Cornwall Football Forum

STANDARD OF ECPL TEAMS

Although the season is but a few weeks old I must admit of the games or part games I have been able to get to so far the standard has been quite good.

It looks as if the race for the title of both the Premier Division and Division One could be very tight. Bodmin Town and St Stephen are the early surprise packages. Torpoint and Saltash should be in the mix with Launceston and Tavistock looking pretty decent. At the bottom end it might have been wiser for Padstow to accept the drop into Division One. Bere Alston and Probus have yet to register a point but I'm sure that wont be long in coming. Lanreath haven't got off to the best of starts and will sorely miss Dave McGhee if he can only play in the odd game. Liskeard have finally won a match, Wadebridge have got off to a reasonable start and look much better than last season. Morwenstow are bedding in but I think will eventually come good. Sticker have yet to gel as has Biscovey.

Division One is going to be a difficult call to make. Plymouth Parkway have started off like a rocket and their good side have become early favourites. St Blazey could be a genuine promotion contender but losing Joel Cockings for the remainder of the season with a broken leg will be a big blow. Roche have started well but apart from St Blazey have yet to meet a good side. Elburton Villa also look capable of being in the mix at the end of the season. Bude have shown terrific promise in the last couple of seasons and their young side could be genuine promotion contenders. Nanpean have recovered from their early defeat against Roche and could have a decent season.

At the bottom end Holsworthy have not started well and Plymstock United are better than their early season results suggest. Lifton have yet to get started but they will not be the whipping boys of last season. St Newlyn East and St Columb Major may find themselves in for another tough season. Callington have not won a game yet but I think they will at least finish in the top half. New boys St Dominick will find it tough but I don't see them in a relegation battle. Camelford will always be a difficult side to beat as will Polperro. St Stephens Borough have the advantage of their artificial pitch which could help them have a decent season.

There is a long way to go and the next month will see the runners and the also rans beginning to take shape.

Anyone got any views