Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth vs Truro

Guest Postie Pidge

Guest Postie Pidge

Falmouth Town 0 - 4 Truro City (H/T 0-2)

Att: 497

0-1 - 31m Joe Broad

0-2 - 45m Matt Bye

0-3 - 70m Shane Tolley

0-4 - 91m Shane Tolley

Guest Postie Pidge

Maybe the estimations were too high but a vocal crowd none the less.

Falmouth played well but Truro were always going to be the better team.

Beanie made several superb saves

I am surprised at the attendance figure - it seemed more to me..!!

It felt a bit like a Home match for Truro - the Truro Fans outnumbered the Falmouth ones considerably.

Thanks to Falmouth for the welcome and all the arrangements - it was well organised - and the Falmouth Team never stopped battling - right up to the end - a good all round performance by both Club & Team.

Everybody happy-

Truro go home with the £1500 prizemoney

Falmouth have the gate money less expenses(Truro minimal/Officials fromPlymouth/Exeter) hoping there was no cost for the Police presence?

Attendance 497 x £5/£3 plus programme/raffle/grandstand and ground refreshments-

I am guessing at £2500 ish.

Falmouth avoid a hammering due to some early big saves by Symons and poor finishing.Two of the goals unfortunately falling on the stroke of half time and full time but fortunately saved by the woodwork on 2/3 occasions.

Hesitance in the Truro defence could have seen a Town consolation in the second half on a couple of times.

Very pleased with the scoreline as it didn't take the Bickland F.A Cup record defeat 1-5 by Yeovil Town in 75/76.

There was an obvious gulf in class between teams at the top of the Southern Div.1 and near bottom of the SWPL.indicated by a corner count of 1-13.

The attendance was the biggest since 1998 when 833 was recorded for the Tiverton F.A Cup clash.

Great workrate and concentration by the Town lads and a pleasure to see some quality football from Truro who I wish well in their next tie against Yate Town.

Wouldnt it be great to see those kind of crowds at matches in Cornwall every week. Sadly I dont think we will. The crowds at Truro are good but theyve come from no where as Truros support was very poor just a few years ago!! If and when they struggle, the fans could disappear very quickly. Just look at Argyle for that. Quick to follow a winning side, even quicker to sod off when the going gets tough!!

Where has The F Troop gone, hearing the Truro faithful singin "Where has your famous F Troop gone" brought back many a memory of the early/mid 90s!!

Saturday was my first vist back to Bickland Park for a very long time and the place still has something about it. There were a few old faces from when i went to watch week in week out, but there where a fair few in the Truro colours, but there was a small hardcore of fans that where Town though and though who use to sing and follow the team, seems that this was Towns biggest game in years and Truro out numbered Town by a Consintine mile!! Where has the Town Loyals gone????

Another solid performance -he is the 'King Pin' of the Town defence

A good action photo on the Falmouth website showing one of Chris Symons wonder saves -this one point blank from a Yetton header.

To get there from the Falmouth web menu select Firsts then Fixtures and then click on report.

Dont think the Truro team will like being listed under Shaftesbury lineup.

The attendance was the biggest since 1998 when 833 was recorded for the Tiverton F.A Cup clash.

The big gate certainly brought back memories for me. Belper Town was the first that came to mind for me. A truly horrible performance in front of the westcountry cameras that had the presenter grinning like a cheshire cat !

So where have the fans gone ? The gates then were only made up of Falmouth fans say for a few that may have travelled. So in recent times we have lost 1,000 fans !!

So that's £5k in gate money for a game like Saturdays.

What do the comittee members think of that ?

Are they bothered ?

And if so, What are they going to do about it ?

It's going to be back to the die hard 50 now for the rest of the season unless something is done

Re. Snakes comments about disappearing fans. I guess that there are other things for people to do, these days. Of course it concerns the committee, but that must be true of every club in Cornwall. You can't make people get out of their armchair and watch local sport. Sometimes one wonders if all the effort to put on a game is worth it! If the gates were up around the 200 mark each week, then things would be different. It is a case of "which came first, the chicken or the egg".

