Cornwall Football Forum

Money go round

2 weeks into the season and the money go round has started.

Lee Bradd lured to Penzance by the bottomless coffers,can,t blame Lee ,but I think its about time money at this level of football should cease.then all teams including the defunt Goonhavern would have had an equal chance.

If players join a team for the so called money, can we blame the players?

Or isnt it the clubs fault for paying silly money?

In penzances case i can see their ambition and best of luck to them as they want to get promotion. But at the same time i think alot of clubs have been caught in the trap of paying players too much money and no money being spent of the ground. I think these days it is best to get the ground up to standard first before paying big money or even get an even kneel. What do people think? I think Penances ground is council owned? So maybe because it is hired then their not going to spend money on improving ground, floodlights e.t.c

Guest striker

Penzance have invested upto £5000 on their pitch this year,and also have one of the best set of floodlights in cornwall,This year we have a sponsor who wants the best for pz ,that takes alot of time and investment,hes prepared to do that,whats wrong with that,money is a major factor in football ,and has been for many years,it attracts the best players,always will,as long as the players give 100% on the pitch then thats all you can ask for,its about time to see pz have a successfull time,they have always had good support,and the whole town is again talking about the magpies in a positive way,all credit to the likes of JOHN MEAD,JIMMY DANN,who have stuck by the club threw thick and thin,as an x player and manager for the club im sure this season will be a great one,its been a long time coming,UP the MAGPIES.

Isn't the kind benefactor transforming Penzance's fortunes the chairman Mr Badcock?

By the way, I heard the other day that the players budget at Falmouth Town is still quite considerable - based on the figure suggested, it must be in the top five best in the league.

I hope that it was sheer fabrication, otherwise if i was providing it I would be asking where's all the money going!

:blink:

It is an interesting debate, but you only have to look at employment in general for an indicator. If you have capabilities that are sought after and another employer offers better terms and conditions than those you are currently receiving, most people would be fairly tempted unless there was a significant reason to stay loyal. If one business is willing to offer substantially more than others for doing the same job then you'd call it a 'no-brainer'. For some it may be to better themselves, for others it may be purely for financial reasons, or possibly a combination of both. It's very easy to point the finger and call it greed and blame players.

It appears that most players don't mind playing 40 away games a season, so it is seemingly having the desired effect!

Lee is a very good footballer and a popular lad at Newquay. It's always a shame to see good players leave, but at the same time it was his choice and most clubs are unable to make a counter-offer as they just don't have the resources to do so.

The amount of 'journeymen' who have followed money in Cornwall continues to grow and I doubt it will change. I guess some people forget that the offer of having an extra wage packet each month could be a big factor for local footballers who are not on a high income. After all, Cornwall isn't renowned for substantial salaries or skilled jobs.

It is a shame that clubs with money come and go so quickly. There is very little sustainability and it seems to cause a lot of damage and resentment. Some of the great teams who flashed the cash in the past seem to be no further forward than their rivals as far as I can see. The only exception at present is Truro, I hope they can continue with their success.

I guess we will all be watching the likes of Penzance and Perranporth closely this season. It is games like Tuesday night at Mount Wise that make you realise that money can't always buy you three points, but it will usually get a bloody good squad capable of winning things, which usually attracts a few more supporters and generates a bit more revenue for clubs. I can tell you that there were definitely not 150 spectators at the Newquay/Perran game on a Tuesday night at Mount Wise last season!

Ok, it's not on the same scale as Chelsea, but the principle remains broadly the same... without the prawn sandwiches.

interesting comment Dave. You say Falmouth budget could be in the top five. Therefore with your contacts what would estimate the top five budgets are in the swpl. Could it be that Penzance are up there with the top payers in the premier division?

I would love to have an official club football budget table for the swpl!! Maybe there are top teams with budgets lower than what people would suspect. Saltash seem to have a good local youth base. therefore perhaps their budget isnt too costly. :unsure:

Isn't the kind benefactor transforming Penzance's fortunes the chairman Mr Badcock?

By the way, I heard the other day that the players budget at Falmouth Town is still quite considerable - based on the figure suggested, it must be in the top five best in the league.

I hope that it was sheer fabrication, otherwise if i was providing it I would be asking where's all the money going!

:blink:

Anyone that thinks Mr Badcock (bbcb) has invested £40k for anything but business reasons would i imagine be very much mistaken.

Hasn't he applied to build houses on the plot where the existing club house sits?

IVE SPOKEN TO BRADDERS AND HE HAS TOLD ME HE HAS LEFT US AT NEWQAUY NOT FOR THE MONEY BUT TO BETTER HIMSELF AS A FOOTBALLER.

I AM DISSAPPOINTED AS A MANAGER ESPECIALLY BECAUSE WE MADE HIM CLUB CAPTAIN AND WE HAVENT EVEN KICKED A BALL YET.

IF HE HAS GONE FOR THE MONEY THEN CAN YOU REALLY BLAME HIM.

I BLAME CORNWALL AND THOSE WHOM LOOK OVER THE FOOTBALL IN THIS AREA FOR LETTING THE MONEY SITUATION GET OUT OF HAND.

ITS NOT IMPROVING THE STANDARD ITS MAKING IT WHOLE LOT WORSE.

I SUPPOSE THE SAME PLAYERS WILL BE AT A DIFFERENT CLUB NEXT SEASON IF THERE IS MORE MONEY THERE.

come on then Dave you see what Jonesy has to say so put up or shut, or dont you fancy being wrong???

Not quite sure why the agrressive tone Slim Vic?

It's not really a case of being wrong, as the fact is that we will never know the exact figures being paid out. Some of them suggested must be pure fiction (well I hope so anyway), like I touched on with Falmouth. :)

Maybe there are top teams with budgets lower than what people would suspect

Torpoint and Launceston perhaps?!

I BLAME CORNWALL AND THOSE WHOM LOOK OVER THE FOOTBALL IN THIS AREA FOR LETTING THE MONEY SITUATION GET OUT OF HAND.

ITS NOT IMPROVING THE STANDARD ITS MAKING IT WHOLE LOT WORSE.

This situation is really nothing new, it's been going on for years! The only issue these days is that probably because the standard of football is questionably not so good, lesser players are purportingly getting silly money!

I say "purportingly" because unless an ex-manager or ex-player comes on here and tells us exactly what he use to pay out or receive - we will never know.

Some of the figures you hear mentioned these days are no way true. Well that is unless the clubs concerned are absolutely mad!!! Good luck to the players then :D

I think if Bradders was looking to better his football,,Bodmin or the like would have been a better move.

I still think if clubs stoipped paying players stupid amounts of money ,they could improve their facilities and encourage youth development within their clubs and then hopefully creat some club loyalty.

Dave i think your right. I dont think Torpoint or launceston have big budgets for example. Ian Stephens has done a wonderful job at Torpoint with the young players. The same at Launceston, who will always give you a hard game. Torpoint seem to have got an even kneel with money as i believe they have got enough for floodlights. So they have put money into the ground and team.

Just a quick one Dave, teams like Launceston and Torpoint have gone local i guess with players or may have always been. Would you say it is easier for the above because of a bigger catchment area of players, compared to Falmouth going local? I mean what could you class as local for Falmouth? (Penryn or Bodmin area!!??)

All this rubbish about local players and budgets. It's simple. If you want to win things you spend money. That is the way it works at every level.

If you don't have money you have to rely on whats left. As a Falmouth supporter (apparently we all wanted to see the local players given a chance) I would like to pay my money every week and watch a decent football team. Couldn't care less where the players come from.Falmouth don't have a very good side this season but who cares we got local players and they are cheap !!!

when players of this standard are more worried about money then its ridiculous!!

many of them think they are actually much better than they really are and when they sometimes step down and play at a lower level( either to get back to match fitness or coz the manager of the lower league side has slipped them a few quid) they rae the biggest bunch of whinging girls around!!!

ive only played as far as combo( before the peninsular league) and ECPL ( when it was one league) and only play junior football now but you notice it when you see players getting reinstated, you can tell who the ones are who have recently played senior football coz they whinge and if you go near them squel liek stuck pigs!

An interesting topic. I noticed today that the Penzance ladies team who won promoition to the third level had to postpone their match against Yeovil Town today with next weeks match against Plymouth Argyle looking already in doubt. The reason appears to be lack of players. Perhaps Penzance could spare some of their loose change for the ladies team.

Guest Postie Pidge

IVE SPOKEN TO BRADDERS AND HE HAS TOLD ME HE HAS LEFT US AT NEWQAUY NOT FOR THE MONEY BUT TO BETTER HIMSELF AS A FOOTBALLER.

Why did he sign for Falmouth only to go back down to Division 1 West?

Why is it ridiculous for anyone to leave a club and go and get payed somewhere Cat? Be honest, if someone offered you £50, or more, to leave the club you currently play for you would go. End of the day we all have rent, mortgages, kids, beer shopping to pay for so if someone offers you cash to do something you love doing why the hell not?

Obviously in an ideal world we would all play locally for clubs we love but this is far from an ideal world!

ECLP: I can confirm that Penzance Ladies were short of players - not money!

Incidentally, while they use our facilities and also play in black & white, Penzance Ladies F.C. are a seperate Club from Penzance AFC; they have their own committee, are seperately affiliated and make all their own decisions. Having said that, there is a close association between the two Clubs and we do work closely together as far as that is possible.

In answer to Jonesy - there probably can't be more of a local team in the league than Launceston. They have 9 first teamers that live IN Launceston and don't forget they haven't just competed in the league, but have also won 2 cup finals and been runners up in 1 over the last 3 years. And I suspect also with probably one of the smallest budgets, possibly about a third of Witheridge's - who they beat on Saturday! :D

At the end of the day like some people have already said, if there is more money on offer somewhere else then the players are gonna go, its happened for years and will only continue to do so for the years ahead and the money going up, up and up.

For the sake of PZ though yes they have someone who is willing to sponsor them and sponsor them very generosly lets hope it continues for years to come but if it doesn`t they alone will be the only ones that suffer the loss but the worst that can happen is they come back to where they started at. and lets be honest no club is gonna turn down money.

:SM_carton: Dave - you really don't do clubs any favours by constantly talking about their budgets - the truth is none of the 'media' really know, they operate on inside information, which is highly dubious. Clubs produce a team which competes against others, on a number of diferrent levels. Cost, pitches, reserve strength, junior set up, back up teams etc;

When the football leagues have match reports I dont read all about the budgets of the various clubs.

Lets just concentrate on the success or failure of clubs on the pitch, the pros ans cons of the game, not blame budgets all the time. :D

Sorry Home Waters but I didn't start this topic. Anyway I can't really see how it hurts - no figures have been quoted and we all pretty much know who the "big boys" are anyway.

However, it's a fact, money does help! As confirmed by the man in charge of the Olympics "Team GB" - Simon Legge is it - he was on the radio telling us that "money talks" when discussing the success we had over there.

I was on the way back from watching the Truro match - now I wonder what their budget is? Ooops sorry - I can't help myself - :SM_carton_y:

Guest Dermot

Full Stop...... Lee has gone to Penzance to try and win trophys and not for the money,ask the lad yourself as I did today and the truth will come out,good luck to Lee & Penzance. ;0) :c:

Full Stop...... Lee has gone to Penzance to try and win trophys and not for the money,ask the lad yourself as I did today and the truth will come out,good luck to Lee & Penzance. ;0) :c:

Yeah right

Im sure they are all there for the trophies and not the money.......NOT

Many of them have won trophies at much higher levels

Shame they cant just openly admit it really.

The only money that should be of intrest to a supporter is the cost to see the match, all other money problems are with the club committee,s. Im not interested one bit as to how much players get in expences, as long as the admission price is fair then thats all that matters.

:SM_carton_y:

This argument gets so boring. Lee reason for joining Penzance is much the same as mine, westy, Luds, Harry etc Yeah we get expenses but they are no where near the fabricated figure I heard on saturday from various people (well mine certaintly isnt). Its about challenging for honours and being part of something, learning stuff from successful football people like of Trevor, Glynn and Ray N. The majority of the lads stay behind in the bar after training and games and its a genuinely a good laugh and an enjoyable place to be. Go to the majority of clubs around and the place is empty with 45 minutes of the match ending with very few if any players left, its certaintly a different story at Penzance. I get less in expenses than I have recieved for 4/5 years but its easy for club officials, managers and supporters to con themselves for the reason they havnt got the players is because 'they asked for too much money' and 'couldnt compete with what he was getting down the road'. In most cases they probably havnt shown real desire in getting the players anyway. The fail safe excuse for failure is not enough money and to blame the culture of the players for wanting more money. But give them a proven manager, decent pitch, good bunch of players, nice kit and good training facilities then these are a greater pull than the money which really doesnt go anywhere after youve replaced the petrol in the car, paid your fines bought and couple of drinks I dont have enough left to buy a KFC :thumbsup: . Or certaintly not one that would fill a fat git like me up.

Not looking for people to justify their decision , just admit that the money is a big factor.

I'd have no doubt done the same when i had a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed.

Best thing for the West Division is that PZ take promotion and return things to a more level playing field.

Although ,should the money run out???? Who knows where they will end up.

But I'm sure they will all stick around for the love of the club and play for nothing :lol:

Of course money is a factor for those lucky enough to be offered it, who would turn down a few bucks to do something you love doing!? And as Mills stated earlier a big factor would be the lads you are joining up with Westy is a good friend of his, he knows couple others from last season at Port as well as those he has played against over the years with his numourous clubs :P . There is no point talking about this really, yes people get paid always have always will yes some of us will think they deserve it some will think they dont some will say we should not have anyone getting paid at any level other than petrol allowance but lets be honest that will never happen even if a rule is brought in. To summarise, those of you moaning regularly about this get on with it and good luck to those lads lucky enough to get some spending money on a Saturday afternoon

Guest striker

Of course money is a factor for those lucky enough to be offered it, who would turn down a few bucks to do something you love doing!? And as Mills stated earlier a big factor would be the lads you are joining up with Westy is a good friend of his, he knows couple others from last season at Port as well as those he has played against over the years with his numourous clubs :P . There is no point talking about this really, yes people get paid always have always will yes some of us will think they deserve it some will think they dont some will say we should not have anyone getting paid at any level other than petrol allowance but lets be honest that will never happen even if a rule is brought in. To summarise, those of you moaning regularly about this get on with it and good luck to those lads lucky enough to get some spending money on a Saturday afternoon

As i said earlier,as an ex player and manager,and now a supporter,as long as the players give 100% on the pitch,and the sponsor is happy,which i no they are,then so be it,its been a long time coming for pz,and its an exciting time for the club,ive been very jealous of other clubs finances for years,now its our turn,and im going to enjoy every bloody minute,i dont care what expenses the players get,its been happening for years,if a player is good enough,he will be offered money by more than 1 club,and with rent,mortgages,and the price of fuel.i dont blame him ,them 1 bit,millsey you heve been 1st glass so far,keep it up

I THINK WE ALL JUST NEED TO GET ON WITH WHATEVER REASONS PLAYERS ARE AT DIFFERENT CLUBS IS DOWN TO THOSE PLAYERS. WHETHER IT BE MONEY, TROPHIES,FACILITIES ITS DOWN TO THE PLAYER.

THE MONEY PROBLEM IS MOSTLY THE PLAYERS FAULTS THEY GET A CERTAIN AMOUNT AND THEN TELL OTHER PEOPLE THEY ARE ON A LOT MORE THAN THEY REALLY ARE TO BIG THEMSELVES UP. WHATEVER THEY ARE ON THEY SHOULD KEEP QUIET AND GET ON WITH IT.

I HAD IT LAST SEASON PEOPLE COMING UP TO ME SAYING CERTAIN PLAYERS HAVE PRIVATE SPONSORS AND IT WAS TOTAL RUBBISH AND JUST CAUSED PROBLEMS.

GOOD LUCK BRADDERS AND JAMES APART FM WHEN YOU PLAY NEWQUAY THAT IS.........

Guest Peppermint

Yes good luck to Lee for the season and thanks for what you did for Newquay last season. I will echo what Winno says and hope that when you play Newquay is the only time you don't play well.

James Miller - I am now so mortified with your sob story that I am about to arrange a half time collection when you come to Mount Wise for you so you can buy a KFC on the way home!

This argument gets so boring. Lee reason for joining Penzance is much the same as mine, westy, Luds, Harry etc Yeah we get expenses but they are no where near the fabricated figure I heard on saturday from various people (well mine certaintly isnt). Its about challenging for honours and being part of something, learning stuff from successful football people like of Trevor, Glynn and Ray N. The majority of the lads stay behind in the bar after training and games and its a genuinely a good laugh and an enjoyable place to be. Go to the majority of clubs around and the place is empty with 45 minutes of the match ending with very few if any players left, its certaintly a different story at Penzance. I get less in expenses than I have recieved for 4/5 years but its easy for club officials, managers and supporters to con themselves for the reason they havnt got the players is because 'they asked for too much money' and 'couldnt compete with what he was getting down the road'. In most cases they probably havnt shown real desire in getting the players anyway. The fail safe excuse for failure is not enough money and to blame the culture of the players for wanting more money. But give them a proven manager, decent pitch, good bunch of players, nice kit and good training facilities then these are a greater pull than the money which really doesnt go anywhere after youve replaced the petrol in the car, paid your fines bought and couple of drinks I dont have enough left to buy a KFC :thumbsup: . Or certaintly not one that would fill a fat git like me up.

I dont think many of the now penzance players who played at port last season stayed for longer than 45 minutes after a game when they was playing at porthleven last season so yes you are probably right there.

I dont think many of the now penzance players who played at port last season stayed for longer than 45 minutes after a game when they was playing at porthleven last season so yes you are probably right there.

Westy and I always stayed on until at least 6 o clock with it normally being nearer 7pm, including 10.30pm after training, so either you've been misinformed or you you cant see, either that or your deaf because even from a mile away Westy can normally be heard very clearly :yahoo:

Probably the best statement ever, i am indeed deaf so your probably right. :thumbsup:

IN REPLY TO LEE BRADD PLAYING FOR MONEY, I DOUBT IF THIS IS THE CASE, WHEN I WAS MANAGER OF ST STEPHEN AFC 1ST TEAM A COUPLE OF SEASONS AGO, BRADDERS PLAYED FOR ME ON A COUPLE OF OCCASSIONS AND HE PAID HIS SUBS LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!

ALSO WHY DID HE STAY AT NEWQUAY LAST SEASON IF HE WAS PLAYING FOR MONEY?