Cornwall Football Forum

St Teath res 2 - 2 Premier Sixes

This was two points dropped for P6 as they look to challenge for the Duchy 4 title this season. Player manager Dan Code warned before the game that St Teath had one of the best defensive units in the division and goals would be hard to come by, how true this proved. P6 controlled the game from the first kick. St Teath were pinned back for long periods and had to revert from a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 to try and stiffle the maraunding P6 team. Everything seemed to being to plan when Dan Parsonage beat a couple of players and unleashed a 25 yard left footer which flew into the top corner. 1-0 P6. Then a horrible 15 minute spell cast a clound over the rest of the game. While still enjoying all the posession P6 conceeded a needless free-kick just inside our half. The midfield weren't quick enough picking up their men and allowed one of St teath's big midfielders to nod the ball down in the area, the ball landed straight at the feet of a St teath striker who pivoted and fired into the bottom corner to equalise with their first shot on target of the game. P6 continued to boss proceedings and should have taken the lead when they were awarded a penalty for a foul on Ben Lawrence, Dan Parsonage stepped up but fired the ball miles wide of the left post. P6 were made to pay for this miss with 10 minutes as St Teath made a rare foray forwards and were rewarded with a penalty when the ref adjudged a P6 player to have pushed a St Teath player in the box. Ringrose guessed the right way but just missed the ball as St Teath converted the spot kick to go into the lead with only their second shot on target. 2-1 St Teath at half-time. P6 came out all guns blazing and reverted to a 3-4-3 line up to counter St Teath who had rolled out a Western Greyhound to protect their lead. The second half is one of the most amazing 45 minutes of football I have ever played in as I have never experienced a side having so much possession and terroritory. St Teath made a few visits to the P6 half but all they had to show for it were 3 speculative off target shots from distance, one of them being staright from kick off at the start of the second half. For all the possession, chances were at a preimum as St Teath held firm, their keeper made a few fine saves including one from a deflected shot which was flying into the bottom corner. As the clock ran down P6 through centre half Tom Longworth upfront sacrificing goalscorer Parsonage. It prooved to be the change that was needed as Longworth bundled home the equaliser with 8 minutes left. P6 now went for the jugular and only left 2 at the back as sweeper Dan Code joined the front 3 with P6 now playing a cavalier 2-4-4. The last 5 minutes saw P6 virtually camped in the St Teath area as they won corner after corner, but alas they could find no way through as St Teath clung on for the point. Very disappointing not to take all 3 points but credit to St Teath for their dogged defending. A lot of plus points for P6 to take from this as we look forward to the challenge of Stratton next week. Last seasons top scorer Tom Currah and former Major forward Olly Kernick both came through the reserve game unscathed on their return from injuries and may be in line for a call up next week to add to the forward line.

Team:

James Ringrose - Code, Black, Longworth - Urlander, Ben Ringrose, Schofield, Lawrence, Neil Currah - Parsonage (Marsh 70 min), Taylor

Parsonage about to take the penalty he missed

parpen.jpg

looking at the way the bank is now dug out i take it the st teath pitch no longer has the slope it was famous for a few years ago??

scored my first ever goal in mens football aged 14( some 12 seasons ago now) and also remember the time we walked off the pitch up there for charlestown after being continuously kicked for 60 minutes!

Nice flat pitch, one of the best in the Duchy League, however, it is quite short and they play it very well as we struggled to get behind their defence despite all the possession and terroitory. I guess this explains why they have had such a good defensive record in the lower duchy divisions in the last couple of seasons.

Wasnt at the game but spoke to some of the st teath boys who confirmed that premier 6 are a great footballing side and they where pleased to get the point.The pitch measurements are 68m wide and 95m long ,bodmins pitch is 65m wide and 98m long.The pitch was leveled back in1997,just after the team had won the duchy division league and cup double.The return match should be easier for you as i presume your rented plastic pitch is bigger.I think you won 1 0 there last year and where beaten 4 1 at st teath we must be able to get behind teams on a short pitch better than you,any way good luck for the season.