Cornwall Football Forum

Redruth United's 15 year anniversary & a testimonial

Redruth United Football Club celebrate our 15 year anniversary on 13th August. We've decided to mark the occasion to coincide with another milestone - that of Redruth's talisman captain Phil Nicholls who this year celebrates his 10th season at the club, earning himself a testimonial game.

To celebrate both events, a match has been arranged at Redruth's home ground, Clijah Croft, Redruth this coming Saturday 16th August at 3.30pm between Redruth's first team, and a selection of former players from down the years who between them played over 2500 games for Redruth.

The "old boys" team will be managed and captained by Nigel Andrew who is Redruth's 3rd all-time appearance holder, and currently plays for the Reserve team. Appearances are also expected from Dave Knowles, Graham Bolt, Daniel Perkins, Simon Semmens, Paul Hawkey, Shaun Gray, John Salmon, Graham Hawkey, Mark Kemp, Nigel Collins, Mark Evans, Mark Roberts, Kevin Endean, Allan Buckley, Callum Salmon, Matt Eddy, Andrew Jenkin.

Supporters are welcome, and if anyone else is interested in joining in, please contact Darren Lewarne on 07760 374642 or redruth.unitedfc@btinternet.com .

Thanks

Darren Lewarne

Club Secretary

first of all lets stick to the subject here please if you want to have a chat pm each other . rant over

darren congratulations on keeping the club giong for fifteen years you have done a great job and a lot of good players have come through redruth united . keep it up mate

as for phil everyone who knows him or has played against him will know he always gives 100% every week and he has been doing it for a long time . i should know because he played in my first ever game in mens football and that was in 1981 he was a flying winger then and now he is the midfield general and still one of the best midfielders in the mining league.

both of you keep up the good work i will try to have ten minutes at the end if im not shattered after portreaths game either way i will see you at the legion

Redruth Utd 4 (Nicholls pen; Munday; McCabe; Curnow pen)

Redruth Utd Old Boys 1 (Lewarne :clapper: )

A big thank you to everyone who took part in yesterday's game.

Despite the weather, a well-attended game with around 20 supporters.

Line-ups

Redruth United:

Mark Eccles; Simon Barrand; Joseph (Curly) Curnow; Barry McCabe; Adam Townsend; Andrew Symons; Phil Nicholls ©; Ryan Baber; James Petty; Guy Johnson; Danny Munday. Sub Richard Ward.

Redruth United Old Boys:

Dave Knowles; Nigel (Nobby) Collins; Darren Lewarne; Simon Semmens; Graham Bolt; Mark (Digit) Roberts; Mark Evans; Nigel Andrew ©; Graham Hawkey; Kevin Endean; Matt Eddy. Subs Julian Commons; Damien Norman; John Salmon; Callum Salmon; Allan Buckley. Not used - Paul Hawkey (injured during the warm-up)

Referee: Martin Eddy. Linesmen Shaun Gray & Graham Stephens.

An entertaining game, with plenty of smiles, a few scowls here and there and all the goals in the first half as the Old Boys shut the gate in the second half!

Opening goal came within 10 minutes, courtesy of myself, as I suddenly found myself running from centre half and beating the offside trap, to round the keeper and slot the ball into an empty net. The current team looked on in disbelief as most of them had never seen me run more than 20 yards without stopping, let alone a box to box run. :lol:

Fittingly for a game that celebrated both the club and Phil Nicholls, it was Captain Marvel himself who levelled the score from the penalty spot after Simon Semmens had fouled Guy Johnson in the box. The aftershocks of Dave Knowles flying off his feet to his left narrowly missing the ball were felt in Beijing. :D

Redruth then went 2-1 ahead with Danny Munday coolly chipping Dave Knowles from just inside the box. They took a 3-1 lead as Barry McCabe's mis-hit cross caught everyone by surprise as it sneaked past Knowles at the near post.

The fourth goal also came from the spot, but not before the red mist descended on Mark Evans, reminding me of all those years ago when it was like trying to cage an angry bull. Prior to Mark deciding to take a breather, he showed us some of the class we remember, diving in, winning tackles, spraying passes left and right, and reforming a solid partnership with Nigel Andrew in the midfield battle against Phil Nicholls and Ryan Baber.

With Johnson having been rugby-tackled to the ground by Digit, and referee Eddy having no option but to point to the spot for a second time, Nicholls handed over the ball to Curly who stepped up to the spot to score his first goal for Redruth.

The floodgates looked like they were going to open in the second half as the Old Boys struggled to contain a Redruth forward line pushing three up, before a call to the cavalry came as John & Callum Salmon and Allan Buckley rode down over the Clijah hill on their horses and joined in the last 25 minutes once their game for Portreath had ended, to help to ease some of the Old Boys aching legs.

A good day, enjoyed by all.

Guest postman pat

apart from 30secs in the first half it was an excellent game to ref. :D sorry could not get to the legion after the game darren good luck to you and the boys for the coming season :c: hope your nosebleed is better after the run for your goal :P enjoyed the midfield battle as you said very competitive :clapper: