Cornwall Football Forum

16/08/2008

Truro 0

Thatcham 0

City can possibly think themselves a little lucky not to have lost this one.

Apart from a Scott Walker header early in the second half, which he really should have scored from, it's difficult to recall the visitors' 'keeper being tested.

In contrast Thatcham's strikers should have scored on a couple of occasions.

Yes, it was like a Sportscene reunion at Treyew Road this afternoon! My season ticket got its first airing and what a fascinating game. A bit like one of those Vase encounters of the past, against teams from a higher level: the first quarter was spent surviving, getting used to a faster pace with the opposition half a yard faster and with greater technical ability. Next quarter, catching up and being lucky not to fall behind, Thatcham's Johnson (no. 9) missing two good chances. Second half, more in the game and then, after going 3-5-2, taking the game to Thatcham with the chance to nick it. New signing McConnell looked okay; Jake Ash as a centre back did well but we missed his charges up the wing; wasn't impressed by Baker at 3; and more than ever, the team needs a big, hairy, ugly, mean, big (oh, I've said that, haven't I) target man to cause mayhem in the opposition's box for the likes of Yetts, Watkins, Tolley - whoever's on - to exploit. Joe Broad provided a bit of shape in midfield and was the one soul to fill midfield for Truro's corners when he, Tom Smith, Martin Rice (looked safe) and the greyhound belonging to the bloke in the stand were about the only people in the ground NOT in Thatcham's box! Could have been 3 points; could have been none. Could be an interesting season. Promotion? Hmm! I'll stick my neck out and predict "no" and you all know how accurate my on-air predictions have been in the past.

Went along to the game on Saturday it being the first ever at this level in Cornwall and unlike some people around me enjoyed the game because i watched it from a realistic viewpoint....it is a much higher standard than Truro have been used to and overall I though they handled it pretty well - certainly no classic and few clear cut chances but some good one touch football and gritty endeavour by both sides - Tom SMITH and the Thatcham no5 were outstanding and great credit must go to the groundsman for such a good playing surface - that said could anyone from the club explain why only 1of the two new turnstiles were open when it was the first game of the season with a decent crowd surely expected and a huge queue forming in the heavy rain????? also the tannoy announcements were very poor and the guy seemed to be unsure of the players names including Truro's .....a little more efficency and enthusiasm required bur overall a very impressive set up and a good afternoon's entertainment.

pete,

the 2nd turnstile was opened when the queue was building up about 20mins before kick-off, you must have gone through before it was opened.

It is only the 1st game but if there are any indications from it on the difference in standards by moving up to the Southern League then it should be an interesting & hard-fought season at Treyew Road.