Cornwall Football Forum

England Captain

gillo10

As we all know by now John Terry has got the nod for the captain of this great nation of ours. Just curious as to peoples opinion of this choice.

My personal view is that it's the wrong chioce. To the majority of folks in the country the England captain is a bigger influence/role model than the Prime Minister, imagine the up roar if G Brown was in a nightclub peeing on the floor. Over the past few years he has been the captain of a Chelsea side with poor disipline and is often the 1st man to be harrassing the ref during a game. Where was he last year when Cashley Cole was insulting Mike Riley, no-where. Does he ever tell his players they are wrong and walk away, no because they are usually following his lead. Although un-proven he alledgedlly spat at Tevez, yea nice one skip! And this is suppsed to be a time of change for the national team, now we all know pretty much what the team will be but who was skipper during our last period of failure thats right JT

For me ,if it's down to Rio or Terry, it had to be Rio. He is currently the best centre half in the world, a winner and a definate to play where as Terry, with his lack of pace, cannot be sure as he gets older. although he too has made negative headlines I do not feel they are as bad as Terry's. Yes Im a United fan and will probably get called biased but if truth be known I think Gerrard should get the job, yea a scouser, we never see him falling out of nightclubs, we never see him harrasing refs and he is the only player we have capable of really grabbing the game by the scruff. Why was he not even in the final running I ask?!

Guest The Old Man

:clapper: You muppet..... didn't Rio get banned for not taking THREE drug tests???

Wasn't he one of the leaders on Man United's notorious end of season ROASTING session????

Of course he's not the best defender in the world....he plays for a great team and bound to look good...Nemanja Vidic makes his job easier.....think about it.

John Terry was the obvious choice...a leader by example....Rio would never put his boot where JT puts his head.....

And of course....Man Uniteds behaviour towards referees over the years......thats whiter than white...haha

:clapper: You muppet..... didn't Rio get banned for not taking THREE drug tests???

Wasn't he one of the leaders on Man United's notorious end of season ROASTING session????

Of course he's not the best defender in the world....he plays for a great team and bound to look good...Nemanja Vidic makes his job easier.....think about it.

John Terry was the obvious choice...a leader by example....Rio would never put his boot where JT puts his head.....

And of course....Man Uniteds behaviour towards referees over the years......thats whiter than white...haha

On behalf of many im sure, Thank you "The Old Man" for your reply and putting things into perspective and not just in defence of JT but basic facts! Neither Rio or JT are squeeky clean and yes there was a strong case for Gerrard, but a captain is a born leader who would die for his players, country etc and a figure looked upon by his peers has a statesman in every sense of the word when it comes to the sport he plays and a voice that is rivalled by no-other and for those reasons Mr Capello has made the right decision in MY opinion.

First of all no need to call me names, Im a sensitive soul.

Rio did indeed miss, not fail, drug test for which he was punished and has served his sentence which included missing a major international tournament, 4 YEARS AGO. I do not believe Rio was ever mentioned in the "roasting" incident pretty sure that was alll reserve/youth team who were CLEARED of any wrong doing. Whether he is the best in the world is obviously a matter of opinion not fact but Im sure most experts players pundits managers fellow pro's and fans who watch that level of football regularly would say he is pretty damn close to the top for the past couple seasons. And that would not be because of Vidic but bbecause he is a bloody good player. They a great partnership, like Rio and Terry, who compliment each other, one to do the nasty head where it hurts stuff and one the calm footballing type.

Dont think you can bring United history in to this, think we all know the incident, as Rio wasnt even at the club as it was LAST CENTURY!!!. Of course players have a go at refs when they feel hard done by, hell iv walked a few times because of it, but if you watch Chelsea Terry will always be there finger pointing and having a go at him.

I think John Terry is a tremendous player and one of the bravest players iv seen but do not feel he is a good example as skipper of our great country. I feel it was time for a change after a period of complete failure.

Steve Gerrard should have got it!!!!!!!

Guest The Old Man

C'mon man.....

do you have selective memory???......Rio is a thug!!!!....Only four months ago he was throwing his toys out the cot when Chelsea beat Man United at Stamford Bridge.....didn't he kick a female Steward in the players' tunnel.

A fine example to set the future stars of our game....and an obvious choice not to Never be England captain.

