Cornwall Football Forum

newquay ahead against perranporth

Newqauy 2nds look a class outfit this year,

Based on tonight Lee? I was told they had at least four first teamers on the pitch tonight!

Good attendance though - at least 100 by my guess.

FACT: There was 1 person from the 1st team squad in the squad tonight and that was Scott Palmer. Luke Whelden is a second team player at newquay, they were also missing nathan prentice, carl jolly, myself if I ever recover from injury and martin atkinson!!. Ronin your sources are wrong.

Newquay first team squad:Chatfield, Jose, Rose, Morris, Harvey, Hartigan, middleton, mckune, bicknell, kellow, bradd, ribgy, dave rabone, pullen, Winnan, Hawkey PALMER (Sorry if ive missed anyone!!)

Name me one 1st teamer in that 2nd team squad other than Palmer, just because you drew a game, doesnt mean the other team put in first teamers, that is the Newquay 2nd team squad for the season and should be congratulated for there performance, not falsely accused of putting in first teamers, maybe a couple of apologies should be made! However on that performance I wouldnt be suprised if some of those lads push for a first team place, Newquay have an excellent young squad and knowing the 3 very respected managers (Jim/Winno and bicknell) they will pick the first team squad on merit and not run newquay as 2 seperate clubs. Well done Newquay 2nds cracking result and good luck for the season :drink:

Just out of interset, who were the "at least four" 1st team squad members. I also find it fascinating that people who have nothing to do with Newquay football club can tell who is in the first team squad when they haven't actually played a game yet!!

PERRAN HAD 15 1ST TEAMERS IN THEIR SQUAD TONIGHT! :drink:

From what I could gather there was only one 1st team player in the Newquay side, that being Scott Palmer. Newquay played the game like a cup final and thoroughly deserved their point. Perran didn't seem to get going until Newquay took the lead. Perran should have wrapped it up earlier, hitting the bar and the post and the keeper making an excellent one on one save. Full credit to Newquay they deserved a draw and good to see Matty Darwent turning back the clock with a MOM performance :drink:

Guest Peppermint

What an excellent advert for the Combination League - it was a great game and it just a little disappointing that the the performance of Newquay RESERVES young team could be soured by the claim that Newquay fielded at least 4 First Team players. Grant as already cleared that up by saying that the only player on view tonight who will play in the First Team was Scott Palmer.

Newquay had their game at Callington called off due to a waterlogged pitch and could have played a lot of first team who needed a run out but did not so it is doubly disappointing to have some on the Forum making false accusations about the make up of the team.

Well done to Andy Bicknell's very young team who were a credit to the Club and I am sure will take heart from this performance against the bookies favourities for the title. Captain Adam Weller, Matt Darwent and Joff Bunt were immense tonight and a lot of last year's Under 18 team have done themselves proud.

Kappa 's summing up was spot on and well done to both teams for serving up an excellent end to end game.

Good luck to Perranporth for the rest of the season - and they will probably win the title.

Guest geachy1

Newqauy 2nds look a class outfit this year,

Based on tonight Lee? I was told they had at least four first teamers on the pitch tonight!

Good attendance though - at least 100 by my guess.

that old chestnut :glare:

CTB - you'll be pleased to know that there were no less than 125.5 spectators at the game last night, a cracking local derby. The half was Jim Hilton!

The first half was fairly routine, Scott Palmer (the first team player who hasn't actually played for the first team in the Peninsula League as he spent half of last season with the 2nd team) struck two awesome shots that the 'keeper struggled to hold onto - one being a 35 yard free kick. James Merrikin was on top form to keep the game at 0-0.

In the second half, the game came to life when Palmer rifled the ball into the bottom corner following a quick counter attack. Newquay couldn't hold on as Perranporth equalised within a minute and soon after they were ahead. Perranporth could have put the game out of sight, one shot hitting the bar and bouncing down close to the line. James Merrikin made an outstanding save to keep Newquay in the game, stopping the ball when it seemed to have gone past him.

Within minutes left Andy Harris found himself in the box, a decent first touch (honestly) lined him up to strike and he was crudely taken down in the box for a penalty. Scott hammered home the penalty and although a few nervous moments followed, Newquay did a very good job to hold a strong Perranporth team to a draw.

There was plenty of banter amongst benches and the crowd made a big difference to the game. Matt Darwent gave 110% and put in a cracking man of the match performance, closely followed by Joff Bunt and Shanks. Scott scoring goals seems to be pretty much standard these days. Can anyone recall a keeper of his standard playing outfield and scoring so many goals?!

I too thought it was a great game played with real commitment from both teams. I thought a draw on the night was a fair result. Newquay matched their opponents in all areas on the field and there were some excellent performances from the Newquay boys, Joff Bunt in particular standing out for me. Credit to Perran after going a goal down I was interested to see how the players reacted and wondered whether they would start arguing amonst themselves. They knuckled down and probably had their best spell straight afterwards. There was a good atmosphere and the reaction of both benches when their respective teams scored showed a togetherness that will put both teams in good stead for the season ahead. Good luck to Perran and I eagerly look forward to the return fixture. Good luck to the Newquay boys also, an away game against Perranwell being another difficult fixture in a hard start to the season

All right lads - call off the dogs!!! :( I was told by Sam Moustrides when he came off that there were 4 first team players on the pitch, he did name them but I wasn't really paying that much attention as it shouldn't be a problem for our guys who have beaten both Hayle and St Blazey first teams pre-season as well as Godolphin. If Sam's information is wrong then I apologise - I figured someone who was actually involved in the game would have a better idea than someone sitting on the sidelines.

