Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Post your Combo Results Here Please

Recommended Posts

Here are the Combo fixtures for 26-08-08

Please post your results, scorers and attendences below please.

Falmouth Town Reserves (O.G) 1-2 Holman SC (Andy Miles, Andy Hill)

Crowd 60

Hayle Reserves (Matt Shiels) 1-1 St Ives Town (Andy Trathen)

Crowd 20

Helston Athletic 0-2 Illogan RBL (Matt Calloway, Andy Cowper)

Crowd 65

St Just (Neil Curnow 2, John Bird) 3-1 1Ludgvan (Neil Hosking)

Crowd 55

Mullion 0-6 Perranwell (TJ Wilson 2, Jake Harvey 2, Mike Brewer, Steve Brewer)

Crowd 60

Newquay Reserves (Luke Wheldon, Aaron Howe 2) 3-1 St Agnes (Steve Capeling)

Crowd 50

Penzance Reserves 0-3 Perranporth (Justin Andrew 2, Luke Wort)

Crowd 122

Portreath (Jason Buckley, Calum Salmon) 2-1 Penryn Athletic Reserves (Rob Canale)

Crowd 50

Wendron CC United Reserves 0-2 St Day (Perran Cooke, Nathan Taylor)

Crowd 20

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newquay 3 - 1 St Agnes

Newquay entertained St Agnes at Mount Wise and were keen to land their first three points of the season. Both Newquay first team and the reserves played St Agnes sides pre-season, with Newquay winning both matches.

Newquay fielded a stronger line-up than the team that faced Perranwell on Saturday, youngsters Tom Taylor, Josh Harris and Aaron Howe returned with Joff Bunt taking up the centre-back role after Martin Atkinson picked up a knock at the weekend. Scott Palmer replaced Michael Rabone who was struggling after the Perranwell game and partnered Luke Whelden upfront.

Newquay had the majority of possession in the early stages of the game without making their territorial advantage count, St Agnes had very little to offer when attacking and they will miss Justin Andrew this season and his ability to hold the ball up. Too often their back four were left under pressure when the ball was lost upfield.

Newquay took the lead part-way through the first half when a long clearance by 'Shanks' Merrikin found Luke Whelden, Scott Palmer was retreating from an offside position and the defender misjudged the bounce. Luke shaped to lob the advancing 'keeper but retained his composure to smash home a low left-footed drive into the bottom right corner.

The second half provided much of the same; Newquay retained a large share of possession without providing a genuine threat to the St Agnes goal. Scott Palmer picked up the ball just inside his own half and cut in from the right wing across the goal area. His final touch evaded him; however, Aaron Howe was on hand to drill the ball home with a snap-shot from 18 yards to add a second.

Newquay gained momentum and soon added a third, a deep cross was flicked on by Scott Palmer and Aaron Howe found himself in space at the far post. He shaped to volley the ball, mistimed his shot, hit a half-volley and the ball looped slowly over the St Agnes 'keeper for a fortunate third goal.

St Agnes managed to grab a consolation mid-way through the second half; Steve Capeling picked the ball up and hit a first time shot from 25 yards. Although Capeling didn't manage to strike the ball as well as he'd hope to, the ball flicked up off the surface and found its way into the bottom right hand corner of the net via the post.

Both David and Michael Rabone joined the fray late on in the second half in Midfield and Newquay held out to pick up their first three points of the season.

Crowd - approx 65

Ref watch - Very good performance from the referee, played the advantage well and kept the game flowing. Had some good banter with the players and looked in reasonable control of the game. Well supported by his assistants who only made one dodgy decision all game!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...