Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL West Result 25-8-08

Guest Dermot

Guest Dermot

Godolphin. 3 Foxhole. 3 H/T 2.1

Scorers. Godolphin. S Flanagan, A Dilley 2

Foxhole. S Capeling, R Griffin, P Hobbs.

Watched by a crowd of over 120 this was always going to fiesty game and it was,i will leave the match report to Darin. The Ref Colin Spence had to go off with a calf injury after 25 minutes to be replaced by Gaham Rickard. I think the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game.

Off for a couple of beers and to rest my poorly knee. ;0) :drink:

Are you trying to set some kind of record for playing for the most clubs in one season r_and_l?? I thought you were at Aggie (mind you - I'm always the last to know!!) :D

Are you trying to set some kind of record for playing for the most clubs in one season r_and_l?? I thought you were at Aggie (mind you - I'm always the last to know!!) :D

I played for aggie as cover until I was free to play for foxhole! and will be playing for aggie when im free

Godolphin 3 Foxhole 3

Monday 25th August 2008

Improving Foxhole had to come from behind three times but deserved more than a share of the spoils after largely outplaying their Newquay-based opponents in a thrilling and fiery encounter. Godolphin were ahead within 40 seconds, Flanagan sidefooting home Lowry's low centre from 12 yards but the Foxes soon gained the ascendancy and, after Capeling had volleyed over and Semmens had theatrically pushed away Warne's header, Griffin released Capeling who outpaced a square defence to lob over the keeper on the quarter hour. Warne soon sent Griffin away to round Semmens, but the shot lacked power and was cleared off the line by Eglinton.

On 26, referee Spence, who had earlier cautioned Rowe for an innocuous challenge on Paxton, then hobbled off to be replaced by the senior linesman. Within moments, Mr Rickard had halted Bromley's clear run on goal by adjudging the midfielder had somehow deliberately used his hand to block Peacock's clearance fired at him from a few inches, only the first of a series of controversial decisions which incurred the wrath of the visitors.

The numerous home dangermen were being successfully subdued by the combative Foxes and it was against the run of play when Lowry broke down the left on 32 to unselfishly present Dilley with an opportunity he could hardly miss. Capeling almost equalised straight away, but his header from Griffin's great cross dropped narrowly wide, while the ebullient Griffin himself was only denied by the legs of the onrushing Semmens seconds later. Although Ryan Holland had been a virtual spectator he was nevertheless relieved to watch Brown's effort roll wide, but Foxhole changed ends unfortunate to be losing.

The equaliser came three minutes after the restart. Rowe's deep free-kick was won by the outstanding Capeling, and Warne's follow-up shot was deflected conveniently into the path of Griffin to finish from six yards. Foxhole dominated the next twenty minutes without unduly troubling Semmens, with Bromley and Watson excellent against the impressive Kershaw and Brown, while Hobbs and Prince each looked assured with countless timely interceptions and intelligent use of the ball. As passions were inflamed and the tackles flew in with exhilarating regularity, the referee busily handed out bookings to Griffin (for playing on after the whistle), Warne (an alleged push), Capeling (a crude challenge on Paxton) and, eventually, Godolphin's Peacock (a foul on Capeling), but his inability to spot the more discreet infringements of the home team ensured he is unlikely to be invited to the Foxhole Christmas party.

However, in a rare breakaway after 70 minutes, Lowry again set up Dilley, who hit a screamer beyond the helpless Holland from 25 yards. Faced with having to recover yet again, Foxhole continued to push their opponents back, and, with both teams straining, Mr Rickard waved further cards at Bromley (for kicking the ball away) and Brown (a poor challenge on Prince). Four minutes from the end, Bromley got his head to Warne's corner and the ball nestled in the net through a mass of bodies, possibly via Hobbs' toe. In stoppage time, Capeling mishit a volley to Nicholls who diverted his effort towards Butler, but the substitute was unable to react in time to fire the winner that would have justly rewarded the Foxes for a brave and memorable performance.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Ryan Holland 6; David Grose 6 (sub. Kyle Friendship 6), Lewis Prince 8, Mark Rowe 7, Phil Hobbs 8; Adam Bromley 7, Jason Warne 7, Adam Holland 6 (sub. Andrew Butler 6), Tom Watson 7 (sub. Liam Nicholls 6); Richard Griffin 7, Steve Capeling 7.