If you have a good team, will the supporters come flooding back, but to have a good team, you need the supporters paying at the gate each week.

A difficult dilema. If anyone has a magic answer then I am sure that we would all be grateful. Even if Western League football returned to Bickland Park, would the crowds alone be big enough to sustain it? I don't think so!

Take away Kevin Heaney's input into Truro City and would it be really feasible to have Southern League football at Treyew Road. It would be great if we could all survive on gate and social club money alone, but unless the moaners get out of their comfort zone on a Saturday, we will have to put up with what is on offer. I know that you can never go back, but wasn't it great back in the 60's and 70's when the Cornish football grounds were buzzing? It is up to the locals to show that they really want quality football and start suppoting their local clubs again!

Pole dancing at half-time !

Keep hearing about this decent budget find it hard to believe that the club cant attract players. We have the best facilities in Cornwall.

People keep mentioning that they have all gone to Penzance but there arent many there that i would want to see at Falmouth.

So does Andy have money to spend or not ?

I belive that Andy does have money to spend, but is holding it in reserve should a suitable, non-money grabbing player come along. Andy, I belive, only wants players that really want to play for FALMOUTH TOWN and not for a fat brown packet. He is a very shrewd man (manager) and will in time get things sorted.

its amazing how many people come up to me in the town and say whos Falmouth got this week or any new players or any gossip?. so they show interest but when i say are you watching town this week?, they reply wih, no i aint watching that rubbish or i aint brave enough If you ask me these aint proper supporters and this is the attitide why Falmouth have small gates to a certain degree.

People expect Falmouth to be great but without local suppot returning it aint never going to happern.

Any local football club if they get round to the local schools and give out free tickets, those kids may or may not bring one of their parents but they are all potential fans for the future. It would be good if some of the local team done the odd training and coaching session in a school. But with so many rules and regulations from the idiots that run this country and europe that would probbaly break every rule in the book.

Spot on James!!

How many football teams are there in Cornwall now compared to back when they were well supported? Could it be that there are as many fans but just spread around more clubs??

Does anyone produce a fixture list that is put up in all the shops / notice boards in town letting people know when the next game is??

i think schools, youth clubs e.t.c would be a good fan target. I do think a new generation of fans is needed to come through. If you go to Falmouth alot of the loyal fans are the older generation. so could it be that the fan base of Falmouth have just retired or sadly passed away. And the younger generation have not followed in the footsteps of their older generation. I dont know just a guess!

In terms of the F Troop i assume most have just been married off, kids and generally not interested anymore. But this is a big shame as it contributes to falling crowds over the years.

Another factor could be the amount of local clubs being around these days. And supporters being sparsly spread.

Maybe Truro City have attracted ex Falmouth fans. Maybe the neutrals prefer Truro as they want to watch a higher standard of football.

Maybe its the big ONE. The standard of football has dropped at Falmouth in the 8 years since last league titile. Who knows but it must be a nightmare for Falmouth commitee with little local support.

I know for fact that St Blazey have suffered in the last couple of years due to a section of supporters that chose to jump ship and follow the rise of Truro City so I would certainly imagine the same has happened at Falmouth Town who have obviously been starved the kind of success they enjoyed in the past for too many seasons now.

I have to suggest that surely the effect of Mr Massey's departures (both times) have not helped their cause in recent years, as any local players or even managers that may consider joining a much celebrated club may just have serious doubts on any longevity of their stay. I'd like to add that this is not a rant in any kind of protest directly towards Mr Massey as I have no personal reason for doing such a thing, but after playing for Gary Penhaligon at Falmouth during his one season tenure finished with joint second place, I cant help but wonder what the following season just may've brought and Falmouth faithful had long craved! Who knows??

But of course that is all history now but history has a funny way of repeating itself and since the latest departure of Mr Massey, now Andy Bowker & Co find themselves in the unfavourable position of attempting another Falmouth Town rebuild!! So although I have sympathy for the loyal supporters of the club, I struggle to see how outsiders like myself can really find the same sympathy for the Clubs officials who make the decisions that effect the club in the way it seems to.

Im sure though that there will be a steady improvement as the season progresses as just like in GP's season, I believe the first team are once again in safe hands with Bowks & Co. Time will, without doubt tell.

Have been told lots of reasons why Gary left but I think the honest answer will never be told. I personally think he did a fantastic job and was treated badly by the club.

One of the biggest problems that all clubs have now is the amount of footy on the box. Go back just 4 or 5 years and there wasnt as much on as there is now. Take a lunchtime kick off on sky on a saturday for instance. It doesnt finish until about 2.45 and then they chuck another game on at 5.

in response to Jonesys remark about schools, youth clubs etc. It is an idea that has been acted upon !!!schools have been approached and the decision was to let kids in for free to watch league games. I remember a few years ago when I arranged for the under 9s to go on at half time for a mini training session. They were in awe and they considered it an honour to get onto Bickland !! We should be encouraging the youth of our club, which is in rapid decline, to come to the matches and I think it would be a great idea to get the senior players involved with them in some way. The youth are the very foundation and if we nurture them and invest we reap the benefits, surely ?

Guest Postie Pidge

For some, (apparently) the Massey's departures have brought fans back - according to a club source. People weren't happy when he dumped Falmouth for Truro.

All Garry Penhaligon had to do was commit when he was asked. The club needed to know of his intentions and whether or not to advertise for a new manager - he was asked on numerous occasions and still didn't say. I would have liked to have seen him build on the previous season's successes. Why does this always get dredged up?

Guest Bushranger

Couldnt town try the odd friday night kick off?i know i would of watched town on a friday but always had a game myself,im sure there is still people who feel the same!!

I suppose it may interupt the bingo though??

From the outside looking in Pidge, I dont know the politics but only wonder "what if" he had stayed and built on the success of his first year in charge. If it was him that decided not to commit or continue then thats that, but players like myself that were in the squad that season are still unsure of the real reasons we werent all given the opportunity to build on the success of that season to be honest. So not dredging up just still unclear of the real reasons and facts.

To my knowledge Gary Penhaligan has never spoken in public on his reasons for departure from Bickland so its best not to over speculate.

In hindsight what would a second season with Gary at the helm have achieved?? mouthwatering!!

There is a big Friday night Throgmorton cup tie coming up at Bickland next month (v St.Blazey)-we will then see if this is a major attraction for local football followers.

It seems to be a great success elsewhere especially at Penzance where only a few weeks ago the SWPL gate record was broken and that was a Division 1 league match.

One thing I liked under Steve Massey was on occasions he would allow some of the promising youngsters to join in with the first team pre match warm ups and match preparation.

Friday night matches are a real possibility and Bingo wouldnt be affected by a 7 30 kick off as they make their mass exodus by about 9 15. Friday nights could be family night ! Drop the missus in to go for a full house, you watch the footie and meet up in the bar afterwards ! Everybodys happy ! No sexist conotation intended !!

Guest Man on the Post

Friday evening matches could be successful, but will the 12 Devon clubs in the league agree to playing at that time? Also I've always wondered how much it cost to run floodlights. Can anyone tell me?

From the outside looking in Pidge, I dont know the politics but only wonder "what if" he had stayed and built on the success of his first year in charge. If it was him that decided not to commit or continue then thats that, but players like myself that were in the squad that season are still unsure of the real reasons we werent all given the opportunity to build on the success of that season to be honest. So not dredging up just still unclear of the real reasons and facts.

Massey had money ! Falmouth needed it. For what other reason would a club take back a manager who walked out on them taking all the players with him. I and a few others knew he would be back the minute he left Truro.

I think sometimes a manager knows when hes not wanted and maybe that was why Gary didnt decide straight away. It is a shame because I think the team would have gone on to win things with maybe a couple of new faces.

Thanks for a very enjoyable season Lafs.

As for Massey well I don't want to be kicked off here so will keep my thoughts to myself.

in response to Jonesys remark about schools, youth clubs etc. It is an idea that has been acted upon !!!schools have been approached and the decision was to let kids in for free to watch league games. I remember a few years ago when I arranged for the under 9s to go on at half time for a mini training session. They were in awe and they considered it an honour to get onto Bickland !! We should be encouraging the youth of our club, which is in rapid decline, to come to the matches and I think it would be a great idea to get the senior players involved with them in some way. The youth are the very foundation and if we nurture them and invest we reap the benefits, surely ?

You and Jonesy have made a very important point namely that the future of any club especially Falmouth Town rests on it's attitude to schoolboy and youth soccer. We should get the locals lads involved from school onwards and as you say,if they come and watch their parents may just start filtering through the gates and supporting teams again.I remember the feeling(although this was ages ago!) of pride when asked to train with senior teams and trying just that bit harder to impress,making that tackle and letting fly with my hardest shot! Maybe that's what is lacking these days.

It is fair to say that we have good young teams at many levels that we hope will feed the teams above in coming seasons but we should never be complacent and always be on the look out for new players.At FTAFC we have embraced this ethos with Bowks and Hewey signing new young local players to bring into the SWPL and they are shaping up nicely-look at how well they played against Truro last week!

If you want to see the future then you should have been at Bickland Park last night. Upon arriving for the youth team match v Biscovey I was greeted with a rapidly filling stand where the numbers swelled to around 90-100 during the first half.The supporters ranged from the very young to the more mature(including me!)and this must haved encouraged both teams.There was a veritable feast of goals with FTAFC winning 6-3 including a superb effort straight from a corner in the 1st half! Great entertainment and well done to Malcolm Moses and his "Bootroom"team! Many senior teams would have killed for that attendance at at game!

Suzie-I like the idea of the half time mini session and the further involvement of all teams in training.This allows managers to assess the players and coach in the right way.I know Bowks has embraced this and invites other teams in the club to training when he can.

Finally can I say a big thank you to everyone who made last saturday a great success!

Good luck to Bowks and the lads tomorrow at Witheridge.Safe trip to all that are travelling.

Finally-well done for getting your tag line in!!

Guest Cornishdave1980

Do Falmouth Town still use ball boys?

The reason i ask, is years ago(15-20) you could be a ball boy for Falmouth Town, you would get to watch the game(for free) and have a pasty and pop at Half Time. If i remember rightly they were always from the local school teams.

Just an idea but i always remembered wanting to grow and play on Bickland one day. Maybe they could offer it out to all the local team 1 per every home game?

yes Falmouth Town do have ball boys and yep they are from the youth section. All organised by Malc in the pay hut !! Jonesy, the youth home games are played either at union corner or posers on sunday mornings ! A few youth games were played at Bickland last season and from what I understand we will see some during the forthcoming one too ! the ladies will probably have a few games on it as well. This is of course depending on the state of the pitch and weather !!

when i was a kid and use to sit in the grandstand and build up the courage to join in at half time. As soon as the half time whistle went a heard of kids would run on the pitch for a kick about. I remember the tannoy announcer trying to keep us all out the goalmouths!!!! There must have been 20 kids plus at one time kicking around at half time.

A previous comment I posted on this topic may have been misunderstood. I posted a comment about my thoughts on Massey. This comment was not aimed at Mr.Massey in a personal way. It was at 'The Massey situation' and the frustration caused by the lack of stability at the club.

I would like to apologise to Mr.Massey for any misunderstanding that may have occured.