Cornwall Football Forum

The 'Ashes' at Bickland

SWPL(P) FALMOUTH TOWN v SALTASH UNITED 3-00pm

Finishing 3rd and then last season runners up Saltash United are strongly tipped to take the SWPL crown from Bodmin.

Only losing one player during the close season The 'Ashes' have considerably strengthened their squad with Manley and Maddern from Bodmin,Edwards from Parkway,Parnell from St.Blazey and of course two from Falmouth.

Brinton Nute(who collected most of Falmouth's end of season awards) makes his first appearance of the season from suspension (ironically from the brawl playing for Town against Saltash).

Also in the team will be Matt Godfree making a quick return to Bickland Park.

Carlton Farnham another Town favourite will be on show plus Toby Clark who has represented Falmouth Town Reserves.

Saltash have not had the best of starts due to suspensions and injury and have only one point with a home draw v Wadebridge and losing at Ivybridge.

A disappointing exit from the FA Cup against Dorset side Gillingham Town they will be all out for their first success of the season

2.0 to Saltash. I think Falmouth competed more in this game than the Parkway game. But just didnt have the quality in the end. It is going to be a very long season for Falmouth unless a couple of quality players are brought in. We seem to be very weak in Midfield relying on combination standard players. But we did create some chances today and on another day may have been taken. Hopefully the manager is tapping up players. UP THE TOWN.

SWPL(P) FALMOUTH TOWN 0 (0) SALTASH UNITED 2(1) corners 11/16 Est Att.??????

scorers-Carlton Farnham 19min;Stuart Clark 72min

Falmouth-

Chris Symons;Steve Hawke(Neil Slateford h/t);Tom Hunter;Damon Mulready(Capt);Dave Rawlings;Chris Peck;Sam Hunter;Shaun Halford(Wayne Hewitt h/t);Glen SquiresAndy Bowker;Bobby Bryant:Subs.Not Used Matt Moore;Frazer Cadman:

Saltash-

Chris Wearing;Paul Edwards;Steve Sargison;Toby Clark;Brinton Nute;Simon Parnell;Stuart Clark;Shaun Manley(Capt);Carlton Farnham;Glen Palmer;Danny Lewis(Carl Pender 85m);Subs. Not Used Tony Bouch;Levi Landricombe;

Referee Stephen Paul Camelford.

Assistants Graham Allen(Mevagissey) & Liam Mankee (Redruth)

Bookings-

FT(instant Yellows)-Peck 52m;Squires 77m;Bryant 83m

SU (Stern Lectures) Nil

I agree with you Jonsey, Falmouth have a very small squad bolstered by mainly Combination League players.

The lads today put in an exceptional effort and always looked to pass the ball to player but it was that extra experience of the visitors that made it so difficult to create.

At best I can see maybe a mid table finish but cannot see any improvement on todays performance and a clutch of established name players is needed to go forward.

One plus factor is the revelation of Dave Rawlings at the heart of defence who has taken his opportunity to step up from JCCL to SWPL(P).Reminds me of Paul Kneebone who took the same path in the early nineties.

2.0 to Saltash. I think Falmouth competed more in this game than the Parkway game. But just didnt have the quality in the end. It is going to be a very long season for Falmouth unless a couple of quality players are brought in. We seem to be very weak in Midfield relying on combination standard players. But we did create some chances today and on another day may have been taken. Hopefully the manager is tapping up players. UP THE TOWN.

Isn't that supposed to happen during the summer ?