Capello got it right.....just accept it

And to say England's failure rests at the hands of the captain...haha......wasn't the Manager from Manchester United??...wasn't Rio playing in any of the qualifying games......

You must be playing football in Mining League Division 7 judging by your footballing knowledge.....no thats not your problem....you got tunnell vision ........Arise Sir Rio :wacko:

The whole argument about who should be England Captian is now over. The manager has decided on JT and therefore isn't it about time that the fans start to get behind the manager, captain and team. Personnally I think he has made the right choice, however, even if he had picked SG or RF I may not have been 100% convinced but I would have backed them becasue that was the choice of the manager.

Let us hope that the team now buckle down and take us to the World Cup finals and maybe JT will be able to lift the trophy. The players know they owe the country for not getting to the Euros. COME ON ENGLAND SHOW US YOUR METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I agree Rio should not be captain, thats why I was backing Gerrard. I believe he kicked a door/board which then knocked in to a steward, bang out of order yes, accident yes, thuggish behaviour not really. Then blown out of proportion by a bird trying to get a free meal ticket.

Sorry you must be reading something else, never have I said England failing was Terrys fault but I do believe that as captain and leader of the team he should shoulder some of the blame, it was time for a change but instead we will stick with the same team, same captain. Of course I will back England 100% whenever we play, that wont change just because I disagree with a decision by the manager ,otherwise I would have stopped supprting them with Sven in was charge. Of course Rio played in some of the matches, he is the best centre half in the world!! :P and thats why it is all the players involved fault, but the captain has more responsibility than other players, yes?

And yes Steve McClaren was at Man United where he won numerous trophies, including the greatest ever feat by a club the Treble, as assistant manager before moving on to Boro and the No2 job with England where he un did all his good work by listening to Sven.

No I do not play in Mining 7, nor will I ever allow myself, and Im probably the least TUNNEL visioned United fan you would ever meet, thats why I was backing Gerrard not Rio!!!!

C'mon man.....

do you have selective memory???......Rio is a thug!!!!....Only four months ago he was throwing his toys out the cot when Chelsea beat Man United at Stamford Bridge.....didn't he kick a female Steward in the players' tunnel.

A fine example to set the future stars of our game....and an obvious choice not to Never be England captain.

Capello got it right.....just accept it

And to say England's failure rests at the hands of the captain...haha......wasn't the Manager from Manchester United??...wasn't Rio playing in any of the qualifying games......

You must be playing football in Mining League Division 7 judging by your footballing knowledge.....no thats not your problem....you got tunnell vision ........Arise Sir Rio :wacko:

The Old Man. I like you sir. Funny and sarcastic :thumbsup: . My two favoutite traits brought together in perfect harmony. THANKYOU The Old Man..

Now to the subject in the title. Correct choice of captain was made from the candidates available to Mr Capello. He would not have been my choice either but he is by far the best for the job at this moment in time.

My choice would have actually been for a player who has performed better than EVERYONE in an England shirt over the last 12-18months and he has probably outperformed his England team-mates in the Premiership over the last decade aswell. He is 26 or 27 years old and been captain of his club for as long as I can remember, He is NEVER in the spotlight for childish pranks or missing drug tests or spitting on opponents etc etc.

He should be the first name on the team sheet when Mr Capello is choosing his side but has so often been overlooked because he isn't a "darling of the press" or he doesn't live the same lifestyle as Beckham, Rio etc etc. His conduct and professionalism over the last month or so has been absolute perfection and other players should take note and learn.

I will probably be ridiculed and battered for my suggestion but as far as I'm concerned it should be goodbye Ferdinand and Terry, Hello Captain Gareth Barry.

A very good choice Coopsie but never gonna happen because as you say he is not a darling of the press, therfore not big time enough therefore not a guarrenteed starter, though as you say on recent form he should be. I agree it should be someone who is not always in the tabloids, someone who the young uns can really aspire to with all aspects of his game, therefore Stevie Gerrard.

The managers choice and we have to go along with it. I'm not to sure he deserves his place because Rio is continually bailing him out. Rio has always been my choice but as I said the manager has made his choice.

The managers choice and we have to go along with it. I'm not to sure he deserves his place because Rio is continually bailing him out. Rio has always been my choice but as I said the manager has made his choice.