Godolphin (4-4-2): Shaun Semmens; Matt Hallett (sub. Andy White), Aaron Dilley, Sam Eglinton, Tim Peacock; Scott Flanagan, Phil Lowry, Mark Kershaw, Kyle Brown; Lee Paxton, Scott Whieldon (sub. Dave Moore).

Referee: Mr Colin Spence (Newquay) 6, replaced after 26 minutes by Mr Graham Rickard (Newquay) 5.

Guest Peppermint

Darin's report is, as always entertaining and informative. I would take issue about a couple of points that are obviously open to debate.

Firstly Capeling's very crude tackle on Paxton was probably a red card offence and Peacock's challenge on Capeling was also bordering on a red card. Griffin playing on after the whistle was very silly because he then blasted the ball almost into Henver Road.

One point about Colin Spence - he lives in MITCHELL not Newquay and hopefully he will soon be fit again becuse he is a very good referee. Graham Rickard had his problems but it did throw up a talking point regarding what would happen if there was not three officials appointed yesterday like most Division 1 West games - the game would have to be abandoned because there would only be club assistant referees available.

I agree with Dermot that a draw was a fair result despite Foxhole probably having more chances.

Final point - what has happened to the new respect initiative - some of the antics of the players and their crude language used to the officials went completely unpunished!

With all due respect peppermint since when have shoulder challenges been worthy of a red card????

Paxton did the same challenge minutes later and went unpunished as did most of the godolphin players dispite continually pulling foxhole players back after they had gone by them especially the substitute elmo who pulled players back on several occasions and didnt even get spoken to by mr rickard!!!!!

Guest Peppermint

With respect I and lots of other neutrals thought it was a great deal more than a shoulder to shoulder challenge. Agree that Andy White did get away with a few tugs of attackers shirts. The Foxhole strikers certainly had more pace than the Godolphin defenders and this is where the visitors looked dangerous.

We all seem to view games and incidents differently and sometimes according to which club we support but as can be seen from my user name I was completely neutral.

I think Mr Rickard could have acted earlier to overcome some of the issues but he was suddenly thrust into taking charge of the match. It was a match more like a cup tie and certainly provided entertainment for the good sized crowd.Finally the replacement official did allow players to swear at him on too many ocassions and did not stamp on this which seems to suggest that referees are not trying to implement the new respect initiative.

Good luck for thr season r and l - I presume you have joined Foxhole from Goonhavern.

I have no reason to doubt Peppermint's superior knowledge, but as Mr Spence is not listed at all in the most recent CCFA handbook my club has been issued with (2007/2008), I googled "Colin Spence referee" (try it yourself).......

www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/cornishmanfootball

Ludgvan to face local rivals in cup

16:23 - 25-June-2008

Be the first reader to comment on this story.

PENWITH rivals Ludgvan and Penzance reserves will face each other in the first round of the Jolly's Cornwall Combination League Cup.

Holders Truro City will not be able to defend their trophy after winning promotion to Division One West of the South West Peninsula League.

The full draw, made at last week's annual meeting, was:

Preliminary Round: Portreath v Holman SC; Falmouth Town v Penryn Athletic; Perranporth v Wendron; St Agnes v Porthleven.

First round: Illogan RBL v St Just; St Agnes/Porthleven vs Hayle; St Ives Town v RNAS Culdrose; Newquay v St Day; Perranporth/Wendron v Falmouth Town/Penryn Athletic; Ludgvan v Penzance; Holmans/Portreath v Mullion, Perranwell v Helston Athletic.

Truro City won the Fred Malone Cup for being the league's top scorers with a record breaking 172 goals, while Newquay referee Colin Spence was the leading official with a mark of 86.62, followed by Steve Rose (Penryn), 86.45 and Brian Harris (Canonstown) 83.80.

I apologise for the incorrect information and all at Foxhole wish Mr Spence a speedy recovery.

Guest Dermot

Colin Spence was a late replacement for Chris Stevens as was John Moore the other Assistant Ref for Rob Hankers,Colin now lives in Mitchell,hope that clears any confusion up?

Also wish Colin a speedy recovery. ;0) :c: