Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Combination League

19th August 2008

Penzance Reserves 2-1 Holman SC

The spectators at Penzance were treated to some good end to end football tonight with both teams going all out to gain the 3 points on offer. Unfortunately at times Holman SC tried to rough up Penzance which was rather stupid because when they weren’t trying their bullying tactics they played some neat passing and attacking football.

The game played under the floodlights at Penlee Park was Penzance’s first of the season whilst Holman lost 4-3 at Wendron at the weekend.

During the first few minutes of the game both teams try speculative long range shots that go well wide. Penzance press forward and a low shot is well saved by ex-Magpie Paul Williams pushing it away for a corner, which is cleared. Penzance then break down the right, cross and a Jamie Devine header is finger tipped onto the bar. The ball bounces back out to him, he shoots but his shot rebounds off the upright. Penzance push forward with Holman putting in some quite fierce tackles. The game carries on in this vein for the first 15mins but Holman weather the storm and get back into the game putting together some neat moves to threaten the Penzance defence. The ball is crossed from the left, Mark Grenfell loses the ball whilst trying to clear the box and a fierce shot is tipped over by Craig Nicholls for a corner. Next they try a clever lob from 40yds out which goes just over the bar with the Penzance keeper scrambling back to cover.

Homan now have Penzance on the back foot and another low shot just skims past the left hand upright. Penzance try to force attacks but every time they go forward they find themselves offside. They do get one break when Jamie Devine runs down the left, crosses and Shane Richards runs in but his 12yd shot is just wide. In one of the best moves of the game Liam Devine picks up the ball in his penalty area, runs 60yds with it. He then puts through a ball to Jamie Devine who’s volley scrapes the paint off the top of the crossbar.

Another Holman shot is kept out by a fingertip save. A Penzance free kick centre midfield brings out a good save by Paul Williams. Penzance start to turn the screw and start pressing for the opening goal. A break on the left sees the Holman keeper drawn out, the ball is crossed and Shane Richards misses a sitter into an empty net from 6yds out. Jamie Devine then has a shot from 20yds out that really rattles the crossbar but the ball bounces back into play and is cleared. The last action of the half sees Holman shooting just wide.

H-T

The deadlock is finally broken in the 49th minute. A long through ball from the halfway line sees Ashley Thomas pick it up, run into the box from the right and fire a rising shot from 12yds out that gives the keeper no chance. 1-0, 49mins.

Penzance push forward to increase their lead. They get a corner on the left, putting it into the centre of the box where Liam Devine reacts first but his header just skims the bar. His brother Jamie is brought down by another two footed tackle, says something to the ref who then books him for dissent.

Holman try a shot from 25yds which is deflected out for a corner. The corner is wasted. Penzance then get a corner but it’s punched clear. A Penzance break on the left sees a cross goal pass to Ashley Thomas who blasts it from 12yds and the keeper palms it away for a corner. The corner comes in and James Street heads the ball onto the bar.

Matt Davis of Holman is then booked for dissent.

Then Penzance make a couple of substitutions. Sam Long for Ross Badcock on 69mins and Tom Widdecome for Liam Devine on 73mins.

Penzance put pressure on the Holman defence on the right but a quick shot by Shane Richards is blocked.

Penzance finally double their lead. A through ball to Sam Long in the box sees him turn his marker who decides to cling on and shirt pull. The infringement is seen by ref Simon Way who points to the spot. Ashley Thomas steps up and puts the ball low to the keepers right. 2-0, 78mins.

Holman then score strait from the kick-off. They pass the ball out to the right, cross into the middle and Tony Eddy shoots low from the edge of the box to score. 2-1, 79mins.

The goal rattles Penzance who had controlled the game for the previous 15mins and Holman push forward for the equaliser playing some of their best football of the game. They get a free kick on the right, put the ball in but head just over the bar. A long range shot goes just wide of the Penzance upright.

Penzance waste a few seconds substituting Danny Michaels for Bradley Wills in the 87th min.

The last action of the game sees Penzance forcing a couple of corners which are wasted.

Penzance Reserves from Craig Nicholls, Ryan Holland, Mark Grenfell, James Street, Ryan Andrew, Jamie Devine, Bradley Wills, Liam Devine, Ashley Thomas, Ross Badcock, Shane Richards,

Subs Tom Widdecome (for L Devine 73mins), Sam Long (R Badcock 69mins), Danny Michael (for B Wills 87mins), Ian Philips, Zack Podd, Adam Flood

Holman SC from Paul Williams, Tom Hogarth, Rob Hosking, Joe Cooper, Mark Uren, Tony Eddy, Matt Davis, Mark Wade, Andy Miles, Danny Scorer, Nick Medlin, Adam Freefy, Mohammed Subu, Danny Jewel, Lee Burdens

In our opinion the Penzance man of the match was Jamie Devine.

Corner count Penzance 9-3 Holman (3-2 1st half)

Head count 73, up from last seasons 45 with many from Holman SC.

Guest striker

A good game,penzance have some good youngsters coming threw the ranks,Ryan Holland a pick of them,always wanting the ball,which is great to see,Referee was a clown,Holmans should of been down to ten men in the first half ,afterone 1 holmans player holding down one of the pz youngsters by the throat,The ref didnt have the balls to send him off ,not even a yellow,but what do you expect from mr way,the refs want respect,well that goes out the window when theres no protection for players.Holmans tatics from the 1st whistle was to kick the youngsters.Gladly it didnt work,and Pz got the 3pts they deserved.

A good game,penzance have some good youngsters coming threw the ranks,Ryan Holland a pick of them,always wanting the ball,which is great to see,Referee was a clown,Holmans should of been down to ten men in the first half ,afterone 1 holmans player holding down one of the pz youngsters by the throat,The ref didnt have the balls to send him off ,not even a yellow,but what do you expect from mr way,the refs want respect,well that goes out the window when theres no protection for players.Holmans tatics from the 1st whistle was to kick the youngsters.Gladly it didnt work,and Pz got the 3pts they deserved.

Totally agree with you striker, how can a referee watch a player get on top of someone on the floor hold them by the throat and push them in the face, then not do a thing about it. The worst thing about it was the same player had been kicking and pushing people all game.

you wouldnt say that small man syndrome s--t to his face im a penzance fan have been for thirty years and it was handbags. ref was disgusting but so is ctb at running the line i thought he was there best player

Guest striker

you wouldnt say that small man syndrome s--t to his face im a penzance fan have been for thirty years and it was handbags. ref was disgusting but so is ctb at running the line i thought he was there best player

I dont have a problem saying it to his face,no 6 i believe.i have been sent off for alot less,ref has no balls,didnt want caddy on his back

I watched this game and dont no what all the fuss is about? Both teams were diving into tackles but made for a full blooded and very entertaining game.

I watched this game and dont no what all the fuss is about? Both teams were diving into tackles but made for a full blooded and very entertaining game.

Yeah thats right Phats..... Ashley Thomas is well known for his full blooded tackles!

You can't be serious when you say Penzance were dishing out anything like the fouls some (not all) of your players were guilty of!

A bit of honesty goes along way mate!

I try to be as honest as I can with these reports because I aslo send them off to the press.

In my book I wrote

"7mins Holmans roughing Penzance Up"

"Penzance pressure 8-15mins, trying to play football"

"Jamie Devine booked for dissent after ref blew for 2 footed tackle on him"

"Penzance penalty for holding in the box"

"Holmans pushing, great football, desparate Penzance defence"

Holmans could have made a better game of it and ruined it for themselves by committing a series of petty fouls but sometimes some of them were a bit clinical. As I reported they played some good football when they decided to give up the rough stuff.