Personally I think Newquay had a good game and deserved the draw. We had more of the possession but Newquay used their time on the ball better and with more precision. It's a shame our lads needed to go a goal down before they really started battling as ther performance after Newquay scored was pure class, but I'm sure that is something they are aware of and that Rusty and Gossie will work on.

I thought the ref was his usual abysmal self missing blatant fouls and rising to badgering from the home dugout. I also think the Newquay ground staff should mark out the home technical area a bit more clearly as Mr Bicknell obvoiusly couldn't see the lines and spent half the game two yards on the pitch! Larry may have stood for it last night but I know a lot of refs won't.

Thanks to Newquay for their hospitality and the tan I got from their excellent floodlights B) - I'm still seeing spots now!! :wacko: I look forward to the return match at Perranporth on Dec 27th.

Does it really matter how many 1st teamers where played???? Everyone i know who watched the game said it was a really good game of football. And with the amount of people watching surely thats a credit to combo football. All you get on this site is people slating the combo league saying its not as good as it was 10 years ago (or was it 5 <_< ), maybe times are changing, maybe the league is getting better and the standard of football played in it is improving. So rather then bitching about who played and who didn't why can't you just be happy that you got to see a good standard of football, had a little bit of friendly banter and a evening out with a fair result all for £2, bargain :thumbsup:

To me it does matter. I think that the reserves deserve full credit for their performance last night against a very strong perran outfit and claiming first team teamers played takes away the credit for the boys involved. Totally agree with Anita about a great advert for combo football, and a good game played in a competitive but fair spirit. Perran will no doubtably play in much more physical games than that this year.

Ronin, refs always amke mistakes as teams see things differently. I didn't think it was a free kick that led to Perrans second goal and I thought the centre half was quite lucky to get away with a tug/trip on the newquay centre forward in the 1st half when possibly through on goal, but I didn't come on here looking for scape goats!! A good game and a draw was a fair result.

Sammy: A Pearson and Shanks ain't in the first team!!! Ha ha

p.s A strong club this year. Even Lee Hazeldine has had to retire after struggling for a place!!! Ha Ha :SM_carton:

WELL DONE TO NEWQUAY COMBO EXCELLANT PERFORMANCE FULL CREDIT TO BOTH SIDES ON A VERY ENTERTAINING GAME. GOOD ADVERT FOR THE GAME.

AS FOR 1ST TEAM SQUAD AND 2ND TEAM. THERE ISNT ONE WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER AND PLAYERS WILL BE USED WHEN NEEDED OR REQUIRED IN EITHER SIDE AS IT SHOULD BE.

PERRANPORTH ARE FULL OF SOUTH WESTERN LEAGUE PLAYERS AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO MATCH WHATEVER ANY CLUB HAS TO OFFER.

THEY ARE A GOOD ORGANISED OUTFIT AND WILL DO WELL THIS YEAR IM SURE BUT WILL NOT WALK AWAY WITH THE TITLE AS PEOPLE PREDICTED.

KAYNE TREVASKIS WAS THEIR BEST PLAYER BY A MILE. I HOPE ANDY BUTCHERS GROIN GETS BETTER SOON I COULD SEE HE WAS STRUGGLING WITH IT!!!!!

I was told by Sam Moustrides when he came off that there were 4 first team players on the pitch

I think Sam has done a great job to retain his place in the Perranporth side, if I recall he played against Newquay twice last year ... I am sure he'd remember the game in the swamp!

I hope this doesn't detract away from what was an excellent game, looking at some of the results from last night the league could be more open than ever. Well done to portreath who have gone against the pre-season predictions...

Lee - it doesn't matter how hard you try sometimes, I don't think people always pay attention to what they are reading!

Grant the reason I have retired is I cant afford the fines anymore, :SM_carton_y: £300 last season. Too old and slow to make the tackle and too stroppy to accept the refs correct decisions.

also agree with Winno, Kayne Trevaskis is a class player, just imagine if him and Scott Palmer were a partnership, theres a pairing I reckon any defence at any any standard of Cornish football would fear :drink:

HAZEL SSSSHHH. DONT LINK KAYNE WITH NEWQUAY. HES ALREADY BEEN TOLD HE ISNT ALLOWED TO TALK TO ME OR THEY WILL REPORT ME TO THE LEAGUE.

EVEN THOUGH HES MY FRIEND AND IM SURE THATS WHAT FRIENDS DO. THEY TALK TO EACH OTHER. KAYNE WHATS THE TIME PLEASE!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

XXXXXX

Guest Peppermint

Whilst not wanting to make a fuss about this and drag it on - Grant is quite correct because we just wanted the excellent Reserves to get the credit for an excellent performance. With the greatest respect to Sam Moustrides - we that are involved with the Club know more about who are First Team squad players than he does.

I don't know quite know what Rob Hosking is getting at but Jake Hartigan, Sam Mckune and Steve Kellow were not involved last night so what is his point!

Lets leave it that it was an excellent match and was enjoyed by everyone who saw it and this was a great advert for the Combination League.

Finally well done to new Manager Andy Bicknell who has already done an excellent job and it is so nice to see a great number of the Club's Under 18 team involved.

On a lighter note, I had to laugh when they announced over the Tannoy "COULD THE OWNER OF A RED VOLVO PLEASE MOVE YOUR VEHICLE IT IS BLOCKING EVERYONE IN" :SM_carton:

I thought to myself "Who in their right mind would drive a Red Volvo and then block everyone in ? how embarrassing"

2 guesses who's car it was :yahoo: :yahoo:

Guest mariner

Oh my god people defending PERRANPORTH for playing against 1 or if any N.QUAY 1st team r we talkin about the same PERRANPORTH side that were talked about in the off season the team that consists of mainly higher standard footballers and not to mention gos who went to wembly and lifted the FA VASE get real PERRANPORTH supporters and give the N.QUAY team credit u lot clearly expect to beat everyone u play this season LOL

Surely any reserve team, at any club, is there purely to support the first team? The reserve team should be a feeder team into the first team and vice versa.

At the same time the first team may have first team players that need to get fit, or may be coming back from injury. Therefore giving them a couple of reserves games is a must. Therefore i think that it dont matter if there are 3 or 4 players that play in the reserves for a bit of extra fitness or to get fit. Thats what the reserves are for. However i agree that it is unfair if first team players play for the reserves, if they are playing regular for the first team. This would be unfair on the reserve players, who may be dropped to the bench.

In the Newquay case, it sounds like Scot Palmer was the only first teamer. But it proves that it benefited the club as he grapped two goals and perhaps a bit of extra fitness.

What do people think on this issue?

HAZEL SSSSHHH. DONT LINK KAYNE WITH NEWQUAY. HES ALREADY BEEN TOLD HE ISNT ALLOWED TO TALK TO ME OR THEY WILL REPORT ME TO THE LEAGUE.

EVEN THOUGH HES MY FRIEND AND IM SURE THATS WHAT FRIENDS DO. THEY TALK TO EACH OTHER. KAYNE WHATS THE TIME PLEASE!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

XXXXXX

Winno you'll need to get a better looking physio if you want Kayne at Newquay - he's quite cosy on my treatment table!!! :P

WELL DONE TO NEWQUAY COMBO EXCELLANT PERFORMANCE FULL CREDIT TO BOTH SIDES ON A VERY ENTERTAINING GAME. GOOD ADVERT FOR THE GAME.

AS FOR 1ST TEAM SQUAD AND 2ND TEAM. THERE ISNT ONE WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER AND PLAYERS WILL BE USED WHEN NEEDED OR REQUIRED IN EITHER SIDE AS IT SHOULD BE.

PERRANPORTH ARE FULL OF SOUTH WESTERN LEAGUE PLAYERS AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO MATCH WHATEVER ANY CLUB HAS TO OFFER.

THEY ARE A GOOD ORGANISED OUTFIT AND WILL DO WELL THIS YEAR IM SURE BUT WILL NOT WALK AWAY WITH THE TITLE AS PEOPLE PREDICTED.

KAYNE TREVASKIS WAS THEIR BEST PLAYER BY A MILE. I HOPE ANDY BUTCHERS GROIN GETS BETTER SOON I COULD SEE HE WAS STRUGGLING WITH IT!!!!!

Different policy from last season then Winno?

OK M8. I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT IN PREVIOUS POSTS I HAVE SAID THAT IF CLUBS NEED TO DO IT THEN THEY DO IT. WHAT I WAS FRUSTRATED ABOUT AT HELSTON WAS THE STUPID REINSTATEMENT RULE WE HAVE DOWN HERE WHICH STOPS YOU DROPPING PLAYERS DOWN AND BRINING PLAYERS UP. JUNIOR FOOTE. I THINK AND ALWAYS HAVE IF A PLAYER IS UNDER PAR YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DROP HIM DOWN LIKE WISE BRING SOMEONE UP. SEE WHATS HAPPENING AT PERRANPORTH. THERE GOIN TO HAVE A TORRID TIME OF TRYING TO REINSTATE ALL THEIR PLAYERS. AS IS GOSSIE IF HE WANTS TO DROP A PLAYER DOWN FOR A RUN. VERY HARD WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO KEEP A BIG SQUAD HAPPY!!!!!!

IF THERE PLAYING FOR THE CLUB WHATS THE PROBLEM AT WHAT LEVEL THEY PLAYED LAST YEAR......

Couldn't agree with you more there Winno. However, it's not the whole of Cornwall, just the Mining League and Falmouth & Helston league that instists on the rule. Thats why our whole reserve team squad is playing in the Duchy League this season. I wouldn't be surpised if we see some forced changes to the legislation next season :unsure: