Cornwall Football Forum

Winning Ugly?

Jamo

As a Liverpool fan i obviously havnt been overly impressed with our lack of form in the opening games, however, with maximum points whilst playing badly i find myself with a smile on my face as at last Liverpool seem to be able to win a game ugly when in past seasons we would have definately come away with a draw or a loss!

What gets me is the so called pundits and press, is it just me or are they just very selective with their opinions and certain teams? For the last few seasons Liverpool have been criticised by press and pundits for dropping points against the so called "lesser teams" in the premiership, where they praise the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea for the way they can win ugly and grind out a win even when not playing well against these same lesser opponents and that makes it the sign of a good team

well low and behold watching sky last night i thought at last Liverpool maybe getting cut a little slack for not playing well but grinding out 2 results and doing what the pundits have been saying thay have been lacking for the last few seasons but no! all they had to say was how worried they were about how poor they had played and that they were basically getting lucky!

didnt here such comments today though when from what i saw wigan outplayed chelsea who "won ugly" and got a result......!

this isnt a sour grapes rant from a Liverpool fan , just wanted to know if anyone else thinks the same on how the pundits keep changing there stories when certain teams are involved!!

Guest mariner

Jamo look how your two goals came about a deflection for the first and another deflection into the path of Gerrard although a great strike but its the fact u went 1 down at home again, When UTD or Chelsea win ugly its usually 1-0 plus u have no real strength in depth ithink that is what Hansen was trying to get across.

yep i agree with that to some extent Mariner, we were somewhat fortuitous this weekend, however the previous weekend we got a 1 nil away at sunderland and i think they could be a tough team to beat at home this year!

in one respect though could u not say Man Utd had a little luck last week when scoring as Newcastle were reduced to 10 men due to a defender being off the pitch?

i also agree that i dont think we have the strength in depth like a lot of people seem to suggest we have! Looking at chelskis squad there is no comparison as to what options we have to change a game but hopefully we will be there or thereabouts come the business end of the season

• 4 weeks later...

yep i agree with that to some extent Mariner, we were somewhat fortuitous this weekend, however the previous weekend we got a 1 nil away at sunderland and i think they could be a tough team to beat at home this year!

in one respect though could u not say Man Utd had a little luck last week when scoring as Newcastle were reduced to 10 men due to a defender being off the pitch?

i also agree that i dont think we have the strength in depth like a lot of people seem to suggest we have! Looking at chelskis squad there is no comparison as to what options we have to change a game but hopefully we will be there or thereabouts come the business end of the season

ay jim bob, manu are the best, liverpool avnt got a leg to stand on, HELLO!!, they lost to Stoke,. wake up and smeeeellllll the coffee!! :drink:

Guest eightyeight

Don't forget Carlos Tevez as well !

Unfortunately when Stoke put 11 players on the edge of the box it can make it awkward to play against but it has to be said we have not yet managed to get in to top gear (although unbeaten,3rd in the prem and a winning start in the CL is'nt the worst. We need Torres,Keane and Babel to start hitting top form

unfortunatelly Liverpool won't win the title again because they cannot do the bussiness against the lower teams , when the stokes, middlesboro's, fulham's and SPURS visit and put 10 men behind the ball the mancs, chelsea and the Arse have players that will eventually find a way through even though it may take 89 minutes. I would love to see the scousers at the top but this last 7 days summed it up beat utd, win in Marsaille draw at home to stoke................. to inconsistant..... Anyway you should all be looking over your shoulders this season Zola's boys are coming..............

unfortunatelly Liverpool won't win the title again because they cannot do the bussiness against the lower teams , when the stokes, middlesboro's, fulham's and SPURS visit and put 10 men behind the ball the mancs, chelsea and the Arse have players that will eventually find a way through even though it may take 89 minutes. I would love to see the scousers at the top but this last 7 days summed it up beat utd, win in Marsaille draw at home to stoke................. to inconsistant..... Anyway you should all be looking over your shoulders this season Zola's boys are coming..............

I see you still have your comedians hate on mate!!! "Zolas boys are coming"

after todays events zolas boys will be going so you can afford the compensation payout :P