Cornwall Football Forum

Match Report- Penzance v Perranporth

Penzance Reserves 0-3 Perranporth

Perranporth, this season’s big spenders in the Combo kept up their unbeaten start to the season with a comfortable 3-0 victory under the floodlights at Penlee Park on Tuesday evening. They came to win and at times seemed to do just enough to stay in front. From a spectators point of view the game seemed flat with all the passion coming from Penzance and Perranporth seeming to be playing like robots, just doing a job, earning three points.

The first chance of the game falls to Penzance. They work their way down the left, a cross pitch ball finds Tom Patrick on the edge of the box but the keeper closes him down before he can get a shot off. Perranporth then have a similar chance but shoot wide.

A Penzance free kick on the right near the goal line is headed over the bar. Next a corner on the right for Penzance is kicked long, but Liam Devine skims a header just wide of the post.

Then Perranporth get a penalty. A through ball reaches Luke Wort who runs in on goal but gets caught by Penzance keeper Craig Nicholls. After a few minutes of treatment he gets up and takes the spot kick, sending it low to the keeper’s right. 0-1, 16mins gone.

The next chance falls to Penzance. They work down the right, send in a cross goal ball but Bradley Wills scuffs his shot at the back post and the ball goes wide. Then Perranporth do the same thing themselves a couple of minutes later.

Perranporth press forward to increase their lead but a great diving save from the Penzance keeper denies them. A Perranporth corner is floated in to the box, they volley low, but Craig gets down and flicks the ball out one handed.

But Perranporth eventually double their lead in the 37th minute. They move down their right, cross, and Justin Andrew runs onto the ball to shoot low past the keeper from the edge of the box. 0-2, 37mins.

The last chance of the half falls to Penzance. Tom Patrick runs the ball down to the goal line, crosses but the ball evades two Penzance players running in.

Perranporth complete the scoring within a minute of the restart. They break through the middle with Justin Andrew who volleys low from 25yds. 0-3, 46mins.

Penzance try to get back into the match but their best chance in the next few minutes is a wide header from Liam Devine. Both teams substitute players, Penzance Sam Long for Ian Philips.

The game settles down to a series of half chances, the best a long free kick from Perranporth which sees a player run round the back of the Penzance defence only to fluff his shot which is easily save by Craig.

Penzance bring on their last two subs, Danny Michael for Liam Devine and Adam Flood for Mark Grenfell. Perranporth also swop a player.

Steve Rowson has a chance to get on the score sheet for Perranporth when they cross from the right but he volleys way over from 10yds out.

By now the Penzance chances have dried up and the Perranporth chances only seem to come from free kicks. They get one from 30yds out left of mid-field. The shot comes in, curves around the wall, hits the keeper on the chest bounces out but a Perranporth player with an open goal shoots wide from 6yds out when clear. Another free kick is chipped over the wall but the keeper grabs it.

The last chance falls to Penzance but a free kick from mid-field is deflected wide to safety.

Penzance Man of the Match – choice of 2. Ashley Thomas for a lot of good play mostly in the 2nd half. Tom Patrick ran and ran up front chasing a lost cause, put himself about a bit as well.

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Mark Grenfell, James Street, Darren Holsey, Ryan Holland, Bradley Wills, Ashley Thomas, Ross Badcock, Tom Patrick, Ian Philips, Liam Devine

Subs – Sam Long (Philips 60), Danny Michael (Devine 70), Adam Flood (Grenfell 75), Zack Podd

Perranporth - D Philip (GK), E Brown, M Cain ©, J Miles, B Goldring, D Harris, I Gosling, M Salmon, L Wort, S Rowsen, K Trevaskis, J Andrew, R Stapleton, B Hawk, L Dark, L Moustrides, P Foxwell

Corner count Penzance 4-7 Perranporth (4-4 1st half)

Crowd 122

Guest striker

Penzance Reserves 0-3 Perranporth

Perranporth, this season’s big spenders in the Combo kept up their unbeaten start to the season with a comfortable 3-0 victory under the floodlights at Penlee Park on Tuesday evening. They came to win and at times seemed to do just enough to stay in front. From a spectators point of view the game seemed flat with all the passion coming from Penzance and Perranporth seeming to be playing like robots, just doing a job, earning three points.

The first chance of the game falls to Penzance. They work their way down the left, a cross pitch ball finds Tom Patrick on the edge of the box but the keeper closes him down before he can get a shot off. Perranporth then have a similar chance but shoot wide.

A Penzance free kick on the right near the goal line is headed over the bar. Next a corner on the right for Penzance is kicked long, but Liam Devine skims a header just wide of the post.

Then Perranporth get a penalty. A through ball reaches Luke Wort who runs in on goal but gets caught by Penzance keeper Craig Nicholls. After a few minutes of treatment he gets up and takes the spot kick, sending it low to the keeper’s right. 0-1, 16mins gone.

The next chance falls to Penzance. They work down the right, send in a cross goal ball but Bradley Wills scuffs his shot at the back post and the ball goes wide. Then Perranporth do the same thing themselves a couple of minutes later.

Perranporth press forward to increase their lead but a great diving save from the Penzance keeper denies them. A Perranporth corner is floated in to the box, they volley low, but Craig gets down and flicks the ball out one handed.

But Perranporth eventually double their lead in the 37th minute. They move down their right, cross, and Justin Andrew runs onto the ball to shoot low past the keeper from the edge of the box. 0-2, 37mins.

The last chance of the half falls to Penzance. Tom Patrick runs the ball down to the goal line, crosses but the ball evades two Penzance players running in.

Perranporth complete the scoring within a minute of the restart. They break through the middle with Justin Andrew who volleys low from 25yds. 0-3, 46mins.

Penzance try to get back into the match but their best chance in the next few minutes is a wide header from Liam Devine. Both teams substitute players, Penzance Sam Long for Ian Philips.

The game settles down to a series of half chances, the best a long free kick from Perranporth which sees a player run round the back of the Penzance defence only to fluff his shot which is easily save by Craig.

Penzance bring on their last two subs, Danny Michael for Liam Devine and Adam Flood for Mark Grenfell. Perranporth also swop a player.

Steve Rowson has a chance to get on the score sheet for Perranporth when they cross from the right but he volleys way over from 10yds out.

By now the Penzance chances have dried up and the Perranporth chances only seem to come from free kicks. They get one from 30yds out left of mid-field. The shot comes in, curves around the wall, hits the keeper on the chest bounces out but a Perranporth player with an open goal shoots wide from 6yds out when clear. Another free kick is chipped over the wall but the keeper grabs it.

The last chance falls to Penzance but a free kick from mid-field is deflected wide to safety.

Penzance Man of the Match – choice of 2. Ashley Thomas for a lot of good play mostly in the 2nd half. Tom Patrick ran and ran up front chasing a lost cause, put himself about a bit as well.

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Mark Grenfell, James Street, Darren Holsey, Ryan Holland, Bradley Wills, Ashley Thomas, Ross Badcock, Tom Patrick, Ian Philips, Liam Devine

Subs – Sam Long (Philips 60), Danny Michael (Devine 70), Adam Flood (Grenfell 75), Zack Podd

Perranporth - D Philip (GK), E Brown, M Cain ©, J Miles, B Goldring, D Harris, I Gosling, M Salmon, L Wort, S Rowsen, K Trevaskis, J Andrew, R Stapleton, B Hawk, L Dark, L Moustrides, P Foxwell

Corner count Penzance 4-7 Perranporth (4-4 1st half)

Crowd 122

A fair report on the game ctb,Perranporth looking a very strong and experienced side,against a young Pz side,Pz had a few chances to score,and i think if pz had scored 1st it might have been a closer game,Perranporth will beat alot of teams this year,very good to watch at times,so good luck to them,and i think pz youngsters will do ok,better than last year,and have some great youngsters up and coming,keep up the good work flacky :thumbsup:

When it says P Foxwell..... Does that mean pete foxwell!?! :yahoo:

Yes Alex THE Pete Foxwell!! Although CTB's information is a bit inaccurate through no fault of his own. When CTB asked for the squad to put in the programme Pete was down as a sub goalie although we didn't end up naming him as a sub after all. CTB also has Mike Cain as captain but due to a bad back Cainy spent the game on the bench.

When are you back in the Country? Club photos Friday night 6.30pm if you can make it??

Guest arquati

Im not back in perranporth till the 28th of sept!, maybe we can reschedule!?! haha Coxy just got out here, going to Niagara falls on sat, should be good... missing the football so badly though, and im longing to come back... so Kayne cant have the title of youngest player in 1st team squad! haha Im looking forward to St Just away being the 1st match i hopefully come along too... well at least to watch. Goning to philly too going to train on the steps rocky runs up on the movie... photos to be taken for prove! :c:

thanks sam

Good luck for this weekend

Alex, when you weren't named in the Perranporth squad I thought to myself, brilliant for a couple of reasons.

1. You're a principled man and couldn't be bought and had moved on to another club.

2. You wern't good enough anymore. :P

Damm we find out you're on holiday and you want to come back. You must be Penzance's bogie player cos eveytime you played us, you scored. :lol:

Ronin, sorry about the Perranporth team mix-up in the programme, but I blame my sorce of information.

CTB

Guest arquati

I wouldnt call it a holiday CTB the last 2 months is the hardest ive worked in my life (not that ive ever worked that hard) and now i have to get fit while travelling, just so i can get into the squad! Still enjoying myself though... See you at Ponsmere Valley for the reverse game, maybe il get the chance to score against you again!

cheers