CTB

Guest postman pat

ctb i thought your report was pretty accurate.

one thing left out was the constant winging of the penzance players at every descision.

with so many young players in the side surely it is the responsibility of the senior players to set an example.when you have young players swearing when descisions are made then,when the league games start they will be watching games rather than playing them. :c:

Guest postman pat

i was not talking about challenges i was talking about descisions you try being an official and see how easy it is when everything you do is wrong in certain individuals eyes. :c: you get a player who has been subbed telling you, you made a mistake (shouting at the top of his voice )when he does not even know the rules. its called RESPECT :c::drink: its easy to hide behind your team.at least the officials have the balls to stand on their own.

Its called frustration at having lumps kicked out of you all game and the ref not doing anything about it!

The fact of it is that a lot of the refs are not fit enough to keep up with play and miss an awful lot....

Are you telling me you never saw the player on the floor being grabbed by the throat and pushed in the face?

The words below were part of my report of last season's match at Holmans

HOLMAN SC 7-2 PENZANCE RESERVES

Great to see at this time no one was backing out of the fierce tackling. A couple from Holman were 2 footed and in the air. In the Premiership you’d be sent off for them. One leaves Alfie Turner with a nasty graze on his knee which forces him off just after half-time.

Then a Holman player goes into Jimmy with a nasty tackle and Jack, Jimmy’s brother comes in and has a go at the player. He gets a booking for his sins, but like we say bloods thicker than water.

There's no need for the rough stuff.

the problem with combo and pen leagues is no official linesmen i,m afraid,they are there to assist the referee but how many times do you see "incidents" off the ball and the lino does,nt see a thing?yet all game he,s been seeing offsides that no-one else has seen.Very lonely job out there sometimes and RESPECT seems to be the word of today.

Guest plonker

st justice you are right you got to be fit, i,am not fit as this was my first game of the season,as i done only one friendly this season but will get fitter as the season goes on ,also hard to ref under the lights .only human , and we all make mistakes....... :c:

Guest striker

st justice you are right you got to be fit, i,am not fit as this was my first game of the season,as i done only one friendly this season but will get fitter as the season goes on ,also hard to ref under the lights .only human , and we all make mistakes....... :c:

you should be fit,you have all summer to get fit,not fit then turn the game down,you want respect then get fit.thats a lame excuse.ive not seen you fit,even when you tried to play,your quick enough to get the card out if someone swears at you,you deserved it,a crap display by you.

Fair do's Plonker at least your honest....I know its a hard job, I just feel their were times during that game you needed to be braver. Players lose RESPECT for ref's when it seems other players are getting away with bad challenges.

Guest striker

Fair do's Plonker at least your honest....I know its a hard job, I just feel their were times during that game you needed to be braver. Players lose RESPECT for ref's when it seems other players are getting away with bad challenges.

ur right st justice.i no its a hard job,but you have to get control of game early on,or players take control.thats what happened,they knew plonker wasnt up to it,even a yellow card would of helped;but a passing word in his ear was taking the p,they knew from that minute what they could get away with,

I can't believe the grief your giving the ref for a mistake he made. How many players made mistakes??????

And going on about fitness and 'keeping up with play', players train at least once a week players get subbed if their having a bad day, refs don't they have to continue no matter what because if they give up then theres no game. Seems that some of you would rather no game. You've been moaning about it for nearly a week, GROW UP. The refs said he never saw it, end of. Get off his back, if you can do better go for it. :angry2:

Guest striker

I can't believe the grief your giving the ref for a mistake he made. How many players made mistakes??????

And going on about fitness and 'keeping up with play', players train at least once a week players get subbed if their having a bad day, refs don't they have to continue no matter what because if they give up then theres no game. Seems that some of you would rather no game. You've been moaning about it for nearly a week, GROW UP. The refs said he never saw it, end of. Get off his back, if you can do better go for it. :angry2:

no excuse for not being fit,he was too far away from play,couldnt keep up with play,a player gets dropped if he plays badly,what happens to the ref,sod all,hes not good enough or fit enough for this level,as for growing up,we r aloud our say.

no excuse for not being fit,he was too far away from play,couldnt keep up with play,a player gets dropped if he plays badly,what happens to the ref,sod all,hes not good enough or fit enough for this level,as for growing up,we r aloud our say.

If what happened was that bad then surely one of the lineos or a player would of brought it to the refs attention. The ref doesn't have eyes in the back of his head he can't see everything. He is not super human he does and will make mistakes.

Your aloud your say but to name and then slate the ref, thats out of order. And i will respond, because like you said 'we r aloud our say'.

:P

Guest striker

If what happened was that bad then surely one of the lineos or a player would of brought it to the refs attention. The ref doesn't have eyes in the back of his head he can't see everything. He is not super human he does and will make mistakes.

Your aloud your say but to name and then slate the ref, thats out of order. And i will respond, because like you said 'we r aloud our say'.

u made me laugh,very good,hes not good enough end of,i was there,i no you wasnt,you cant comment,he has no balls,even as a player,good nite my love

u made me laugh,very good,hes not good enough end of,i was there,i no you wasnt,you cant comment,he has no balls,even as a player,good nite my love

He has more balls then you, he became a ref, and that takes more balls then being a player coming on a public forum and slating someone for doing a job.

Guest crosser

Let me guess when you were little (you probably still are) when things weren't going your way you uttered those words "its my ball and I'm taking it" didn't you.

In one part you say "r aloud our say" then you say "i was there,i no you wasnt, you cant comment" (great spelling by the way thats what put me on to you being little) so on one hand you can comment but only if you were there??? maybe you should be more specific or maybe ask the site admin to post rules stating please only post on topics you were at????. Anita hasn't commented on a particular incident she has just said get over it, which you quite clearly haven't. When you grow up big and strong you will understand things a bit better, maybe you should ask your mummy to explain things to you.

I cannot believe that people think it's O.K. to publically make such comments about match officials, particularly when they don't have the decency to reveal their own identity. It is clear why the F.A. are so keen on introducing their "Respect Campaign" - there is obviously a great lack of it in some quarters.

I hope you don't play in the Duchy League Striker or you may find a certain Arsenal-loving lady ref in the centre circle waiting for you one day and you'd better pray it's not her "time of the month" that day!!!

I've written this in nice bg letters cos I know you'll be struggling to get your eyes off Crossers avatar (that's the picture of the bouncing boobies underneath his name, dear)

Ronin, i think he plays down west :) If i'm right his the one that only ever comes on here to start. Last season it was because we never went into the club house down PZ. He never has anything nice to say about anyone or thing, and seems to have a 'moan' once a season. :P :drink:

Go easy everyone please. I've had to tone down a couple postings, and also sent someone a PM.

However I would say, the same way that we comment on players' poor performances on here, it doesn't preclude anyone to do the same on officials or anyone else involved with football. From time to time we all deserve criticism and hopefully can learn from it. :D

Guest striker

Go easy everyone please. I've had to tone down a couple postings, and also sent someone a PM.

However I would say, the same way that we comment on players' poor performances on here, it doesn't preclude anyone to do the same on officials or anyone else involved with football. From time to time we all deserve criticism and hopefully can learn from it. :D

thats all i have done ,had my say,when i see any official have a good game i tell them,as i did last night at the pz game against mousehole,he had a great game,kept up with play,and was fair to both teams,well done to all officials,5.0 to pz,a lesson in football

Well Hi Dave i have to support your views totally! You may say what you! as last year i did make some comments which i shouldn't have done! so this season i will think before i write! as when we get typing ( well we did metalwork in my day!) we get carried a way don't we? So guy's personal a no no! Yeh? And i am not sexist! Gal's too!! :c:

altho i couldnt agree more with you about refs not being dropped or punished, we cant just axe them most refs make a big desision a game which means one team will hate him and one will love him...

plus there arnt enough as there is