind to continue refereeing, so a couple of weeks ago informed Mr Wallace I would'nt be available to officiate for a while.

I'm glad I reffed the match on Saturday, but really did'nt enjoy it, and that was the case for a number of the games I officiated during the Summer!

For the time being I'm happy to watch a few games, and hopefully learn abit from the many good refs out there, and then return to Junior Football, where most sides just appreciate having a Referee :thumbsup:

Will be great to see you back mate. You are a pleasure to meet.

The guy that apparantly was causing the most trouble for the official is around 50 years old with a Magnum PI moustache, strong northern accent and probably with as much jewellery as Mr T..

:clapper::clapper::yahoo:

i like this! represents a spitting image!

gr8 news

It really is like that isn't it.. I'm off to give myself a pat on the back :P ..

Seriously though Gorgie, do what's best for you and remember that there are some of us players that actually have a fair amount of respect for you and your fellow officials (apart from Robin Gregory :angry: ). Whatever decision you come to, we all understand that the referee's decision is final ;)

Guest postman pat

get back to reffing georgie then you can get paid mileage for all the games you go to. it must be costing you a fortune with all the games you are watching at present :P:c: top bloke.you can always run the line for us everygame :clapper: no seriously football needs refs like you mate,come back soon :clapper:

The guy that apparantly was causing the most trouble for the official is around 50 years old with a Magnum PI moustache, strong northern accent and probably with as much jewellery as Mr T..

:clapper::clapper::yahoo:

i like this! represents a spitting image!

gr8 news

It really is like that isn't it.. I'm off to give myself a pat on the back :P ..

Seriously though Gorgie, do what's best for you and remember that there are some of us players that actually have a fair amount of respect for you and your fellow officials (apart from Robin Gregory :angry: ). Whatever decision you come to, we all understand that the referee's decision is final ;)

a much earned pat on the bak..........well done

Its not fair christian should be suffering this, i have partnerd christian on so many occasions as being an assistant Official, Im a qualified Linesman for ILlogan RBL and i do combo games. It makes me sick when plays/fans give abuse towards us.

i Have seen players in the past give christian an ear full for making the right descion. Christian was talking with me before the Illogan Vs Holamns game Tuesday 2nd. but he didnt mention this. During that game, i suffered abuse at the hands of certain players and fans during that game. Some Refs shouldnt tolerate this but it happends.

Keep blowing that whistle Christ

James :D

As a Madron player involved in the game against New boys I thought I should add somthing to this thread.

Firstly I want to thank the Georgie, as without him there would have been no game.

This is only my third season at madron & from what I see we seem to have a very bad rep partly, I think from Physical teams we have had in the past.

In truth the "abuse" that the ref was subjected to was not of a seriuos nature at all (although dessent should not be tolerated).

All I will say in our deffence is that we are not a "dirty" side at all but some of us sometimes feel that we get a raw deal from refs (as I'm sure others feel some days).

Unfortunately though because of our reputation it often seems that refs are not on our side from the kick-off (if they turn up).

The Idoit from gulval who posted such Derogatory commets should Perhaps be aware of all the facts before he antagonises a whole team. (see you saturday coopsie)

BAR, since when is it required that a referee is on " your side ", a referee is on nobody`s side we are there to ensure that the game is played within the Laws of Association Football and to act as arbiter (referee)over decisions. That means we use our opinion on any decisions that are required to be made. Now as a player the moment you step out onto the pitch you agree to abide by our decisions, but unfortunately these days a good percentage of player seem to think that it`s their opinion that counts and only want to argue the point.

Guest Rabinowitz_The_Red

it's a shame to hear this as a fellow referee who knows what it is like out there but sometimes it get's to much for people. at the end of the day the players need to do there job like the referee so stop moaning and let him do his. heck i've made mistakes (some accepting the fixture lol joke) while being out there everyone does it's called human nature so there's no need to give the referee a hard time for it

would be nice if the referee went on your bk each time if you missed place a pass or missed an open goal think about?

I don't think any of our supporters are aggressive just a bit opinionated sometimes

Just to clarify the guy who got sent off for us against new boys probbably deserved it but what was said to the ref was somthing like "I'm old enough to be your dad" which is not aggressive or abusive just daft

I find the major issue with Ref's is the lack of communication we have recently been ref twice and 4 times the end of last season by a ref who's moved down from Sheffield (sos don't know his name) but he was v.good chatting to players throughout the game explaining reasons behind disputed free kicks, willing to listen; games seem to have less incidents in( he even did are pre season friendly vs St Just!! without any major drama which is saying s thing) when refs approach things in this way??? i wasn't at this game so can't really comment...and hostile crowds are a problem i agree; we played Charrack at the end of last season and there was a guy in his 70's (@least) giving it large about doin us after the game!!!!...i hope the Countys new Respect campaign is rolled out at all levels and not just adopted by a few refs in are leagues...COMMUNICATIONS AT ALL LEVELS IS A GOOD THING>>>> :glare:

I agree a quick few words before the game always helps aswell.

The last two game we've played have been reffed by people involved with the opposition clubs and both guys communication was very good and both games passed without as much as a grumble at the reffs (thanks St Ives and Newlyn)

rovers08, how on earth are we to explain our "disputed decisions" firstly they should not be disputed secondly in the Laws of the Game we should not have to explain or discuss our decisions ( under advice to referee`s) also players do not want to enquire as to a decision they want a full blown committee meeting and seriously I make thousands of decisions during a game even if I do nothing it is probably a decision so where on earth is the time to explain these decisions because as sure as eggs are eggs someone disagree`s with virtually every decision I make and that can be my first decision that I have had to make, last season I had a game where I asked my 2 assistants how long before my decisions were questioned, home assistant gave me 4mins away assistant said his team were mouthy and said 3mins in reality it was the away team and i looked at the watch and it was 1min 15secs. I looked to the assistant and we had a good smile.

In truth the "abuse" that the ref was subjected to was not of a seriuos nature at all (although dessent should not be tolerated).

Unfortunately though because of our reputation it often seems that refs are not on our side from the kick-off (if they turn up).

Serious enough to warrant a sending off, and another caution.

I did'nt have time to think about your reputation as 15 minutes before kick off I was still waiting for you to turn up at changing rooms, expecting to find the appointed ref at the pitch so I could enjoy watching the match! I would never let a clubs reputation effect my decision making anyway, I'd played against Madron half a dozen times in the past without any problems, but when I've just turned up to watch a game and end up refereeing I would hope for a bit of respect!

Just to clarify the guy who got sent off for us against new boys probbably deserved it but what was said to the ref was somthing like "I'm old enough to be your dad" which is not aggressive or abusive just daft

Not quite right that, might want to add the odd expletive, and Mr Davenport was dissenting yet another decision having already received a caution earlier in the half, and been advised on several more occasions about his conduct!

On being warned about the amount of jewellery he was wearing prior to the match, and told the referee would not allow any, he replied "well the ref can F**k off".

I have nothing against Madron FC, and have not refrained from refereeing because of events during that match, but I hope they've learned from recent events and they are able to respect the official and their opponents this Saturday :thumbsup:

rovers08, how on earth are we to explain our "disputed decisions" firstly they should not be disputed secondly in the Laws of the Game we should not have to explain or discuss our decisions ( under advice to referee`s) also players do not want to enquire as to a decision they want a full blown committee meeting and seriously I make thousands of decisions during a game even if I do nothing it is probably a decision so where on earth is the time to explain these decisions because as sure as eggs are eggs someone disagree`s with virtually every decision I make and that can be my first decision that I have had to make, last season I had a game where I asked my 2 assistants how long before my decisions were questioned, home assistant gave me 4mins away assistant said his team were mouthy and said 3mins in reality it was the away team and i looked at the watch and it was 1min 15secs. I looked to the assistant and we had a good smile.

Yea fair enough i meant to say key decisions peno and the like ...i fully respect it is a hard job and every1 makes mistakes (i whine @ref's just as much if not more than most!)..but i just find communication from refs helps thats all.. :c: and after reading todays article on the FA's respect programs gets rolled out to all teams at all levels ...yea i know this includes the club following a code of conduct... :thumbsup::o :thumbsup:

The Idoit from gulval who posted such Derogatory commets should Perhaps be aware of all the facts before he antagonises a whole team. (see you saturday coopsie)

I have nothing against Madron FC, and have not refrained from refereeing because of events during that match, but I hope they've learned from recent events and they are able to respect the official and their opponents this Saturday :thumbsup:

Looking at that, I'm not so sure. :unsure::blink::rolleyes: ..

"(see you saturday coopsie)", Now should one perceive that as some sort of threat?. Oh by the way BAR, please take the time and effort to read the original post and then enlighten me as to where I've antagonised or even put down a whole team.