U must be joking Rio keeps bailing out JT. Rio is one of the most over rated centre backs in the world. He is good on the ball and is able to stride out of defence, however, his positional sense and defensive qualities are far weaker than John Terry's also I doubt Rio has the heart or the bravery to stick his head or body in where it is going to hurt, he leaves that too the person who partners him that is why when he playes without a strong partner for england or man utd he gets found out.

Why is it that all Captains of their country have to be squeaky clean? you will find those who are totally squeaky clean are not always the best captains (apart from bobby moore who was a legend) this is because you need to have a streak in you to get the best out of the players around you.

Guest crosser

C'mon man.....

do you have selective memory???......Rio is a thug!!!!....Only four months ago he was throwing his toys out the cot when Chelsea beat Man United at Stamford Bridge.....didn't he kick a female Steward in the players' tunne.

I think the only one with selective memory me old mucker is you. Rio is a thug thats the funniest thing i have read on here for a while because he kicked a wall and made contact with a steward. where as your favourite Mr Terry has spent a night in jail crying like a baby because he got in a fight at the wellington club and wasn't he also involved at heathrow airport shortly after 9/11 when him and a few others were :drink::drink::drink: and thought it would be a good idea to insult the americans stranded there etc........

Lets just face England are shit and I feel sorry for any of you suckers watching tonight for another inept performance. With Captain Marvel at the back

Obviously Crosser you have little love for England don't by any chance support any off the insignificant countries that are tagged onto the motherland.

Guest crosser

Obviously Crosser you have little love for England don't by any chance support any off the insignificant countries that are tagged onto the motherland.

hope you don't mean cornwall being insignificant :P

nope. I'm desperate for england to do well...just ain't going to happen until there are major changes so i don't bore or depress myself watching it

nope. I'm desperate for england to do well...just ain't going to happen until there are major changes so i don't bore or depress myself watching it

Fair enough I suppose sometimes fans can only take so much. Main problem with England is where are the goals going to come from? I know that we have the makings of a good solid international team but we look very short in the forward area. Just have to wait and see what the Italian can do for us.

Sure both player's have bailed each other out on numorous occasions, that's what happen in any partnership, you help each other!

Did'nt see the game last night, watching highlights later, but sound like was another poor performance from the same players same captain same system same drab result z zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Let's hope Fabio has something up his sleeve or we all may be watching an England less World Cup in 2010.

to be fair I didnt think we did that bad, attacking wise we showed glimpses of what we can do again not amazing but improving , admitally defending we were awful, second to every ball but i think hargreaves will clear that up when he comes, but more promising then usual.

Changes definately needed somewhere, we have NO pace in midfield and our biggest threat is still set pieces, corners free kicks. The whole "can they both play in the same team" issue is STILL un resolved but seems obvious to most of the nation....they can't!

not sure about Richards r and i, always seems to get caught out but his pace then gets him out of trouble, you watch his next game he is always tackling facing his own goal because he is often out of position. Just think that step up he will get found out big time, at the moment anyway, still young.

Changes are needed, lets hope for 6 mill a year Fabio knows the answers

what gets me with england is how every other country keep hold of the ball well and when we get it we just give it back to them . when will we learn the way we play we will only score from set pieces . if most of that team played like that for their clubs they would never get a game.

Why is everybody on about who should be Captain surely the question should be who and what formation the team should play. This was a friendly match supposedly looking at what players are best for England. So why werent some of the supposed called fringe players given a chance after all with the exception of Defoe this was basically the same team that failed miserably to get England into the Euro finals this summer. And why has Brian Barwick decided to throw in the towel surely he should have done this many a blue moon ago with the Football Associations selection of recent England managers in the past few years.

I agree Barbs about England but what gets me is why Barwick was ever employed in the first place. I'm afraid he is a glorified office clerk with little knowledge of football, not a chief executive

As to who should be England captain. last night proved that he is just not up to the job.

Its now taken Capello about a year to ,hopefully, work out there is a lot wrong with the national side. Be have not moved on at all. Why did no one sit down with him and say it aint working it needs changing NOW. We have spent another year going nowhere but backwards achieving what we alredy had, nothing.

We need players who are on form and playing in the correct position, i mean c'mon who in there fight mind would have the best attacking central midfielder we have playing on the left? The only player we have got who can really get at and go past defenders and create something from nothing is Joe Cole, in my view anyway, and he was on the bench.

careful ECPL you get crucified for going sagainst the great JT on here :lol: