Cornwall Football Forum

Combo League RESULTS Saturday 23rd August

Guest Helston Patriot

Helston 4-0 Ludgvan

Eddy Dunn 2, Colin Kettle, Mike Hallibone.

Should of been 10, think barry in goal touched the ball twice in the scond half. Credit to ludgvan never stopped battling and nearly went 1-0 but it was ruled out. Best of luck for the season :c:

Croud 30ish

Perranwell 6-2 Newquay

A very bizarre game at Perranwell today, Newquay didn't really seem to get into the game and looked a bit jaded from the efforts against Perranporth on Tuesday. That said, Newquay managed to find themselves 2-0 up late on in the second half, Joff Bunt curling home (although the 'keeper may have done better) and Shaun Lawrence curled home a quick free kick with the goalkeeper Easterbrook AWOL. Although Luke Whelden hit a post and Mike Rabone should have added to the tally, Perranwell found Newquay goalkeeper James Merrikin in fine form in the first half and somehow managed to squander at least half a dozen very good chances.

Late in the first half, a cross hit Martin Atkinson just outside the goal area and the referee gave a free-kick for handball. It seemed a little on the harsh side but Mike Brewer managed to squeeze the ball home from 20 yards. 2-1 at half time seemed to be a generous score in Newquay's favour and the second half was always going to be interesting.

It started off in the strangest way possible, Perranwell were awarded two penalties in the opening five minutes of the half and coverted both. The first penalty appeared soft at best, Steve Brewer seemed to lose control of the ball and collided with the defender and the referee pointed to the spot, even Ieuan Boon thought it was dodgy so that was convincing enough for me! It is amazing what an influence such decisions can have on the game. For the second, Perranwell's striker went through on goal, rounded the keeper and left his foot in, to be honest we'd all have done the same but they were both the types of penalty you don't mind in your favour but you hate to concede! Credit to Mike Brewer who slotted them both home to score a ten-minute hat-trick.

There were a number of half chances at both ends before TJ Wilson jinked inside from the right and finished off with a curler into the far corner, Steve Brewer added a fifth when put clean through on goal and Jake Harvey added a sixth with a late header.

Newquay continued to press in an attempt to salvage a consolation goal and came close on a couple of occasions, but credit to Perranwell who battled back from two down for a resounding win. A very disappointing result for Newquay, who felt that they had a chance after beating Perranwell 4-2 at Mount Wise at the end of last season.

Ref watch - never easy if he thinks he is being assessed. Three bookings (all very fair) and a couple of big decisions that changed the game. It's always a bit on the frustrating side when the referee knows most of a team on first name terms, but Cornwall is a very small place! A fairly solid performance and didn't put up with any grief from both teams.

Crowd approx 40.

Porthleven reserves 2-1 St Day

the game started with st day doing all the pressing and were nearly rewarded for their efforts when perran cooke who was unmarked at the far post could only manage to place his header over the bar. as the game went on port found their rythm and started to play better footbal,although neither side looked like tacking their chances, and when the port striker missed an open goal from fully three yards out it looked like it was going to be a tale of missed chances. (early contender for miss of the season. Kanu for west brom two years ago springs to mind)

the second half was much the same as the first only st day managed to put the ball in the back of the net following good work from perran cooke who centred a ball to st day new boy rodney gregory who rammed the ball home at the second attempt. port then piled on the pressure in order to salvege something from the game. they went close with a shot fron 25yds which st days no1 managed to tip over the bar. the resulting corner was cleared but the st day defence were slow pushing up and were caught short with a good cross whic was headed in at the far post. port sensed they could get a winner and did with virtually the last kick of the game when a long punt upfield eluded the defender and the port striker ran the ball to the by-line and cut it back to his team mate who's shot was tipped onto the post by the keeper who could only watch as the ball rebounded off the inside of the post and see a port player smash the ball into the roof of the net to the despair of the st day faithfull. the final whistle was blown within 30 seconds of the restart. F.T 2-1

ref watch- probably a verygood ref but today i didn't feel he controlled the game, i think both managers will agree he could have done better, but on the whole not too bad. he comunicated with the players all game and earned a lot of respect that way.

crowd 50 ish

Well whoever yor are Mitch you have the skill's to write in the tabloid's!!

I was at that game as i have been involved as a player! Committee ( well you know what i mean? ) And Chairman! And i will watch every game if i can!

But your report was almost perfect!!

And you are not like some on here as blinkered!!!! You see both sides of the coin! :thumbsup: :c:

Thanks Kempy. It never a nice feeling to lose and even though it was immensely frustrating to be on the end of that scoreline, it's really frustrating to hear excuses and justification for a defeat so I tried to be as objective as I possibly could. We all recognise that we were beaten by a better side today, on another day the luck could have been on our side and we could have come away with a point or even three. But that is football and every single one of us has sampled the highs and lows of playing local football, yet we still come back for more. That says a lot...

I'm sure Perranwell will do very well this season, I can promise we'll do all we can to pinch the points at Mount Wise.

I fancied our lads at 'treath to get something down at St Just but at least that fixture is now out of the way,

does any one know what the game was like, I heard we were unlucky, hit the upright & cross bar, St J only had two attempts and scored both, thats the difference on the day I suppose...I'll be back in the squad as of Tuesday and I am looking forward to getting back into my footie. Haven't done anything since April apart from eat & drink.