Cornwall Football Forum

BROKEN BONES

Guest mariner

Guest mariner

2 weeks ago i broke and dislocated my right wrist just wondered if anyone out there started playing before the docs recommended healing time and how they got on, had enough of not playing

In 1996 I had reconstructive surgery of my hand/wrist and relocation of tendons and ligaments. I was like you and got bored, so after a month I got the hospital to take off the huge clumpy bandages and plaster off and replace them with a lightweight one. I spent a month wearing that and playing (with permission of opposing manager's and captain's) with a glove over the top of it.

I was then getting fed up with all the asking of permission each week, so I chopped off the plaster after 3 months and played without it. Unfortunately I went up for a header and got shoved in the back, went down on top of my hand and then had another operation to realign the pins and spent a further 6months in plaster :(

So mate, it's totally your call but if you strap it up well and are comfortable to give it a go. Get in there son and fill your boots.

However, take care because you can quite easily end up back at square one.

:o Fractured my leg in late March,somehow got the itch to play asap and had the cast off in just under 5weeks,tried to play final game of the season in early May and couldnt kick the ball let alone tackle anyone,i was in such a hurry to play,so here i am August time and still not healed properly,just proves dont hurry injuries,especially when you get older!

Takes at least 6 weeks for a fractured wrist to heal.

Would strongly advise against playing as further injury could lead to permanent problems (seen plenty of these in my line of work).

Also, as Coopsie inferred you wouldnt be allowed to play with a plaster cast which I presume youve still got on.

The dislocation will probably cause more problems than the fracture in the long term.

Totally your choice Mariner and depending what kind of muppet you are depends what choice you'll make.

For a fracture AND dislocation you shouldn't even be thinking about it after only 2 weeks. Bone repair isn't the only thing you're dealing with - you've also got nerve and blood supplies to the hand that will have been damaged and need time. Any manager who lets you play after only 2 weeks should take a long hard look at themself as well.

Buy a rain coat & give support from the sidelines Matey, you'll be glad in the long run :D

mate coming back when you think you are ready is always too soon, for a major injury like that add 3 weeks onto the time that it takes to heal normally as when people say its healed it doesnt always mean it healed to play sport, came back fro ma fractured ankle after 6 weeks, thought it was fine but have nothing but JIP with it

Guest Helston Patriot

I played 2 weeks after having a metal plate put in my hand, Had to get the ref and both managers to inspect the plaster cast and then put padding over it. happy days

My advice on this situation having been in it for a long time is its better to take 4-6 weeks off than sit 6 months out! Snapping my cruiciate ligaments in my knee it took a wait of 12 months for reconstructive surgery and 16 months rehab until kicking a football. These days if i ever get a problem/injury and its a case of sitting out a 2-3 weeks i do it. I guess ive learnt to be patient over the years and DONT risk your health just for a game of football as much as you love it!

Mariner, the two replies after mine are MUCH more sensible mate. If I was you I'd pay more attention to them because, at the end of the day I am an idiot. :c:

NO YOUR NOT :blink:

Thankyou Mr M. You're a legend. By the way, you'll be pleased to know that I AM playing again this season and have actually been made skipper of our reserves. We had our first friendly at Pendeen last night and the lads played with pride and passion and got a 1-1 draw but truly deserved to win. Oh, the Gulval goal was scored by...... ME ;) ..

Just one word of warning for anybody likely to be facing Pendeen this coming season. They have a guy playing for them called JOE. He is a young(ish), slightly philipino looking guy and although I hate to say this, "he is an absolute ****". He spent the whole game diving 2 footed into layers and literally EVERY word was "f**k off". He wasn't even slightly discreet about it and was literally shouting these words at the very top of his voice and after each 2 footed lunge, he would get up and be looking for a fight and getting somebody's face.

I don't like to put people down but every player that could come up against this idiot should know what a danger he is to you and your team mates and IF you are a team that has one of those players that is likely to smack somebody if they go too far, it's probably a good idea to make sure they go nowhere near this JOE character because I guarantee to you that they will knock his head off and then you'll be losing a player for a month or more.

Just a warning guys that's all and I was not attempting to hijack this thread.

Oh, mariner mate. you've had some pretty sensible advice here and it's almost definate that you'll be better to err on the side of caution and make doubly sure that you're COMPLETELY healed. Good luck buddy :thumbsup:

thnaks for the words of advice coopsie!!

are you saying there are people who play football out there that like to fight and punch peoiple??

Yes mate and I was also shocked to hear of this revelation aswell. Just didn't think we had that element in our game in this day and age ;) :c:

THANKYOU Mr M, you truly are a star.. I really hope you're right about Johnny Webster meeting up with the plank that goes by the name of Joe BUT as you and I well know, Johnny is way too smart to incur a minimum 35 day ban just for the sake of an insignificant little blot on the landscape. Let's just hope that there are some strong officials out there that will deal with the numpty.

IF they stick to the letter of the law I really don't see how this Joe can last anymore than 10 minutes in any game because I really wasn't exaggerating when I said EVERY word is f**k. I was actually embarrassed for his team mates and the annoying thing is when I found myself squared up to this idiot, all I could think about was the bloody armband on my sleeve and how I didn't want to let my teammates down. Sometimes I hate being within the confines of those white lines. :(

THANKYOU Mr M, you truly are a star.. I really hope you're right about Johnny Webster meeting up with the plank that goes by the name of Joe BUT as you and I well know, Johnny is way too smart to incur a minimum 35 day ban just for the sake of an insignificant little blot on the landscape. Let's just hope that there are some strong officials out there that will deal with the numpty.

IF they stick to the letter of the law I really don't see how this Joe can last anymore than 10 minutes in any game because I really wasn't exaggerating when I said EVERY word is f**k. I was actually embarrassed for his team mates and the annoying thing is when I found myself squared up to this idiot, all I could think about was the bloody armband on my sleeve and how I didn't want to let my teammates down. Sometimes I hater being within the confines of those white lines. :(

WELL THAT MAKES YOU TWICE THE MAN HE WILL EVER BE :clapper: