Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth have big FA Cup incentive

Thisiscornwall.co.uk ©

WITH Truro City waiting in the next round, former striker Andy Bowker needs no bigger incentive to help current club Falmouth Town make FA Cup progress on Wednesday night.

The Falmouth Town player-manager will play against Shaftesbury for the second time in four days after Saturday's extra preliminary round clash ended in a 2-2 stalemate.

Only an injury time equaliser denied Town their place in the next round in a game Bowker's men had twice led.

Falmouth missed a hatful of chances against a Shaftesbury side who went into the original tie as favourites.

But the ball is very much now in Falmouth's court and it is an opportunity Bowker is determined to make the most of.

"Obviously I know all about Truro and I would love to make it through to the next round and play them," said Bowker.

"If we get through on Wednesday then it would be a great financial boost for the club.

"It would be a local tie and I'd like to think there would be a good crowd for the game.

"But first we have to overcome Shaftesbury, which isn't going to be easy."

Bowker was delighted with the response of his side on Saturday, seven days after losing 6-1 in their opening league game of the season.

And the forward, who netted his second goal in as many games at Shaftesbury (again from the penalty spot), will be hoping they can continue their mini-revival at Bickland Park on Wednesday night.

"It was a big improvement on the Plymouth Parkway performance and we have to make sure we repeat that on Wednesday.

"We changed our formation as a consequence of the Plymouth game and it worked very well for us.

"The lads did well but we allowed them into the game by switching off.

"We have to be more organised and to help with that I've told them that we'll be training twice a week instead of once.

"Shaftesbury play at a higher level than us so I think if we were told we'd draw two-two before the game we would have grabbed it.

"In the end we could have scored three or four goals after hitting the post twice.

"The team is still learning and if we continue to work hard hopefully we'll get that right result on Wednesday night."

And with the Shaftesbury squad facing the long journey from Dorset on the morning of the game, Bowker believes his players will need to take advantage of their predicament.

"They have over four hours to drive on Wednesday and a lot of their players will be coming straight from work," said Bowker.

"We must be prepared, use that to our advantage and make a very good start because they will still be a bit leggy."

Guest SLIC VIC

Will they be selling any hot food on the night, if i know before hand i can bring a packed lunch with me after travelling for an hour and forty minutes because i almost fainted after my last visit to Bickland Park. Could you let me know a s a p.

just to let you guys and girls know i feel falmouth will win and win comfortable on wednesday night i believe with the tie being on a wednesday night not many people can get time of work etc to travel so far down to play my prediction falmouth 4 -1 winners !!!! :drink:

Guest Postie Pidge

Slic Vic we are hoping to get that problem sorted. Why oh why don't people wanna work in a kitchen when there is a football match on!!